Home

Dogs or cats?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs or cats?

^^^

That you have to clean out, and, god, does that thing reek! I don't see the litter-box as an advantage.

My dogs don't need to be walked. I've trained them to stick around and they don't go anywhere, so I just let them out, and they let me know when they're ready to come back in. They also keep the riff-raff away. Cats don't do that.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^^

That you have to clean out, and, god, does that thing reek! I don't see the litter-box as an advantage.

Solution: Don't inhale the toxic gasses while getting rid of it.

Another advantage I see with cats is the lack of certain things. No barking. No drooling. No creatures in excess of 20 Ibs jumping on you. Some dogs can't mix with cats. Can't get dogs in an apartment.

Among other things.

I think that being reaised there helps the animal to identify your place as "home", but that doesn't mean he's loyal.

Cats can be incredibly loyal.

We had some friends come stay with us one time, and they brought their toddler, Steven, with him. Of course I played with him and bounced him on my lap, giving him lots of love. He got down off my lap and toddled over to his parents, and my cat Ophelia immediately jumped into my lap. Steven saw the cat and decided she was interesting, and toddled back to us. Ophelia hissed right in his face, informing him in no uncertain terms that I was her person, not his. She and our other cat, Higgins, would catch the rare mouse that found their way into our house and leave them, dead, outside our bedroom door as presents for us. Now, I can tell you it was not fun to step down on a dead mouse with a bare foot first thing in the morning, but I thanked them profusely for making it dead just the same.

@Qliveur--we use a draw string litterbox liner. Pull the drawstring up, tie it shut, end of smell. Also, we don't let it get so bad that it reeks.

Is it April already. Lolz.

I don't know... Sometimes I could do without being used as a pin cushion in my sleep. :lol:
Tell me about it... Why must cats claw us when they're resting on our lap? :D

Cats can be incredibly loyal.

We had some friends come stay with us one time, and they brought their toddler, Steven, with him. Of course I played with him and bounced him on my lap, giving him lots of love. He got down off my lap and toddled over to his parents, and my cat Ophelia immediately jumped into my lap. Steven saw the cat and decided she was interesting, and toddled back to us. Ophelia hissed right in his face, informing him in no uncertain terms that I was her person, not his. She and our other cat, Higgins, would catch the rare mouse that found their way into our house and leave them, dead, outside our bedroom door as presents for us. Now, I can tell you it was not fun to step down on a dead mouse with a bare foot first thing in the morning, but I thanked them profusely for making it dead just the same.

Haha, that's one amusing story. But that does sound more like jealousy. :xp:

My dog has voted (I had no part in it, I swear :D):

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
DSC08833.jpg

Anyway, I really like them both, but cats won't follow me to places like this one:

Show spoiler
49.jpg

That is all. :p

Awesome pics, all. :)

In my experience, the best dog to have is a spayed female, while the best cat is a neutered male.

If you don't plan on breeding them, spaying and neutering is the best and most responsible thing that you can do for your pet. [/bob Barker]

Unspayed cat=obnoxious yowling when in heat, unneutered male cat=very strong urine odor and spraying in the house (since all our cats are indoor cats). None of our cats have missed their reproductive organs, and it's made them happier and less stressed overall, and much more enjoyable to be with. A few days of pain (which the vets do treat with painkillers) for a much better life for pet and human, along with no fear of the animal getting pregnant or getting another animal pregnant, is totally worth it.

It's not mutilation. It helps them enjoy their domestic lives better because they're not preoccupied with getting laid. :D

animals can be excused for their their animalistic behaviour though...

As for us, it is a wonderful joke on the part of evolution that the urge by which our species is perpetuated is also the urge that is also at the crux of much misery, woe, and poor decision making in general :xp:

mtfbwya

Before I became re-singlified, I had 3 cats and two dogs. I still say dogs. The only cat I likes was Fred.

One of the cats we had before was named Fred. He stole his name from a famous fred from movies... Kreuger. he had another name before that, but he convinced his servants that he needed another name. Fred was unlike most cats. I liked him because he HATED cats. He is also a confirmed cat killer. He put 3 people in the hospital. He liked me because I didn't like cats. Actually anyone that didn't like cats was good in his book. But if you went up to him saying something silly like "Wow that's a pretty kitty, I loooooove cats..." you were walkin away with at best a flesh wound(though more likely needing a bandage of some sort). Fred loved pasta. If you were eating any pasta, you had better give him some. He'd give you warnings... then(unless you were at the table) he would get on the arm of the chair and look at you. That was your last chance to give him some. If you didn't, he would sneeze in your plate. Then he would look at you like, "You still wanna eat that?"

Fred died after being attacked by an owl and winning. He had the deep puncture wounds and talons to prove it(not much left of the bird outside of that. We took him to the vet and patched him up. He didn't like being in the "sock" one bit. That day, Fred went out and the only thing we had left was the sock in the back yard. Almost went out Jedi like. Unfortunately his body was found two blocks over.

We ended up "adopting" another cat who went by the name Maximillion. I learned really quickly that his name was derived from The Black Hole. He decided that my closet would be his place. Having seen what Fred could do, I wasn't taking chances when I had to grab Max out of that closet. I put on my welding gloves over thick work gloves over a set of mechanics gloves. That sucker went through all 3 layers and gave me a nice jab. We couldn't get rid of him.

As for the dogs. Jack Russell Terrier. FRIGGINBALLOFENERGYDOG Willy B. I figured that was an appropriate name for a dog. Willy B good... Willy B bad. That dog was too smart. And he knew how to play the Cute Card™. He wasn't much for home defense, but he never barked unless someone came on our property. Truth be told though if you came in the house looking for valuables, I think the dog would have helped you find where the good stuff was. On an average day, you would see a flash of brown and white. then it would go the other way. chasing.... nothing...

Then we got the Bull Mastiff(no, since you ask, I'm not much for middle of the road haha) Spartacus. That dog was big, and definitely intimidating. 200lbs of muscle. Deep vicious growl. heart of gold. He thought he was a tiny dog though. He would try to sneak... and as you can imagine, 200 lbs of dog doesn't sneak very well. He didn't bark nearly at all. The only time he barked was when some guy tried to climb over our back fence, then Spartacus went chasing after him. I think that guy left a pee trail. Wouldn't you if it was very late at night, poorly lit, and a huge black dog came chasing at you from the darkness. It was kinda funny too, because the guy hopped back over the fence into the waiting arms of police officers. I gave him a big ole steak after that.

Also for you dog lovers out there. If you didn't know already a neat treat for them is to take a small butter dish and make a little frozen puck(about an inch of water). It's great fun for them, and they seem to like it better than the toys they destroy in seconds. Not only that, but it costs almost nothing.

Joey is one mellow dude. And a big one, too. Here he is sitting in our kitchen windowsill.

aww! Give him a big cuddle! I love big strong cats. That pic of Astro Jr was taken 4 years ago when he was still a kitten. He now is an 8.5 kilo velvety throw rug for his little snow bengal brother, Kimba(3yo)

Along with the points Q has outlined, Im also preferential to repsonsible cat ownership. Any pet that is hurting other people and animals should relocated to an appopriate location(if it a naturally wild animal) or be put down. My two are neutered purebreeds. I havent had one iota of trouble with either of them. Kimba doesnt really like kids that come by(noisy little nieces), but rather than terrifying them with his leopard like features, he goes to a quieter part of the house and chills out until the noise is gone :shades2:

Show spoiler
Astrokimba.jpg

mtfbwya

Archived