Home

Ubisoft plans to require constant net connection just to play their games

Jae Onasi

I wonder how much it costs to implement these DRM solutions. I can't imagine Ubi's new system is cheap - 24x7 servers, bandwidth, employees to monitor the DRM. If they didn't have any DRM, they could have just saved their money.

Piracy is unstoppable and resisting it is futile.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder how much it costs to implement these DRM solutions. I can't imagine Ubi's new system is cheap - 24x7 servers, bandwidth, employees to monitor the DRM. If they didn't have any DRM, they could have just saved their money.

Piracy is unstoppable and resisting it is futile.

And those who get the game legally have to pay for those who get it on alternative ways...

And it's not just in games. All those warnings on DVD's too.

Okay things are getting convoluted in here now... so I'll just put out a question.

There's always going to be piracy in some form as long as we have to pay for any sort of media. No matter what kind of DRM is put into a game, there'll be someone around the world who will be able to bypass it and then spread it to the rest of the world which means that all that effort to add the DRM into the game was a wasted effort in the first place. So, after that happens, why is it still necessary to shackle down and punish the rest of the audience who haven't pirated their game?

@ Astro: DRM is like the Rudd governments futile attempts to censor the internet.

On put out console releases? :)

You can bet EA is watching with great interest.

I personally think E.A's method of fighting piracy is better then any other methods of DRM that I can think of. Cerberus Network = FTW. Ubisoft lost all their brain-cells when they started developing their own unique piracy resistances. We should applaud them for making a successful pricey resistance's method that has absolutely no flaws and is 100% perfect.

Yeah, I'm done being sarcastic. :p

In all seriousness though, I think every PC game out there should use a combination of E.A's and Valve's method. Release free DLC to first hand copy owners and have people activate the game online via Steam. That way, you not only stop piracy, but you also have the legitimate consumers more happier with their products. Although, I seriously hope that developers don't release PC games online only for purchase. Unlike most of you, I prefer owning a retail copy. At least I can buy those.

Because.. I'm under 18. And don't have a credit card to buy online.

I personally think E.A's method of fighting pricey is better then any other methods of DRM that I can think of. Cerberus Network = FTW. Ubisoft lost all their brain-cells when they started developing their own unique pricey resistances. We should applaud them for making a successful pricey resistance's method that has absolutely no flaws and is 100% perfect.

In all seriousness though, I think every PC game out there should use a combination of E.A's and Valve's method. Release free DLC to first hand copy owners and have people activate the game online via Steam. That way, you not only stop pricey, but you also have the legitimate consumers more happier with their products. Although, I seriously hope that developers don't release PC games online only for purchase. Unlike most of you, I prefer owning a retail copy. At least I can buy those.

You can pay by debit or pre-paid/gift cards.

I personally think E.A's method of fighting pricey is better then any other methods of DRM that I can think of. Cerberus Network = FTW. Ubisoft lost all their brain-cells when they started developing their own unique pricey resistances. We should applaud them for making a successful pricey resistance's method that has absolutely no flaws and is 100% perfect.

In all seriousness though, I think every PC game out there should use a combination of E.A's and Valve's method. Release free DLC to first hand copy owners and have people activate the game online via Steam. That way, you not only stop pricey, but you also have the legitimate consumers more happier with their products. Although, I seriously hope that developers don't release PC games online only for purchase. Unlike most of you, I prefer owning a retail copy. At least I can buy those.

It's "piracy".

You can pay by debit or pre-paid/gift cards.

I forgot to mention that I don't have a debit card and I have absolutely no idea on where I can buy steam gift cards. But we can discuss about this later. Right now, I just want to get back to the topic at hand.

That was on aussie TV :D

Gabe must be talking about the US market ?

"every one has a $2000 pc, and pays $50/month for an internet connection"

The gaming market in Asia and Eastern Europe is huge - but not easily measurable in terms of PC game sales. In places like Russia, China and S. Korea, Thailand etc *millions* of folks play at internet gaming cafes, for the tune of a few bucks an hour(less if you currency convert)

Steam isn't entirely the best comparison when you want to talk about offline gaming options for SP games. Less restrictive than ubi's current position of course, but still restrictive.

The days of having your SP game on a disc, installing it and playing it without hindrance is going to be something we'll tell our grandkids about 'that's how they did it in the ole days' :p

mtfbwya

On put out console releases? :)

Well obviously this doesn't effect me since I'm primarily a console gamer :p But I gotta look out for my PC bro's n ho's. The restrictions consoles have placed on them are numerous (even without our noticing) but the people seem to accept it all since it's all on pre-made machines. You can't do that with PC gamers though considering that most PC gamers have built their own machine and want things to work their own way.

In terms of DRM, Steam is the only functional system. It actually rewards gamers for using it by giving them the ability to preserve their game indefinitely online. All you need is a Steam account and a credit card.

Your'e kidding me right? Steam is total crap when it comes to privacy. What Ubisoft proposes isn't any better, of course.

If this is the course of PC gaming (or gaming at all), I quit (there's plenty of other things to do anyway). I don't f* need anyone to know when I am in front of my screen or when I'm not, what's on my comp and what's not. I remember Ubisoft asking me to run a diagnosis tool on my comp for a game which would have provided them with the names of all the files on my PC including private client files which were protected by law...had to end up editing the contents of the f*** reports manually during hours and arguing with them about the edits and that was about 5-6 yrs ago...can't imagine what it would be today or if I wouldn't have known what those reports meant regarding the transmission of info... uh...you don't want (or maybe you want) to see a file name referring to company x buying y or other similar transactions & the like. Still since that event, I have a comp dedicated to gaming and other completely useless stuff only (the most useful and secret thing to find on my personal comp is a killer chocolate pudding recipe...).

Nevertheless, what I do when I'm online and how fast or slow I am in taking down a target, which what hardware/software isn't their damn business (not anymore than it takes me to read the page of a book) unless I want to give them that info willingly.

Your'e kidding me right? Steam is total crap when it comes to privacy. What Ubisoft proposes isn't any better, of course.

If this is the course of PC gaming (or gaming at all), I quit (there's plenty of other things to do anyway). I don't f* need anyone to know when I am in front of my screen or when I'm not, what's on my comp and what's not (I remember Ubisoft asking me to run a diagnosis tool on my comp for a game which would have provided them with the names of all the files on my PC including private client files which are protected by law...had to end up editing the contents of the f*** reports manually during hours and arguing with them and that was at least 5-6 yrs ago...can't imagine what it would be today or if I wouldn't have known what those reports meant regarding the transmission of info )

I agree, except I'm too weak willed to resist steam when they have a really good sale on a good game. There's a reason why 90% of the time I'm logged on, I set myself to offline mode. As for various games and their installers scanning my entire pc, I've actually ended up modifying installers and/or keeping my internet connection unplugged during installs etc., in order to prevent it as much as possible, despite the fact that my work and play pcs are completely seperate.

I will admit, however, that steam is very good for coordinating games with others, and it hasn't done anything too invasive yet on my PC. I still find it funny when some people claim that Steam isn't DRM. It's one of the strictest kinds (especially since offline mode is so tempermental), but it's been wrapped up in a layer of useful functionality and user-friendliness that many don't even realize it.

Edit: However this is far more important:

killer chocolate pudding recipe...

I already have ChAiNz's cookie recipe, and this would add to my collection. Please?

Edit: However this is far more important:

killer chocolate pudding recipe....

I already have ChAiNz's cookie recipe, and this would add to my collection. Please?

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
jello_instant_pudding_chocolate_3_9_oz.jpgmilk_325.jpg

****ing Delivered. :carms:

Steam isn't entirely the best comparison when you want to talk about offline gaming options for SP games.

My point was not to promote Steam (I hate it), instead of this crappy Ubi's DRM. My point was to show one guy of this industry saying how these stupid DRM schemes help to increase piracy, and how the solution is to listen to the consumer, and see why they do piracy. Of course he failed by saying the price is not a problem.

If this is the course of PC gaming (or gaming at all), I quit (there's plenty of other things to do anyway). I don't f* need anyone to know when I am in front of my screen or when I'm not, what's on my comp and what's not. I remember Ubisoft asking me to run a diagnosis tool on my comp for a game which would have provided them with the names of all the files on my PC including private client files which were protected by law...had to end up editing the contents of the f*** reports manually during hours and arguing with them about the edits and that was about 5-6 yrs ago...can't imagine what it would be today or if I wouldn't have known what those reports meant regarding the transmission of info... uh...you don't want (or maybe you want) to see a file name referring to company x buying y or other similar transactions & the like. Still since that event, I have a comp dedicated to gaming and other completely useless stuff only (the most useful and secret thing to find on my personal comp is a killer chocolate pudding recipe...).

Nevertheless, what I do when I'm online and how fast or slow I am in taking down a target, which what hardware/software isn't their damn business (not anymore than it takes me to read the page of a book) unless I want to give them that info willingly.

This.

@ Mav:

Yuk!

Show spoiler
Step 1:

Mix:

1 cup flour

3 tea spoon of baking powder

1/4th tea spoon of salt

2 table spoon of cocoa

2 table spoon of butter

Then add:

1/2 cup of milk

1 tea spoon of vanilla

Step 2: Then pour into a buttered mould and add the following syrup:

1 1/2 cup of brown sugar

6 table spoon of cocoa

2 cups of boiling water

Mix the syrup and pour on top of above mix ( i.e. step 1) add 1/4 cup of nuts, if desired.

Cook at 325F during +- 30 Min.

Now you know all my secrets :xp:

@ Mav:

Yuk!

Show spoiler
Step 1:

Mix:

1 cup flour

3 tea spoon of baking powder

1/4th tea spoon of salt

2 table spoon of cocoa

2 table spoon of butter

Then add:

1/2 cup of milk

1 tea spoon of vanilla

Step 2: Then pour into a buttered mould and add the following syrup:

1 1/2 cup of brown sugar

6 table spoon of cocoa

2 cups of boiling water

Mix the syrup and pour on top of above mix ( i.e. step 1) add 1/4 cup of nuts, if desired.

Cook at 325F during +- 30 Min.

Now you know all my secrets :xp:

This is true! I took one mouthful of the pudding, and suddenly I had a true understanding of scripting, instead of the half-understanding I have right now. I also gained some memories of a vacation in Belize :parrot:, but will not reveal any details as I am a fine upstanding fellow, and fear to incur swift and fiery wrath. Your secrets are safe as I still draw breath. :p

And to at least keep of the pretense of being on topic: At this point I wouldn't be surprised if companies tried to make DNA-locked drm in the future. You can only play if you give a little blood, which must be re-submitted into a handy receptor every half hour. Impractical perhaps, but since when has that stopped the entertainment industry in its quest to make fair use a thing of the past?

my bros n hos

I am female and thus not a bro.

I am definitely NOT a ho. :carms:

:xp:

@ D3--Yeah, Bioware will discover that my character has 'licked the lamp post' with Alistair 52 times, stands around in Denerim or Orzammar or camp for hours at a time doing absolutely nothing (while I nap or make and serve dinner), and runs from the Proving grounds to the bridge and back a zillion times with different party members. Occasionally I venture out to kill stuff, too. I agree that none of it is really their business just the same.

Well, I've of course made an exception for you, my chocolate god!

eww, inappropriate :(

OT:

The patch for AC2 was causing some bugs in game performance that otherwise were not there when I was using ubis launcher. I havent bothered trying to get a new patch yet because the rig I play on is always online, so I hadnt really noticed the difference.

From a performance perspective, even with my connection currently slowed to dialup speeds, Ive had no issues with the online sync.

Still for those that arent online all the time, good to have the patches around.. just get one that works for your getup ;)

mtfbwya

relevant bumptron: Last weekend I couldn't get onto AC2 (at about 4.30am). I'm quite certain it was the game and not my connection as all my pcs still had net access.

I didn't think much of it, I was tired and went off to sleep. A couple of days later - ubi sent me this, promising me free stuff because of their server outages. I'll believe it when I see it :p

ubistuff.jpg

mtfbwya

relevant bumptron: Last weekend I couldn't get onto AC2 (at about 4.30am). I'm quite certain it was the game and not my connection as all my pcs still had net access.

I didn't think much of it, I was tired and went off to sleep. A couple of days later - ubi sent me this, promising me free stuff because of their server outages. I'll believe it when I see it :p

ubistuff.jpg

mtfbwya

I'm sorry to hear you did not have a 'seamless experience' with your game.

Could someone explain to me what the hell a 'seamless experience' is supposed to be, anyway?

Archived