Home

Even NASA says the world ain't ending in 2012

Lord of Hunger

The biggest problem with the 2012 doomsday hype, that stirs up controversy amongest us, is the fact the words: "The World is gonna end" can cause an uproar with people and that is what starts the arguments. That's a qoute or a thought that we need get away from, I don't see this planet blowing up, spliting apart, or a collision with another planet now are in the near future.

[HK-47] Simplification: Meatbags with their boring, meaningless lives become hyper excited over ridiculous broad notions of apocalyptic catastrophe and chaos being imminent despite a lack of any remotely conclusive evidence.

Self Evident Question: What reasons do meatbags have to justify such wasteful hysteria?

Answer: For the reasons of

1) justifying their pointless existence

2) to satisfy their boredom because they have nothing better to do

3) because they desperately need a blaster bolt to the head

Such temptation. PLease master, can't I pick of just a few of the more useless meatbasgs? It's been so long since I've killed something. [/HK-47]

<snip>Now the real big question should be, will we be here in the near future and beyond that or will we go the way of the dinosaur. The earth has always had catastrophic changes in the past, even at time's when humans lived here, but humans pulled through those globel disasters somehow - someway.

Nuclear fallout. Most likely to happen. That or a power vacuum politically and economically. Nature abhors a vacuum. Lots of wars over many things, but ultimately it all comes down to:

R E S O U R C E S.

Just some rhetorical speculation on my part.

Or natural disaster, climate change, a major loss of technology we rely upon.

Wait, didn't we say that the world was going to end ten years ago? :raise:

Yeah. It was called Y2K...or as I like to call it (If you'll please pardon my language, good sir): Y2bull****.

Lets see 1994 the world was supposed to end...

2012? Yeah I think I will put more stock in the world already having ended and we're running in a simulation with only around 2500 actual people still alive. The rest being computer generated approximations. Haven't you ever noticed how often you run into the SAME people?

I mean nobody ever gets it... The world ended in approximately the year 3220(depending on the calendar used) and we few are the only remaining humans. Our conciousness was transferred to a ship which was launched over 50 years ago. When the computer runs out of conciousnesses, it replicates a new one... Parents haven't you noticed how your kids do the SAME THINGS you did as a child? Kids don't you see how your parents ALWAYS know what you did? We're the last humans... AAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Yeah... somehow that seems more plausable to me than the world ending in 2012.

mean nobody ever gets it... The world ended in approximately the year 3220(depending on the calendar used) and we few are the only remaining humans. Our conciousness was transferred to a ship which was launched over 50 years ago. When the computer runs out of conciousnesses, it replicates a new one... Parents haven't you noticed how your kids do the SAME THINGS you did as a child? Kids don't you see how your parents ALWAYS know what you did? We're the last humans... AAAAAAAAHHHHHH

You mean we're not just hooked into the Matrix?

As for those who think the World is going to End in 2012, I quite frankly, think they're idiots. People have always attached significance to dates like that for some reason, in the year 1000 they thought the world was going to end for crying out loud!

My explanation for it was this.

*Thousands of years ago*

"hey, gurg, lets make a calendar."

Gurg: "Ok."

*five days later*

gurg: "Hey, taalet."

Taalet: "Yeah?"

Gurg:" We've goen several thousand years in the future, wanna stop now?"

Taalet: "Yeah, sure."

*some names were changed to protect the identities of the owner.*

Seriously, that is also a logical explanation.

[HK-47] Simplification: Meatbags with their boring, meaningless lives become hyper excited over ridiculous broad notions of apocalyptic catastrophe and chaos being imminent despite a lack of any remotely conclusive evidence.

Self Evident Question: What reasons do meatbags have to justify such wasteful hysteria?

Answer: For the reasons of

1) justifying their pointless existence

2) to satisfy their boredom because they have nothing better to do

3) because they desperately need a blaster bolt to the head

Such temptation. PLease master, can't I pick of just a few of the more useless meatbasgs? It's been so long since I've killed something. [/HK-47]

:lol: I thought it was just because they were looking for there 15 seconds of fame, or to get some attention from everybody; while making a little money off of it in the process. But the reasons you stated above GTA, ;) or should I say HK-47, would probably be a good bet too.

One thing is for sure, the 2012 "Oh No!The world's gonna end!" bogus lie, is really getting out of hand. I get really tired of explaning to, mostly, the younger generations the reality behind it; like in my posts above. I mean...it's become a friggin epidemic, worrying the crap out of them. And now, from what I'm hearing, some individuals or groups are looking for large deep underground shelters to hide in when it supposely does happen. SAD, really SAD, what in the hell is this world coming to.............Oh right, the end - I keep forgetting that. :raise:

Nuclear fallout. Most likely to happen. That or a power vacuum politically and economically. Nature abhors a vacuum. Lots of wars over many things, but ultimately it all comes down to:

R E S O U R C E S.

Just some rhetorical speculation on my part.

Or natural disaster, climate change, a major loss of technology we rely upon.

Agreed, any of this, especially R E S O U R C E S; and probably a long, long, long ways off sometime down the road of the future. Our living on this planet can't last forever, that's obvious. But hopefully by then, when that does happen, we've done explored and colonize the unknown regions of the universe or at least our galaxy. ;)

FYI theoretical astrophysicists place two events most likely to result in armaggeddon. Medium body stellar impact, a meteor or comet, meteor is mostly likely, one approx 100km diameter with a high iron content would do it and we'd never know about it. Just last week one passed within 7000km of the Earth and nobody saw it coming. That's well inside the communications satellites orbit for example, it was like "Oh check that out, we nearly got blown to bits, wow that was lucky."

Scenario two, gamma ray burst in our local galactic region. Very unlikely except for the numbers game, they flash all over the galaxy and would literally strip the atmosphere off our world instantly if one faced our direction, if you took a 24hr segment and calculated the odds they're pretty astronomical but take a 4.5b yr timeframe and we're unbelievably lucky one hasn't hit us so far. In terms of probability we're due for one, but thing is it's a one time event that would turn Earth into Mars in one hit.

Both extinction events whether astronomical or geophysical and planetary irradiation events are quite commonplace even in our local galactic region and beyond this, our own planet's history, so they're a real possibility any moment, every moment.

But you don't live your life worrying about them unless you see one coming. A near miss means getting missed by a few million years, it would take the perfect numbers to come up in a very complex equation to actually get hit by anything during the entire span of our species existence.

Only complex evolutionary diversity is saving us, it's not any kind of shield, but it does mean all chance is in our favour.

It should be most comforting to know that like I said...every generation thinks that it's the last...from the beginning of time. There have been dates and numbers thrown around by apocalyptic predictions forever...

Whether or not you believe in any of the religions that "say" that the end of the world will happen should have no bearing on how worried you are.

Just an off-note:

If you're Christian (I am), I think it's important to point out the context of the book of Revelations (The apocalyptic book). Just remember what time it was written in and who wrote it. A Christian under Nero in Rome who hated Christians and hunted them. I personally believe that Revelations is just a book of metaphors and to give hope to other Christians and that time. That's why it's still such a controversial book in the Bible today.

Ever read Daniel? It corroborates the Revelation.

Interstingly, not until the council of Nicaea was the Bible thought to be completely infallible. Before then it was thought of as individual writings of people who tried their best to put in writing what a superior and alien being had told them.

Even after the council of Nicaea, prominent Christian thinkers still debated whether the Bible was infallible. In Confessions, Augustine recalls that he had been taught that the Bible had been tampered with Jewish law being inserted into it. Now, no modern Christian would ever take the word of Augustine over what a Bible writer, such as Paul, had written. But, what makes them different? Both wrote their opinions on Christianity and neither ever had first-hand knowledge of Jesus. Why do we Christians treat Paul's word as law, but not Augustine or Ambrose. I think that the only completely infallible part of the Bible is the word of Jesus. He explicitly states never to turn anyone away from Him, yet one book after the Gospel (Acts) Paul excludes groups he doesn't like, such as homosexuals. I feel that most religious conflict has been caused by needless zealotry and bigotry by attributing people's actions to divine word. Some Christians say all homosexuals are evil, because it says to kill them in the Old Testament. Yet, Jesus says never to turn anyone away from Him. Jesus himself admitted he would be changing long-held Jewish beliefs, which is why many prominent Jews in that time hated Him so much. Simply, you cannot pick and choose parts of the Bible to justify your actions. We exist to serve God, not the other way around.

Wow :eek:, I got off topic. :)

:lol: I thought it was just because they were looking for there 15 seconds of fame, or to get some attention from everybody; while making a little money off of it in the process. But the reasons you stated above GTA, ;) or should I say HK-47, would probably be a good bet too.

[HK-47]: Clarification: Oh why I was just stating the primary likelihoods of meatbags to go on such a useless a tirade when more constructive things could be done. Like sharpening your combat reflexes and making sure your target doesn't get back up again.

Now, let's go out and find something to kill. My treat.[/HK-47]

One thing is for sure, the 2012 "Oh No!The world's gonna end!" bogus lie, is really getting out of hand. I get really tired of explaning to, mostly, the younger generations the reality behind it; like in my posts above. I mean...it's become a friggin epidemic, worrying the crap out of them. And now, from what I'm hearing, some individuals or groups are looking for large deep underground shelters to hide in when it supposely does happen. SAD, really SAD, what in the hell is this world coming to.............Oh right, the end - I keep forgetting that. :raise:

Well, I suppose we could start by finding the fear-mongering sensationalists. For example Alex Jones. Find then and go BYW (Back Yard Wrestling) status on them. These people seem to want to make a buck or two and are the source of the hysteria.

Agreed, any of this, especially R E S O U R C E S; and probably a long, long, long ways off sometime down the road of the future. Our living on this planet can't last forever, that's obvious. But hopefully by then, when that does happen, we've done explored and colonize the unknown regions of the universe or at least our galaxy. ;)

Well, I mean look at the wars: if it is not vying for power, it's about resources at its heart. Oh sure, religion this and that is responsible for the wars and blah-blah-blah. There are few nations in holy war in the world. Even religious ideology as a reason for a war can't be *entirely* dissociated from vying for power. Sure it could stand upon its own. So could a fight for freedom. But think further and you will find it is all about power.

If it sounds like I have practiced and said this many times before it is because I have thought upon this many times. While I'm sure someone can come up with another reason--I don't really see how it couldn't ultimately be traced to power and resources. Else it is just......beyond stupidity. Wouldn't you agree?

So far as end of world catastrophes...war is not the do-all to end-all that would wipe life off the face of the planet. Unless someone figures out Tesla's secrets and mangaes to turn our entire atmosphere into plasma and fry everything. Which I highly doubt because all of our brightest and best scientists since have not been able to 100% replicate his work. Barely 50% (if that) in my estimation.

FYI theoretical astrophysicists place two events most likely to result in armaggeddon. Medium body stellar impact, a meteor or comet, meteor is mostly likely, one approx 100km diameter with a high iron content would do it and we'd never know about it. Just last week one passed within 7000km of the Earth and nobody saw it coming. That's well inside the communications satellites orbit for example, it was like "Oh check that out, we nearly got blown to bits, wow that was lucky."

You know, I actually laugh at how often that could be the case and how close it is to happening all the time.

As you said in you latter paragraph: unless you know for certain, one does not spend their life worrying about such things. If we knew for certain, we're not exactly in a position to do anything about it, are we? We'd all probably just say goodbye to each other while we stand on the cliffside and watch our end in the sky. Praying there's more to this existence, like an afterlife. Some, however, are not as faithful to that, perhaps out of fear.

And now, from what I'm hearing, some individuals or groups are looking for large deep underground shelters to hide in when it supposely does happen.

They do realize it's called the end of the WORLD, and that will include the end of their little shelter with it, so there's no escape, right?

Personally, I don't believe it, but I look forward to the day when they come out of their shelter, 30 years later, to find the world intact, and hearing them yell

"FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

to the heavens.

Well, I mean look at the wars: if it is not vying for power, it's about resources at its heart. Oh sure, religion this and that is responsible for the wars and blah-blah-blah. There are few nations in holy war in the world. Even religious ideology as a reason for a war can't be *entirely* dissociated from vying for power. Sure it could stand upon its own. So could a fight for freedom. But think further and you will find it is all about power.

If it sounds like I have practiced and said this many times before it is because I have thought upon this many times. While I'm sure someone can come up with another reason--I don't really see how it couldn't ultimately be traced to power and resources. Else it is just......beyond stupidity. Wouldn't you agree?

So far as end of world catastrophes...war is not the do-all to end-all that would wipe life off the face of the planet. Unless someone figures out Tesla's secrets and mangaes to turn our entire atmosphere into plasma and fry everything. Which I highly doubt because all of our brightest and best scientists since have not been able to 100% replicate his work. Barely 50% (if that) in my estimation.

It's the most likely scenario, without resources - civilization is pretty much screwed.

Originally Posted by Tobias Reaper

They do realize it's called the end of the WORLD, and that will include the end of their little shelter with it, so there's no escape, right?

Personally, I don't believe it, but I look forward to the day when they come out of their shelter, 30 years later, to find the world intact, and hearing them yell

to the heavens.

I guess they figure it won't be the end of the planet itself, but just some major upheavels or something across the globe. Some of it has got to do with those damn 2012 doomsday books people keep reading. Some of the books are suppose tell you how to survive it and how to continue on living, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if some new suicide cults develop from this 2012 doom hype.

• 7 months later...

to the heavens.

Doesn't everyone? :lol:

Umm, well, I'll try.

[HK-47] Observation: My some time has elapsed since this the last post in this thread.

It would appear since then that the meatbags worldwide are engaging in some kind of agitation metaphorically referred to as "sabre rattling".

Presumption: This action would be to either score political points, or to distract as a cover for something else going on.

Frustration: An assassin droid does so get bored and depressed waiting for a violent bloody war that seems to forever postpone itself to some undefined later date.

Suggestion: perhaps we should go out and start our own mayhem in some volatile part of the world to ignite the war? At least then we could stop talking about the end of the world.

Now, let's kill something. My treat. Teh-Hehh. [/HK-47]

Listen.

Certain "forces" were going to "spin" the "poles" of the earth. not the North/South pole. Anyways, if this was going to happen it would have cracked the crust at the equator and totally ****ed the planet.

But this isnt happening. Certain "other" forces have decided to step in and stop it, but, we have roughly 200 years until the sun explodes, due to certain "forces" forcefully shutting the suns inner-most chakra.

Check this out for more details:

Listen.

Certain "forces" were going to "spin" the "poles" of the earth. not the North/South pole. Anyways, if this was going to happen it would have cracked the crust at the equator and totally ****ed the planet.

But this isnt happening. Certain "other" forces have decided to step in and stop it, but, we have roughly 200 years until the sun explodes, due to certain "forces" forcefully shutting the suns inner-most chakra.

I just talked to the sun god Surya, and he says he has no idea what you're talking about. He also asked me to impale you on a long pole and offer you as a sacrifice, along with two bottles of soma, but I said I'll pass.

Archived