Home

George Lucas plans Star Wars in 3D

Prime

I try and look at like this-

It's more Star Wars... :dozey:

No it's not. More Star Wars would be if they released something brand new, not re-releasing something with something more added.

COMING SOON, STAR WARS WHERE ALL THE BLASTERS HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH WALKIE-TALKIES AND EVERY CAST MEMBERS HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH EWOKS. THIS IS THE BEST VERSION YET!!

lulz.

But yeah, I don't care what Lucas does to it just as long as we have all of the different versions available on the same release and don't have to buy extra crap just to get everything and so that people can freely ignore a particular version they don't care about by their own will.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, I'm struggling here. How does making these films 3D all of a sudden make them terrible? So racing down the DS trench just wrecks the moment for everyone? Seriously?

Or are people just mad that Lucas isn't immediately heeding their demands to release movies they downright loath on Blu-ray?

This.

I swear if Jar-Jar's tongue comes flying out at me in 3D, I'm going to hire the Mossad to rip something out of Lucas, and it can be their choice which part.

Somebody beat you to it. Looks like they had him lobotomized around the time that Return of the Jedi was being filmed.

I'd be fine if they made it in 3D, as long as they don't over do it like many previous 3D movies have by constantly throwing things out there. I would enjoy the battles in 3D, but that's pretty much it, although some stuff that's not related to battle I may enjoy, like the pod-racing and JAR JAR's TOUNGE!!!! He's so awesome. Hopefully Lucas has the brains to make the amount of 3D equal so it doesn't make me sick when I watch it

It's just many 3D movies have been disappointing because of the overdone 3D effects. I know Lucas is a professional but he's never really done anything 3D. Hopefully he can pull off a good 3D setup

No offense, I'll just imagine you as a 13 year old or something...

Kudos to your possitive vibe towars Mr. Lucas abilities to deliver a good movie....

But I've lost all hope. :indif:

I'm 29 and I have much faith in Mr. Lucas. If he does 3D, he will do it right.

After all, even though lots of people complain about the prequels (I'm not one of them - I like the prequels), even the haters have to admit that he got the technology right. I'd argue that TPM looks better than some movies do today, over 10 years later.

No, he did not get it right. He used way too much of it and it looks fake as hell. The actors had no frame of reference because they were acting in front of a greenscreen all of the time, and it shows. The animation is shimmery, clean and pristine instead of dirty and lived-in and it looks unrealistic. The result is little more than a cartoon. There is still no substitute for real sets.

I'm 29 and I have much faith in Mr. Lucas. If he does 3D, he will do it right.

After all, even though lots of people complain about the prequels (I'm not one of them - I like the prequels), even the haters have to admit that he got the technology right. I'd argue that TPM looks better than some movies do today, over 10 years later.

No, he did not get it right. He used way too much of it and it looks fake as hell. The actors had no frame of reference because they were acting in front of a greenscreen all of the time, and it shows. The animation is shimmery, clean and pristine instead of dirty and lived-in and it looks unrealistic. The result is little more than a cartoon. There is still no substitute for real sets.

Pfft, I've seen Cartoons at better quality. But yeah, watch the behind the scenes footage. This shows pretty well when some of the actors are describing their acting experience, and you see scenes of them, literally, in a giant green room.

At least with Avatar Cameron gave them a helmet that they wore that put their sight into a 3D world instead of just an empty green set... and it shows.

And no... he didn't get the technology right. Speilberg was doing the technology better years before in the first Jurassic Park. What LucasArts did was incredibly poor, considering that even at the time Industrial Light and Magic was capable of much better work.

The Prequels, even if you liked them, are clean cut examples given by reviewers and professionals alike on how to not to 3D.

At least with Avatar Cameron gave them a helmet that they wore that put their sight into a 3D world instead of just an empty green set... and it shows.

No, he didn't. The helmet the actors had was to record their facial expressions. As for Cameron, he had a camera that showed him a 3D world in real time. But what do you expect? Lucas didn't have this technology back then. And he still used green screen a lot.

As for the special effects of the prequels, never saw anyone saying they were bad. Actually, what I've read says the exact opposite.

And no... he didn't get the technology right. Speilberg was doing the technology better years before in the first Jurassic Park. What LucasArts did was incredibly poor, considering that even at the time Industrial Light and Magic was capable of much better work.

I guess all I can do is disagree. I'm with AlexRD - all I've read/heard is positive reviews about the way TPM used technology - with Jar Jar paving the way for characters like Gollum and Dobby.

However, I can't say I'm too surprised; as much as I love SW and it's fandom, we (collectively) are probably the biggest whiners of any fan-group I can think of. There's always something to criticize, complain about, and ridicule GL for.

as much as I love SW and it's fandom, we (collectively) are probably the biggest whiners of any fan-group I can think of. There's always something to criticize, complain about, and ridicule GL for.

its 50/50 TBH, there are very few inbetweeners when it comes to Star Wars Fans... Some people like myself have spoke of GL like he's the anti-Christ, other people get warm fuzzy feelings about everything he touches and will go down defending him.. But the way I like to see it is that we are all passionate about what we like about Star Wars... and the sheer size of the franchise allows such a difference between what one person loves to another, infighting ensues etc.

Pfft, I've seen Cartoons at better quality. But yeah, watch the behind the scenes footage. This shows pretty well when some of the actors are describing their acting experience, and you see scenes of them, literally, in a giant green room.
But most stage actors act in a fairly similar environment all the time. Many stage plays have limited or even no real sets, yet they are able to imagine and convey that to the audience. I agree with the actors that no doubt acting in such a way is harder, but it is by no means impossible. Perhaps if Lucas went with more classically trained stage actors instead of movie stars some people would be more impressed with the results.

The actors had no frame of reference because they were acting in front of a greenscreen all of the time, and it shows.

Gotta agree with Prime on this one--a good actor can work with a completely empty room, and having taken some theater classes and acting, you do learn how to work without any set or props. Liam Neeson and Christopher Lee certainly had no problem working with a green screen.

No, he didn't. The helmet the actors had was to record their facial expressions. As for Cameron, he had a camera that showed him a 3D world in real time.

Ah, misread then. Apologies.

However, I can't say I'm too surprised; as much as I love SW and it's fandom, we (collectively) are probably the biggest whiners of any fan-group I can think of. There's always something to criticize, complain about, and ridicule GL for.

As an idea man, he's not good without people to bounce ideas off of. His original ideas for star wars were pretty far out, and it was time constraints, limitations with budget, limitations of technology, etc that force him to reconsider and built the original 3 movies. The actors actively tried to build their own lines and scenes ("I love you" "I Know" was Harrison's line), and the best one (ESB) was not even directed by him.

He is a good foundation for Star Wars. However, when he is allowed to work in freedom you get the prequels. You can idol him, but he says outright at the end of TPM that he screwed up. There is a scene in which one of his editors is lecturing him on how he ****ed up, and George looking around in confusion voicing how in the world he was going to save the movie, while the rest of the audience in the room just looks... stunned by the movie they had no time and no money to fix.

He screwed up. He admitted it, and the reviews confirmed his fear. The problem was, nobody was brave enough to stand up to this man and tell him "This is a really ****ing stupid idea", like Harrison and others used to do.

He didn't learn his lesson, however, because he went on to make Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith and screwed up spectacularly with those two as well.

As campy Star Wars, I like the prequels and don't mind watching them. But, he admits he screwed up and I'll stand behind George on what he says.

But most stage actors act in a fairly similar environment all the time. Many stage plays have limited or even no real sets, yet they are able to imagine and convey that to the audience. I agree with the actors that no doubt acting in such a way is harder, but it is by no means impossible. Perhaps if Lucas went with more classically trained stage actors instead of movie stars some people would be more impressed with the results.

Gotta agree with Prime on this one--a good actor can work with a completely empty room, and having taken some theater classes and acting, you do learn how to work without any set or props. Liam Neeson and Christopher Lee certainly had no problem working with a green screen.

To the contrary, I'll use Liam Neeson and Lee to back myself up. Even though Christopher has done a lot of shlock in his time (Captain America), he kept his skills there and is one of the more redeeming qualities of his shlock movies.

However, I thought his acting in the prequels was, honestly, some of his poorer work. Same with Neeson. Liam may have saved much of TPM from being entirely poor, but he couldn't hold the entire movie and didn't have the opportunity to save the other two (not the mention his character didn't really need to exist, nor do what it did). He tried his best, but he still seemed pretty cardboard in his acting because half the time he was talking to nothing...

Which, as you already pointed out, a good actor can ignore...

With a good director. Which, again, brings this back to George: He can't direct very well. He had two classic actors and a number of others who I KNOW can do better (Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor, Jackson, etc) and most fell on their face and could probably consider the prequels some of their worst performances. Jackson in Revenge was awful. They were Natalie's, hands down, worst work.

I've seen them work magic in movies. Only one I know George had no chance of saving was Hayden because he's sucked in everything he has done.

I can't blame the actors because they are clay for the producers, writers, and director(s) to mold. If they weren't acting well (especially with his cast line up), then something was wrong. Maybe he needed to place actual actors next to them to work with them. Maybe he needed animatronics. Costumes. Formed sets painted green. More concept art, or maybe he simply needed to direct them better and/or give them better lines.

I think the problem was a bad director and script compounded upon the fact they were talking and interacting with nothing most of the time. There is this particular scene in Attack of the Clones with Obi-wan, Yoda, and Windu in which they are walking down a 3D corridor. There were only 2 actors in that scene, walking down a green screen trying to communicate with something that was not there and it makes for, I think, the worst scene in the prequels and should be used as a clear example on what to absolutely not do. The 3D was terrible, but more importantly it was unnecessary. He could have easily built them a stage to use and put something in place of Yoda to be edited out later (which is much easier than it sounds). Which is, well, how he made the originals which is why they, to this day, still look presentable and lived in.

Sean Astin in Lord of the Rings commented on fighting Shelob. He had nothing to fight but air, but commented that Peter help put this amazing image and terrifying scene into his mind. When they went back for reshoots, he had seen the rough cut and found he had a hard time acting again, so Peter had to place him back into his mindset. Seeing that I was wrong on the Avatar actors, I'll use them as an example of actors working quite well in a green/black environment with the direction of Cameron.

Fully 3D scenes was the worst thing George could have done to himself, because it ruins what fundamentally made him a good movie maker back in the day: Obstacles. Cameron and Jackson have the knack for directing someone with near nothing; George does not, and never has.

we (collectively) are probably the biggest whiners of any fan-group I can think of.

Star Trek.

As for the special effects of the prequels, never saw anyone saying they were bad. Actually, what I've read says the exact opposite.

Maybe not too bad visually, but presentation wise they went backwards. The new remastered originals being a good example of this. I'll have to agree with Plinkett that the addition of so much unneeded and poor special effects is insulting to the original movies innovative way of doing special effects. The old George used to say that Special Effects are merely a side tool to bring one closer to the experience, while the new George just wanted to shove as much on screen at once and let Industrial Light and Magic basically touch themselves. You see the same issues with the Transformers movies.

Actually, George and Bay have a lot in common when it comes to how they make movies currently.

Archived