Home

Lisbon treaty - ratified?

jonathan7

Aw man... Yeah, we're in debt up to our eyeballs and as wide as a sea. USA is not exactly in a position to negotiate.

I always got uneasy when talk of international relations (even nafta) were brought up in economics or civics classes. How so many embraced the ideology of an international government the world over though it was left unsaid. Like sovreignty was taboo and evil or just plain outdated.

We sit here and watch it all unfold.

Like the treaty for the most part, don't like the fact that it wasn't implemented through more direct democracy, instead of the indirect way of having goverments make the decision. Now, lets hope they make the European parliament more powerfull and acountable to voters to partially make up for it.

As that's what the EU is!

In adition to being a shared market that has benefitted every country economicall, a way of making eastern Europe more respecting of human rights as well as fantastic economic growth in said places, doing more for poverty reduction than just about any other organisation/country. Sure it commes with bureacrasy, but in my oppinion, that's a price worth paying.

Seems like the inexorable march toward one world govt, done in stages.

I'd call the EU as much of a step towards a world goverment as I'd call my fart a step towards global warming.

I always got uneasy when talk of international relations (even nafta) were brought up in economics or civics classes. How so many embraced the ideology of an international government the world over though it was left unsaid. Like sovreignty was taboo and evil or just plain outdated.

Help me here, are you saying supporters of NAFTA=supporters of a world government.

You're not helping too much :p

When you talk about "those in charge", who do you mean? (and I asume they are not=those who support NAFTA as that'd be an awfull lot of rulers). In adition, how is NAFTA suposed to bring about a world goverment? It's a small free-trade deal for crissakes.

I'd call the EU as much of a step towards a world goverment as I'd call my fart a step towards global warming.

Shh..Don't give the climate crazies ideas. :xp:

I'd say that barring a major global catastrophe, the imposition of a global govt will be done in stages. How successful it will ultimately be or how long it will take is another matter altogether. Seems they will have to continue to dumb down populations, engineer crises and make false promises of security till they make people maleable enough to reach that goal. Who the "they" are is the ruling elites (well heeled mega-rich and high placed politicians and rulers). Even in America you have people in govt that view the US Constitution as a "living document" and seek answers to legal questions not based on our own legal traditions but also foreign ones (iirc Ginsberg and Breyer have expressed that viewpoint). Even the founding fathers of the US knew that keeping a republic would be a challenge. We are increasingly living in a system where more and more people are becoming dependent on the govt for their sense of well being. That comes with a price. He with the gold makes the rules. So we're clear, though, I ain't Nostradmaus and am not making any predictions as to when the crap hits the fan. Just noticing disturbing trends.

This upsets me!

I love the fact, we've never had a referendum on it - thanks Gordon, what a great democracy we live in, wait is that bureaucracy? As that's what the EU is!

Hoping the Czechs would stall till after our election was a long-shot anyway. But still, it is upsetting.

I too would really like a referendum on Europe - unfortunately, I think that the General Election will take its place (and act as a referendum on a good few other things too).

Furthermore, I don't agree with the plans of installing Tony Blair as president of Europe, although it might be good to have a Briton in place to make sure we don't get the short shrift, there surely must be someone better than him.

I'm not European so this is new to me. Sure, I knew there was a sort of European Union, but I haven't heard of the Lisbon Treaty until now. But if we're basically talking about what would happen if Europe had one government... I don't think that any country on Earth has leaders trustworthy enough to justly manage such a system. It's too easy for something to go wrong. Too easy for a corrupt politician to break everything worse than things can already be broken.

Eh, looking over the EU's website this makes a partial bit of sense to make the EU more responsible as a governing body... so I'm wondering what it really means. I'll get a copy of the text and read over it tonight and offer my opinion then. However, it does seem to be a step towards World Government.

Or, at least, a step towards Mega-Countries

"We are at war with Eurasia, we have always been at war with Eurasia" :xp:

I don't think that any country on Earth has leaders trustworthy enough to justly manage such a system.

Then clearly you're not a proponent of the US, considering my state, New Mexico, Arizona, California, parts of Oregon, Nevada, and even some of Utah were once Mexico. As well Louisianna and Arkansas were French territory.

Even Canada is a confusing mix of previous owners.

Not that I'm saying Europe will be all sunshine and lollipops, but clearly better thinking would be required before speaking out against a unified government of states. Because really, that's all the European countries are, infact for a long time countries were referred to as "The State".

Wait, why is Tony Blair not in retirement?

Because he's impossible to kill. He just keeps on coming back, like a cockroach.

Not that he's not an incredibly important man; can you imagine what would happen if he stopped trying to keep the peace in the Middle East? Oh.

Not that I'm saying Europe will be all sunshine and lollipops, but clearly better thinking would be required before speaking out against a unified government of states. Because really, that's all the European countries are, infact for a long time countries were referred to as "The State".

European nations may have a unified cultural base but the variation from that foundation is immense; I'm not entirely sure how a unified "European Nation" would work in anything other than theory. You only have to look at the trouble with which people from Glasgow understand people from Dorset in Britain to see how much worse this could get on a larger scale.

Edit: That said, I am actually pro-Europe >_<

What is it with this government and being anti-democratic? I suppose when you can more or less expect to lose the practice is to avoid the people at all costs. First the appointment without popular vote of a new 'leader', then more than once refusing to put a controversial treaty to the vote.

Rather annoying that parts of my law course may be out of date not long after I graduate. And I really dislike the idea of doing away with unanimity for some issues. It may 'streamline' the EU's business, but it gives Sovereignty another heavy blow.

I'm a dumb American, so could someone explain to me why it seems that everyone here has a strong dislike of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown? I've heard of leaders making bad decisions and being corrupt pretty much everywhere, but what's the history behind Europe getting like this where everyone hates their governments?

Like the treaty for the most part, don't like the fact that it wasn't implemented through more direct democracy, instead of the indirect way of having goverments make the decision. Now, lets hope they make the European parliament more powerfull and acountable to voters to partially make up for it.

In adition to being a shared market that has benefitted every country economicall, a way of making eastern Europe more respecting of human rights as well as fantastic economic growth in said places, doing more for poverty reduction than just about any other organisation/country. Sure it commes with bureacrasy, but in my oppinion, that's a price worth paying.

Help me here, are you saying supporters of NAFTA=supporters of a world government.

I agree.

I'm a dumb American, so could someone explain to me why it seems that everyone here has a strong dislike of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown? I've heard of leaders making bad decisions and being corrupt pretty much everywhere, but what's the history behind Europe getting like this where everyone hates their governments?

Much of the dislike stems from the Labour Party's unequivocal promise of a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, and that promise was largely responsible for them getting a third term in Government.

Many people voted Labour simply because of the promise of a referendum, but it never materialised. The Tony Blair left, handing the reins to Gordon Brown, who then went ahead and signed the treaty a few months after becoming PM.

Of course, there are many more reasons to dislike the both of them, but that's one of them in regards to the Lisbon Treaty and the inevitable 'United States of Europe'.

Tot: sorry but the whole conspiracy thing seems a wee bit outside the scope of this thread, so if you want that discussion you might want to start a new one.

Arc: The EU, even with Lisbon, is nowhere close to being a state, it's mainly a trade/monetary union focusing on the fredom to move capitall, goods and people freely within it. Only a microscopic amount of money is channeled through the EU for projects, and the different branches have very little direct controll over governments.

Originally posted by FN

Eh, looking over the EU's website this makes a partial bit of sense to make the EU more responsible as a governing body... so I'm wondering what it really means. I'll get a copy of the text and read over it tonight and offer my opinion then. However, it does seem to be a step towards World Government.

This is a joke, correct? Lisbon is the kind of treaty that nobody but technocrats are expected to read as it's, designed to be hard to understand.

As for the world goverment bit, it's much less of a step towards a "world government" than when the US came into existence.

As for Tony Blair, I support him for the job simply because the job has so little power (thing UN secretary general light), that the heavier the politican, the better if the job is to be something more than a retirement home for politicans.

Tot: sorry but the whole conspiracy thing seems a wee bit outside the scope of this thread' date=' so if you want that discussion you might want to start a new one.[/quote']

Last I checked, a conspiracy is usually undercover and illegal. If the people that make the rules change the rules using legal means (if barely), it's not really a conspiracy, nor illegal. The Lisbon Treaty is just one more blow to national sovereignty. It's debatable whether it will prove worth such a sacrifice.

Also, the problem w/treaties (or any legislation) being too "arcane to understand" usually results in the politicians getting away with squirrelly acts b/c nobody takes a close look at what they are doing for fear they are too stupid or will be bored to death w/the verbosity of the language.

Archived