Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

Yes, and didn't he SAY "love" when Guybrush turns around for the "you've got love written all over your face" joke? I mean, that just beggars belief.

Haha, yeah. I imagine that's a case of someone just printed out a script from the game of every bit of dialogue and "love" appeared so it was read and recorded without much thought.

Who knows?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But either way, old LucasArts adventures had probably the most professional voice acting available at that time

I'm just playing Grim Fandango again (by accident) and the voice acting is actually just amazing. I keep being surprised. You make a very valid point. I could easily watch someone else play Grim Fandango and treat it like a brilliant movie. It really is a level above the stuff we get these days.

There's a couple of things in this game that I'll be interested to see how they handle. One is all of Guybrush's "nices". What I mean is in the original, any time you have Guybrush examine an object that Ron, Tim, and Dave evidentally didn't feel like writing a specific description for, Guybrush will simply say "Nice ---" with the dashes representing the name of the object. Ex: Guybrush looks at door, causing Guybrush to say "Nice door." Another thing is the pieces of eight. After you buy the wood polish and use it on the one man of low moral fiber's wooden leg, he'll give you a piece of eight. And he does this every single time you do it. Meaning that unless they put in some limit to how many pieces of eight you could earn by doing this task, Guybrush can end up with an infinite number of pieces of eight. (Is there an actual limit? I've never had the patience or the lack of a social life necessary to find out.)

Another thing is the pieces of eight. After you buy the wood polish and use it on the one man of low moral fiber's wooden leg, he'll give you a piece of eight. And he does this every single time you do it. Meaning that unless they put in some limit to how many pieces of eight you could earn by doing this task, Guybrush can end up with an infinite number of pieces of eight. (Is there an actual limit? I've never had the patience or the lack of a social life necessary to find out.)

There is a limit. Exactly 5999. :D

Er, as I recall it was 19 times... because you needed 20 pieces of eight to solve the puzzle you were facing at the time.

Is my memory faulty?

There's a couple of things in this game that I'll be interested to see how they handle. One is all of Guybrush's "nices". What I mean is in the original, any time you have Guybrush examine an object that Ron, Tim, and Dave evidentally didn't feel like writing a specific description for, Guybrush will simply say "Nice ---" with the dashes representing the name of the object. Ex: Guybrush looks at door, causing Guybrush to say "Nice door."

Yes. The worst was in LeChuck's Fortress. There's that wall of signs which, ordinarily, would have had something funny written on each of them ("Little torture chambers", "Big torture chambers", "Themed torture chambers", "Pointy instrument storage", "Rusty instrument storage", "Blunt instrument storage", "Diseases A to H", "Kitchen (and torture chamber)", "Sharpening room", etc. Just like every voodoo pot in the International HoMo. I'm sure everyone here could come up with something funnier.). But instead they apparently never properly finished the game and just left it so that every single sign had the same response: "Nice sign".

I'm actually kind of surprised that the mighty trio haven't gone back to fix this, as the latter part of the game really does feel unfinished (and they've admitted in interviews that there was pressure in the company to cut corners on things towards the end of the game -- because management thought not many people would see them). Oh well.

Also, the verbcoin seems to be the new interface. Much better.

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!

You need 6000 pieces of eight to buy the map piece from the shop on Booty Island, I think.

No, you need 6000 pieces of eight to charter a ship from Captain Kate, then you get the Mad Monkey head and buy the map piece with that.

Welcome to the forums, unicornfoal! Awesome avatar.

The new interface mentioned in http://shfts.com/?p=2959 sounds very good, and a big improvement from the last SE. Has anyone seen it, though? I don't recall it being in the leaked videos.

I guess "nice sign" has a charm in its own way. The game is so full of jokes and witty remarks that the simplicity of "nice sign" fits Guybrush's quite limited view of the world.

As to the big numbers, could they do it so that Dom only has to say a certain amount of numbers, and then they could remix it together? So for instance Dom records "3" and "hundred" and they put those together to make "103" -- the trouble with this is that it sometimes sound unatural, but maybe that wouldn't matter (it could be funny if Guybrush sounds like a speaking clock?)

I also remember that the near grog bottle could be drunk in stages that half it each time, and it goes down very low indeed -- but I can't remember if Guybrush comments on that, or if the low number is just in the item description in the interface.

The interface could be seen briefly in the leaked vid:

interfacewm.jpg

So I guess other objects show more verb-icons around the compass.

Regarding the numbers, there was a similar thing in the first game (the number of pieces of eight you had), and some numbers were recorded, and then Guybrush just said something along the lines of "I've got more pieces of eight than I'll ever need." or something.

Maybe you can only polish his peg-leg for a tip after you've already chartered the boat? I can't remember this in detail.

19 pieces of eight is max in part 1, to avoid people skipping the puzzles where you are hired as the chef at the bloody lip. In part 2 you can seemingly get an unlimited number of coins from him, although the 5999 cap mentioned earlier is probably correct.

Archived