Home

Comicon geek chic...

Totenkopf

Don't pay much attention to that crowd. Just figured that that much effort into a costume was excessive/obsessive. Still, long as they don't bother anyone, to each their own. It's much more than I could ever be arsed to do, though...

If I ever went to one of these things, I think I would just wake up, grab my bath robe and a towel, and say I was Arthur Dent.

I think I would rather like using it as an excuse to not bother with the normal routine of getting ready for the day.

"What do you mean? I am in a costume. I spent all mont... er, year, many, many years working on it."

Bob Lazy Lion. roar.

Ah yes. I saw this article and was wondering if I was going to be the one to put it up.

I'd say if they put effort into it and don't just half-ass it, then I give that person leeway and of course recognition. Otherwise it's laughable to downright creepy.

There are some people, a lot of people, though who do it wrong and really take it too far. Creepy as in a "so weird that even odd folks don't want to be around you" sort of way. These are the kind of people, with few to no redeeming qualities, whose life seems to practically revolve around whatever character and the conventions--and not in a positive way.

The woman in the OP article does not fit that. If anything, she exemplifies the positive, if obsessive, side. She takes pride in what she does and has the right attitude about doing it. She has a real life and it's just a hobby. The evident quality is a result of her hobby being a singular one IMO.

No merchant who says "you look like a retard" ever does it looking you in the eye because it'll get them scrutinized if not booted. Or if they do it'll (rightly so) get them an onslaught of insults.

I could never afford any good costume, though I have noticed those with a humble Jedi Robe and a lightsaber seem to do fairly well. :devsmoke:

Several years ago I observed the only half significant female attention it would get was strictly fangirls, moms, and the like. I'm glad to say that is slowly becoming "not the case" anymore. Women of all kinds seem to like these things now. The "honeys" that dress up usually are doing it for their resume'--well that and they like putting themselves on display for a flood of relatively innocent admiration (when you consider the other "venues" out there :naughty: to be sure). Also it's just good to see some interaction between the sexes.

In any case, conventions are good to go to just occasionally every once in a blue moon as it's really little more than a money trap. You can meet people there and socialize too. Actually, it's way more fun if you have friends to share with and you get to know the (fairly sane) people there.

I think some of the Costumes being made are just Awesome, but Its not really what these interests of mine are about, I love Star Wars as an immersive Story, and connect with the characters plots and locales... I'm a Fan of Star Wars, not George Lucus, Luke Skywalker not Mark hamill, if that makes any sense. I have no interest in the Actors or behind the scenes footage as it destroys the Story for me. So obviously conventions, well, actor signings and behind the scenes info is a no no for me.

Also none of my R/L friends are Star Wars or even sci-fi fans or gamers (Maybe a console shoot em up now and again) So this is something I enjoy alone or chat about on LF now and again :)

You should see the Borg and Klingon costumes at the Star Trek conventions. Now that's some crazy stuff.

I see what you mean -

picture.php?albumid=678&pictureid=8380

But they all pale in comparison to this -

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
picture.php?albumid=678&pictureid=8381

:p

This kind of stuff is exactly why I can't join the 501st or Rebel Legions. I find that they're a bit too picky about how the costume looks. To me, if it bears a strong resemblance then it's a good costume. But the folks that get real nitpicky with the details (the fabric used, where the pockets are, where the seams are, the angle of the fibers, etc.) that keep me from doing cosplay and joining said fan organizations. I just don't have the money nor the time to get that picky with the details. Plus, its the anime and manga cosplayers that really creep me out. Star Wars, Star Trek and the like creep me out too, just not as much as. Regardless of how I feel about this subject and how hypocritical it is of me, I do intend to make a Han Solo costume for Celebration VI.

^^^Thing is, when you're with the 501st, that's like "top of the top" tier. Professionals. I don't know if they did anything official for LA but it would not surprise me. Even trained martial artists and stunt people partake in the 501st legion.

It's all where you draw the line on these issues how one determines what is creepy or not. Depends what is 'worth it' to you.

If there was just a bunch of people with crappy to madiocre costumes and had little acting skills but insisted on parading around, that would probably drive anyone away.

Last year there was a car wash with a bunch of hotties in slave Leia outfits, and one in a Padm'e outfit. That'd be worth it to me.

@Astor: WHOA! Not bad!

^^^Thing is, when you're with the 501st, that's like "top of the top" tier. Professionals. I don't know if they did anything official for LA but it would not surprise me. Even trained martial artists and stunt people partake in the 501st legion.

From what I remember, whenever Skywalker Ranch needs a whole load of Troopers for a promo event they call in the 501st. I remember seeing some YT vids of them providing the bulk of marchers for the Tournament of Roses parade when Lucas was Grand Marshal or something.

You can go to the conventions and be part of some of the fan organizations without having a 'perfect' costume. There are plenty of groups out there that aren't as anal retentive about costuming as groups like the 501st. In fact, when I went to a Trek convention last fall with my son, we went in regular clothes. About half the attendees were in some sort of costume, and about half were in normal street clothes.

^^^What I like about some cosplay conventions are how some fangirls will "yuri" for pay. :dev9:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
37523xstreetfighteryuri.jpg

I didn't mind being a part of some organizations, problem is that because I have so many interests I'm often times floating about so you will only get me for periods at a time.

Since I have my equipment and a little bit of electronics and craftsmanship skill, I am considering trying my hand at making lightsaber props like the one I built a while back. Obviously I can't compete with the likes of Advanced Light Weaponry, but I have some concept ideas of my own which I'm sure others have not--or at least a way of presenting them differently.

Archived