Home

Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

Tysyacha

1. When did you first become/find out/decide you were an atheist/agnostic?
Like Pavlos, I prayed to Jesus as a very small boy, letting him know what I wanted for Christmas - I figured he'd tell Santa, assuming they worked in adjacent offices. Around age 11 I started to have significant doubts about the conception of an "all benevolent god", and started towards agnosticism. High school friends of mine (Aquinas HS) who were catholic (I was not) engaged me in debate quite often, and I ended up having a group of friends known as I.N.G.A.G. I am still a powerful member of this group :lol:

I became a near atheist, strongly agnostic, upon reading The Brother's Karamazov, my sophomore year in college. The suffering of children....

2. Were you afraid to let your family and friends know?
My mom has been in and out of many faiths, and is agnostic herself, although highly spiritual. She started asking me the questions, so my independent thinking is a result of her questions. Thanks Mom, really!

My parents split when I was 5, so I could care less what my Dad thinks of my opinions, on, well, anything. Friends like me for me anyway, so I have never edited myself on this topic, or just about any other for that matter.

3. If you told them you were an atheist or agnostic, how did they react?
Big surprise..... they have all heard me talk for a long time. I am the loud voice of dissension.

4. Other than the obvious one (you believe God does not exist and/or it is impossible to know whether God exists), what are your "beefs" with religion?
Organized religion is guilty of creating just about every modern problem we face today. That is a giant blanket statement with no evidence provided, yet I think it will a giant task for any of you to dispute this. So, Macro-Religion is my biggest beef.... I do not like group-think, I do not like conditioning.

5. Have other people tried to proselytize you to convert to their faith? Which faith(s)? Did any of their arguments seem persuasive, or were they hokey?
Ever and anon. I have heard very few persuasive arguments, more often hokey to the extreme. I have had many people in the south here try to lay hands on me for healing purposes.... that is pretty wacky, when someone you met today wants to heal you with the divine power of God working through your hands.... then "heals you" and looks for gratitude. If I had ever been healed, I would have been grateful, but not to the person who healed me... but to God herself!

6. As an atheist or agnostic, what book is your favorite on the subject?
Hmm... not sure. I like to read philosophy, so I guess Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, Sartre, Camus. On the flip, Descartes, Kierkegaard... no specific titles, I have read to much and forgotten most of it.

7. Which agnostic/atheist authors do you respect? Which don't you respect?
I respect most any author, it takes a lot of work.

10. What is your highest value in life? What do you treasure most?
The idea of someday living a life worthy of a human being.

ooo a set of questions. *slobber*

since as long as i can remember.

hah, hardly. they're all atheists aswell, and the ones that aren't are either agnostic or haven't really thought about it.

with ambivalence. they don't mind what i believe i think.

4. Other than the obvious one (you believe God does not exist and/or it is impossible to know whether God exists), what are your "beefs" with religion?

the organisations and the extremist elements. as Ghandhi said "i like your christ..."

5. Have other people tried to proselytize you to convert to their faith? Which faith(s)? Did any of their arguments seem persuasive, or were they hokey?

never.

never really read any to be honest.

see 6.

8. Of the philosophies out there that aren't religious, which one's your fave?

again, i haven't really studied in depth any (i'm not that well suited to these questions actually, but what the hell), but i guess my view is solipsistic - a bit. only in that i would need to experience any supernatural of any sort personally and irrefutably before i would accept it.

9. Which do you think is just as hokey as traditional religious philosophies?

most really.

choice, and myself.

that last answer sounds cold, but its hard to explain. give me several beers and a willing audience and i'd hold forth with vigour :xp:

Like a year ago, after a few R.E lessons, I found it really ridiculous.

Nope :D

I told them, because I was baptised as a baby but I don't believe in that stuff. They didn't mind - were not really a religious family.

God making it all in 7 days is wayyy ridiculous. Jesus being the son of god and god giving mary her baby is ridiculous. IMO its Big Bang, and Darwin's Evolution theory. - You cannot deny evolution..its something people have studied for years.

My nan is religious, but argued by telling me everything I already knew, which I find ridiculously unrealistic.

The Bible, it makes me laugh..

You mean theories? Mainly Darwin's Evolution, molecular biology and all that, it's way more realistic. Plus, if your spokesperson is god for creationism..you don't stand much a chance as there is a chance he isnt real. (or a full chance IMO) Science explains a lot more than books and ancient scrolls.

my main problem..is the simple fact that the religion states he made EVERYTHING is one week..and even on the 7th day, I think he rested..

My Friends and Family. And surprisingly, school.

EDIT: Sorry if this offends anyone, I'm just stating my beliefs as an aethiest..

Deathshead (ie skull). It was also the name of the 3rd SS Panzer Division (not to worry, I'm not a nazi-lover or anything). Bit of a miltary history buff, especially 20th Century. I'd figured when selecting a username it'd likely have the virtue of being unpicked. I hate wading through the "select a username" process.

Here's a follow-up question for you: What do you think is religion's aim, besides to get people to believe in (a) god(s) and follow their religious commandments and prohibitions?
Do not confuse 'religion' with 'theism'. Not every religion has a deity, a supernatural being whom they worship, not every religion has a missionary function, not every religion is oppressive and binding.

Religion may want to explain the inexplicable, or may be used to deal with certain everyday occurrences, like death, in such a way that it gives people comfort. It wants to give meaning to a life, or to a deed. I think those are the aims of most religions, though there are bound to be a few that have other goals.

Here's a follow-up question for you: What do you think is religion's aim, besides to get people to believe in (a) god(s) and follow their religious commandments and prohibitions?

At first, I suppose it was just one person's answers to things he/she did not understand. Later, it became far more popular and self-righteous/arrogant people began to use it to control people.

As of modern days, it seems to be a mixture of both, except that it is not very much so used for control anymore.

Now, it seems that leftover things from ages of control, pre-modern philosophy, and troubling questions are simply making a big, unneccessary mess of things. Religion doesn't really have an aim, in my opinion, religion seems to me to be a person's or a group's prerogative.

Depends on the religion, I'd say that that is pretty much the goals of the major Abrahamic religions, but not so much of some of the Asian ones. But only some. Some sects of Buddhism, Hindu, ect... are just as controlling as many sects of Christianity are. Self-perpetuation, money, power, control.

I do agree that, at it's base, it's an attempt to help people live well and answer some big questions.

It could be so many things. I'm not sure just how to answer that.

Not every religion is theistic, necessarily. Nor is religion the same as spiritual.

At its basis similarly to Web Rider in the post above, I do believe it to attempt to be a positive social construct. Initially. I would say, it is not necessarily the belief, so much as the people in it that cast its image. IE are bad or good. Don't knock something just b/c there are people who make it look bad.

Strengthening character. Making them ultimately better people. That's what I hope such things would ultimately achieve. Not some compromise where it is more concerned with edicts, or agendas of exerting some kind of control over people.

A Coping mechanism (or as some call it a crutch for the weak) is how it could be seen? Maybe. However, where people are of an addictive personality or highly dependent...well when you consider the grim alternatives likely to happen to these sorts of people in reality, ask yourself "Is it such a bad thing?" I'd say if there is more success than failure in re-routing addictions to something positive, let it be. I really wonder if those who mock the weak and tempted could come up with a better (more overall positive) solution than this. Letting them scrape and stew and burn seems to be most mocking people's attitude. To a degree depending on what the situation is, I might agree. However generally, I'd say allowing their indulgence to displace and kill them is not a good thing.

So I guess helping people attain inner peace and order in their lives in some measure. That's an aim.

Also as I mentioned social construct. It is a sort of glue or pillar for community. The common values despite our differing background. What pulls us together. Symbolizing it is not necessarily arrogant, though the conviction of character in so doing may be seen as such--in which case it is challenged.

Social construct may be something as simple as a group of friends getting together. They have it in common, but do not need to practice values each necessarily the same way. Just some point of juncture and meeting. Old folks probably do it b/c let's face it, elderly are not as attractive as they once might have been and younger people seem to disconnect.

EDIT: Provision of a coherent focal point as a centrality of lives. Which is why it seems, regardless of numbers, they can unite so well. Something to relate to, to grasp. Something in common.

This may appear obvious, but the avowed aim of Christianity (at least) is to save your soul and to live with God. Following commandments and even believing in God are only means to achieve this end; they're not ends in themselves.

Questions like this are strange. I mean, what is supposed to be a religion's aim besides what the religious believe it is? And if you wish to imagine an evil cabal conspiring to create a religion for social control or what have you, there needs to be some reasonable bit of evidence for such a conspiracy before it becomes the slightest bit plausible. Dan Brown novels really don't count.

I'm not saying that religion does not enact a form of social control. But I don't think this is an aim, only a consequence. And even if it was an aim for certain members of the clergy (and it may be, who knows), it still wouldn't follow that social control is an aim of the religion in question.

I suppose it was early man's attempt to explain things they did not understand, and grew into a way to control the masses, and for the most part, religion fails at both nowadays.

You may be a bit premature, here. Religion still has a massive influence on people worldwide. Probably more so than secular thinking.

Aside from my parent's early attempts to raise me christian when I was very young (they were never believers, they were pressured by their parents), I have been raised in an agnostic family. When I was a kid and throughout my teenage years, I didn't think much about religion, gods, spirits or any of that sort of stuff.

It wasn't until college, or sometime soon after that my opinions about theology really changed. Whereas before I was indifferent, these days I find that I'm fairly intolerant. I'm not proud of my prejudices, but I just can't help it. I'm an atheist.

I try to avoid discussing religion with my family. While none of my immediate relatives are spiritual in any way, they come from catholic families (all four of my grandparents were devote catholics), and I would never want to say something stupid or offensive.

We don't really talk about religion. When they do talk about it, it's usually a joke or comment on something in the news or something.

I've had one or two friends that turned out to be very religious. Things didn't work out that well.

Antiquated, irrational, illogical, repressive, demeaning, unjust, chauvinist (often) beliefs. Religions thrive on replacing education which has historically led to exploiting innocent people. Only good religion I've ever seen is Buddhism. And it isn't exactly perfect, but it does lack a lot of the garbage nonsensical trash that the unwashed here at home so willingly believe in. It's disgusting.

Yeah, constantly. Best example: I worked with this guy a couple years ago from Virginia. One of those evangelical weirdos. Someone at work must have told him about me because he seemed to make it his mission in life to convert me. After I told him one too many times to leave his god's number so I could get some more information he gave me a sock in the face. He got fired, never saw him again. Convert or die, it's a southern thing I guess.

As a gamer, I've got better things to read about. :p

Don't know any?

Principle of non-violence. People always say that humans are violent by nature as a justification for blowing each others' heads off and worshipping their warrior-class as heroes, then they say sex and women are evil because it's in their godbook. If we as a species (or even just some of us) spent half as much time, money and effort trying be more constructive instead of destructive, religion/lack of education wouldn't be an issue, and no one would think that starting a war (also known as 'kill humans living in [insert location here]) for any reason is not a good idea.

Well, as I pretty much alluded to above, war, under any condition. It is a purely destructive act. And by extension of that, anyone with enough literacy or competency to say "violence is in human nature" is following a pretty hokey philosophy unless they honestly believe that humanity does not attempt in any way to perfect themselves. Of course, if that were true we'd all still be living in caves, hehe.

Highest value? At one point I was over 9000. :thmbup1:

I settled on agnostic-atheist at around 1999. But I've always questioned religious doctrine and beliefs. I just never had a need to choose one side of the debate or the other until 1999.

No. Not afraid. Cautious and concerned about how they might deal with it, but not afraid. There are still some family members who don't know about my atheism primarily because the subject has never come up (they probably suspect, however). But I don't push it because I'm sensitive to their beliefs and, perhaps, their need to believe. If they ask or inquire, however, I won't hesitate to tell them about my position(s).

Some would not be surprised. Some would be dissapointed.

Its important to note that not all atheists, agnostics, or agnostic-atheists have "beefs" with religion (most don't, actually). Since I do, I'll answer with a couple: 1) religionists (not all) seek to impose their particular brand of religion on others via legislation, policy, and education; 2) extremists in religions are tolerated by some of the more moderate members since they're of the same religion rather than criticized and questioned for their behaviors and actions; 3) Religionists make positive claims in public then take offense when those claims are questioned, criticized, or ridiculed. I could go on, but this gives you the gist.

Many have tried over the years, even before 1999. They all seemed hokey at worst and superficially comitted to their beliefs at best. Public displays of piety are particularly interesting to me since its obvious that an inquantifiable amount must be superficial and put-on -a front, if you will.

Dan Barker's Godless. A great read. Even if you're a religious person, I think you'll find his story fascinating, interesting, and -at times- funny.

They each have a unique and interesting position. I'm a fan of Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, and Dennett among many others, but, with the sole exception of Harris, I've read other works these authors have written that aren't on the topic of atheism. Contrary to position that some atheists and agnostics take, I happen to think that very little of what these authors have written is off-the mark. Indeed, I've actually debated with atheists on the subject of whether the works of Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris have merit and I've yet to see the compelling argument that invalidates their works. Theists have remarked that Dawkins' work is "shrill" and angry, yet when pressed for a quote that shows this, you get none that are when the context of the words are examined.

The thing about these authors that I like is that they generate buzz, get people talking, and perpetuate discourse. This all in addition to taking religionists to task for their irrational claims and doctrines. The net result is a consciousness-raising.

Utilitarianism.

Anything written by Berkeley.

My DNA -> specifically, my daughter.

I haven't really told my family, but I was never too hip on the whole "god" thing. I think I knew that I was atheist/agnostic when I realized that the ones going out of their way on a hot May afternoon to accost a random stranger at a bus stop about the bible are the ones who seriously need "saving", not the "sinners" in question.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I never really believed in religion in the first place, but I always just went along with it because It didn't seem too much of a big deal to me whether i cared or not, but as I got older, it became more important to me.

Not at all. A couple of my friends consider themselves atheist/non-religious, and the others who are religious don't have any problems with my judgement. All of the people I know are pretty tolerant of all mindsets.

Some would ask why, but others would just be cool and accept it. I don't think anyone's ever reacted badly to me telling them.

1. The problems it causes. From the dawn of time, it seems that half of the problems that have happened in the world have either happened due to want for land, or religion. It seems to me that historically, people who classify themselves as true believers are very hypocritical. People have fought, killed, and done all sorts of other nasty things in the name of their god/gods who they say tells them to be "kind" and "do not kill".

2. People who try to put religion in government/public life. The biggest problem i have with religion is when people try to put their religious beliefs on to other people. Can't people just keep it in their own homes and societies. For example, same-sex marriage. People who don't want other people to marry because of what their god tells them, never mind what the other people think, just makes me mad. You can believe what you want to believe, and let other people believe what they want to believe. Just keep it to yourself.

Very, Very Hokey.

6. As an atheist or agnostic, what book is your favorite on the subject? and 7. Which agnostic/atheist authors do you respect? Which don't you respect?

I think that organized non-religion is almost as strange as organized religion. Why does it have to be any sort of label to put on someone. You can just not believe.

Peace. Dog loving. Free hamburgers for all.

Atheists going out and trying to promote atheism. Its like promoting a religion, except without the god. It's kind of annoying. Everybody just leave each other's spiritual life alone.

My friends, my family, and my dogs.

Archived