Home

List of Ahto Imperial appointments: complaints

Adavardes

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, I have updated the requirements for getting the Jester badge back to the way I originally planned it.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=195680

The staff no longer have any say in who does and doesn't get the Jester badge, it's all up to the members themselves. All a staff member will do is carry out the request.

I would just like everyone to know that the irony of the above post is not lost on me. :p

And Achilles was banned because he decided to use a sledgehammer in dealing with this very issue. The posts concerning that occurence were, of course, conveniently deleted as well. ;)

The Achilles posts are deleted because they violated the rules. Provided a complaint from any member - not necessarily a staff member, as was the case here - they would have likewise been deleted. They are still accessible by staff for the purpose of record, but if you missed them, then you just weren't fast enough.

As for our objectivity, Achilles was not banned by the staff member he targeted. There was a post made in our staff forum and a third party administrator had a look at it. Then there was some back and forth and that administrator reached out to another admin and myself (who is definitely not involved in anything any more) to make sure everything was on the level. This is far more than any other forum would have done.

If you really don't like DI that much you can always put him on your ignore list with whoever else you feel you don't want to have to deal with. I can understand being sick and tired of other peoples asshattery, I really can.

I believe that DI has more of a problem with me than I will ever have with him. ;)

...on the subject of immaturity, I'm guilty as charged... and I can safely say that I can be even more immature than any of the suspect elitists too.

I'm as guilty as anyone in this regard, but I do try to recognize that there are times and places for such behavior, and that the decision-making process when determining and enforcing forum policy is not one of them.

While I'm happy to point out that the majority of the staff is more than capable of making this distinction, it has come to my attention over the past several months that a small number of them are not, and that they are aware of this to the extent that they feel the need to cover their tracks, and each other's tracks as well, but at the same time they don't seem to recognize the need to alter their behavior.

I can describe this behavior with one word: hypocrisy, and I believe that it is far more guilty of "spoiling teh funz" on this forum than all of my bitching about it could ever be.

While I know that it can never be eliminated, I believe that if I succeed in bringing it to the attention of some of those who were previously unaware of it, then this whole sordid affair has at least served some constructive purpose.

Now I wish I was, it's more interesting being the troublemaker :p

I can relate to that; obviously. :xp:

@matt--: I am in no way excusing or trying to justify Achilles' actions. Tactics like those he used have a tendency to undermine the effectiveness of one's argument despite its validity, which is why I'm trying a different approach: one that doesn't break the rules.

I believe that DI has more of a problem with me than I will ever have with him. ;)

Either way, it's a solution you should consider.

I'm as guilty as anyone in this regard, but I do try to recognize that there are times and places for such behavior, and that the decision-making process when determining and enforcing forum policy is not one of them.

Agreed.

While I'm happy to point out that the majority of the staff is more than capable of making this distinction, it has come to my attention over the past several months that a small number of them are not, and that they are aware of this to the extent that they feel the need to cover their tracks, and each other's tracks as well, but at the same time they don't seem to recognize the need to alter their behavior.

I can describe this behavior with one word: hypocrisy, and I believe that it is far more guilty of "spoiling teh funz" on this forum than all of my bitching about it could ever be.

While I know that it can never be eliminated, I believe that if I succeed in bringing it to the attention of some of those who were previously unaware of it, then this whole sordid affair has at least served some constructive purpose.

"Don't you worry about Planet Express, let me worry about blank"

As stated before, the staff isn't one unified group who all agree with each other about everything... man, it'd be SO much easier if it was! We often debate and argue about a lot of things and most of the time we don't agree about a lot of things. I know all of the staff, at least on the Star Wars side of the forum so I know more about what goes on with the people you're mentioning than you do. If you think that certain staff simply gets away with certain things they may or may not have done?... I'm going to say right now. You are wrong.

Yes, there needs to be a level of accountability for the staff's actions. But also, yes, the entire forum staff is aware that certain members feel that certain staff are complete hypocrites and despite what you and others may think, it's not ignored.

Right now you're not exactly telling us anything new. That said, we have heard your concerns...

Got any solutions?

Yes, there needs to be a level of accountability for the staff's actions. But also, yes, the entire forum staff is aware that certain members feel that certain staff are complete hypocrites and despite what you and others may think, it's not ignored.

That is very reassuring to know. :)

Right now you're not exactly telling us anything new. That said, we have heard your concerns...

Got any solutions?

Of course I have a solution. One that is very simple in concept and yet would be very difficult to implement in practice.

The offender(s) should be openly identified by their peers in the staff and warned that if their hypocritical enforcement of forum policy continues, their status and privileges will be revoked, and, most importantly, to actually follow through on the threat if one of them decides to put the rest of you to the test by ignoring the warning and continuing on their merry, hypocritical way. It would be even better if one of the offenders actually did defy the rest of you and was consequently demoted because that person would serve as a public example to everyone here that members of the staff are not untouchable.

I believe that, as long as it is genuine, the mere (but real) threat of such a public humiliation would be enough to solve the problem, given that appearances are all-important to a certain personality type, a type that has been freely exhibited by those to whom I am alluding. ;)

So in other words you want us to continue what we're doing now pretty much?

Did I mention that the staff don't always agree on issues and that it'd be much easier if we did? Like you said, it's a very difficult thing to put into practice... and in reality, it's a nightmare in the staff forums when it does go down.

However, the one thing we don't practice is public humiliation... it would be hypocritical to take such action because from what has been suggested, that is exactly what certain staff members have been doing in the first place.

However, the one thing we don't practice is public humiliation... it would be hypocritical to take such action because from what has been suggested, that is exactly what certain staff members have been doing in the first place.

I think that you misunderstand me. I wasn't suggesting that a public show be made of any demotion. I was merely acknowledging the fact that the effects of said demotion would be very public, indeed, without anything at all being said about it. ;)

I know of three people on that list who should have been banned, and I know who comes to their defence on a daily basis.

You seem to be disagreeing with yourself here. Is there favoritism or not? Also, if you have some sort of evidence that I or any other member should be banned, speak it, and cite it, or don't bring it it up again.

I walked away from the thread at that point. I took the deletion as your post was not good enough. I walked away with thinking my posts were not welcomed in there; thus, I glossed over Jae's reasoning behind the deletion. Why bother nominating anyone if it doesn't mater?

Baw. You got your nomination fulfilled. Why is it our problem if you choose to gloss over Jae's reasoning?

I keep saying this to everyone. Kick people around, large amounts of people walk away, and you no longer have any forums. This goes for moderators, admins, myself, and other forumites.

Actually not true. But if you want to leave and see how it works, be my guest.

I agree. On both counts. Moderators and admins may have extremely good reasons to delete posts; however, we all respond to actions emotionally. It gets in the way of rational reasoning, and people are driven into thinking the opposite of what is being conveyed. We end up ignoring moderator and admin posts. Why? We took offense. We then become enraged and emotional, and then the can of worms explodes.

You took offense? Sorry. Not the staff's problem.

_EW_

This thread is made of both win and failure. Therefore, let it be hereby transcribed in the Book of LucasForums that on this day, the Internet was decreed to hold SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Also, who was branded as an elitist snob, precisely?

Everyone on the list, Kat-Mandu, leader of the Monster Raving Party, and Bill O'Reilly, apparently.

I hate to do this to you, but where was the response? I can't find your response in the associated thread, nor can I find the forumite's name with the related badge.

Since you seemed to have missed my post after Niners... we've updated the requirements. Read the opening post for the details and resubmit your recommendation.

People seem to forget that things take time.

Q: Where'd my badge request go?

Assumption: The staff hates me and deleted my posts

Real Answer: The staff deleted the post in the process of trimming the fat of the thread (which was specified in the rules of the thread early on) and the badge is in the process of being awarded.

Q: Why don't the staff enforce all the rules to the letter?

Assumption: The staff members are bad, negligent hypocrites who should never run for public office.

Real anwser: This is an Internet forum FFS. Our global economy isn't going to collapse because the moderators let slide some amount of good-natured, fun spamming. Also, our staff members should probably never run for public office.

People seem to forget that things take time.

Q: Where'd my badge request go?

Assumption: The staff hates me and deleted my posts

Real Answer: The staff deleted the post in the process of trimming the fat of the thread (which was specified in the rules of the thread early on) and the badge is in the process of being awarded.

Q: Why don't the staff enforce all the rules to the letter?

Assumption: The staff members are bad, negligent hypocrites who should never run for public office.

Real anwser: This is an Internet forum FFS. Our global economy isn't going to collapse because the moderators let slide some amount of good-natured, fun spamming. Also, our staff members should probably never run for public office.

I wish that you were right, Kojo, I really do. :(

But in my case this has gone on for about eight months now, not just the past couple of days, and has happened too often to myself and others (besides Adavardes) to be a mere coincidence. It's happened in places on this forum where you don't roam, so you wouldn't know first-hand, but this isn't just an isolated incident. I haven't said anything about it until now because I find the concept of ratting distasteful. I've never even reported on anybody, even when I've certain people's posts extremely offensive. I don't like ratting.

And I'm certainly not generalizing by stating or inferring that it's all of the staff, or even most of the staff. AFAIK it's actually just a small part of the staff.

Lynk has stated earlier in this thread that he is aware of it, as are other members of the staff, and that I'm not the first one to complain about it, so maybe something will be done about it.

Archived