Home

Mozilla Firefox: 2003 - 2010 RIP

Darth Groovy

No, nothing has happened to Mozilla Firefox.

However, after a long healthy relationship, and the last two years being nothing but non stop errors, and head aches. I had no choice but to permantly nix it from my computer. For the last week, it simply would not even open up at all. This puts me back with IE until I can find something better.

Any suggestions are welcome.

God do I miss my bookmarks...:ball:

I was having problems with it recently myself, so i backed up my extensions and bookmarks and killed the whole installation and my profile to get rid of any config goof ups. Then I re-installed and set some stuff back up and it's been working fine ever since. I figured some odd error must have wandered in due to the continued updating.

^That would be my guess as well. A lot of these Firefox installations that are experiencing problems are actually years old. All of the updating can lead to instability, especially with XP, so it would be best to do a fresh install instead of using the updater.

Another vote for Chrome here.

I actually had Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and Safari installed for quite some time. Firefox was my main browser purely because of its extensions (such as Adblock Plus), but after time it was dreadfully clear how many more issues it had than the other browsers (such as with the flash player).

I really like Opera, but my current browser is Chrome ever since it received its own version of Adblock. And it's so fast!

@OP, thanks for the warning.

I used google chrome previously, but it may not get along very well with emachines (I'm using right now) as it tends to slow things down a bit. Or HP for that matter, not that most people besides my parents and a psychotic family friend use those.

Wanted to try Opera for some time now so I'll put my name into that hat as well.

EDIT: Say Groovy, can't you import your bookmarks to IE for the time being?

EDIT EDIT: Thanks below SWPhreak. :)

I have been using Chrome on my netbook since I bought it ~6 months ago, and have started using it more on my desktop as well (worked around not having adblock by using special hosts files). I like the minimalist interface, although one thing I absolutely hate about it is how it sometimes sticks on top of the Start menu even when the menu is set to autohide (this is actually a documented bug that's been around for quite some time). Other than that, it works great and is very fast (particularly on javascript-heavy sites like /.).

>.<

Chrome's Adblock Plus has an issue with the deviantART notification system. It's a real hassle and aaaalmost making me want to switch back.

But I think being able to have 20 tabs open without any slowdown is worth it. And I can always just turn adblock on and off when I'm on dA.

Archived