Home

Your Favorite Sabers

VarsityPuppet

Okay, so it's become fairly clear that I can't visit this site without doing something. And the more I play TSLRCM, the more I realize we need a sweet new mod. Not another content mod - a peripheral system.

So, I have an idea. It's a saber mod. I have everything mapped out. I know what I need to do. The issue is doing it.

So I have an experiment I want to try. Maybe it'll revolutionize Kotor modding, maybe it won't. Only time will tell.

I will be recruiting (although 'recruiting' is not right word)

I need people who can model lightsabers. (There is no inbetween. You can or you can't)

I need people who will not object to grunt work (Don't worry, I'm making a tool that will ease your troubles).

I need someone with a keen sense of narrative (Good spelling, good at writing item descriptions)

You will need to download some tools.

For right now, I need to know what lightsabers need to be made. I need suggestions

USM sabers are welcome (I have permission from Chainz.2da to use USM sabers)

HOTOR sabers are welcome.

Anything you can find on the internet is welcome.

Keep in mind I want to keep with the ornate saber style of the Old Republic. And varied styles are a must. The idea is to have a saber type for each Force Class (9).

Also, I will be using Nihilus' saber from my mod, and I currently have a Darth Sion saber which I will post later.

Eventually, we wil get to Each Jedi Master and Sith Lord saber, but not right now. I want to see how these 9 will play out first.

This is ultimately to get an idea of the saber designs you, the end user, will want to see. In the meantime, with all of this brainstorming, I will be working in the shadows so we can start working right away.

So... .GO!!!!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if I could model I would help... But I do have a suggestion for a lightsaber: link yep I know thats probobly impossible to model.

Thanks- Supreme Kotor

No, certainly not impossible, and frankly that's a good recommendation... as long as it's not a saber model that anyone in SW canon currently possesses.

I need someone with a keen sense of narrative (Good spelling, good at writing item descriptions)

If I'm a stickler for anything, it's grammar and spelling. If you'll have me, I should be able to do it, but it would depend on time. When do you want to get down into the nitty gritty of making this thing? I'll have the most time in May and June, July onwards gets pretty insane.

If I'm a stickler for anything, it's grammar and spelling. If you'll have me, I should be able to do it, but it would depend on time. When do you want to get down into the nitty gritty of making this thing? I'll have the most time in May and June, July onwards gets pretty insane.

Depends on what sabers we can brainstorm by then. I'm hoping mid May would be easy enough to have all said descriptions planned and written out.

I'm with you on the grammar and spelling, but unfortunately don't have the time to help with that.

An example of me being a stickler: I'm reading a game guide off of gamefaqs and correcting or re-writing parts as I am trying to read it to play the dang game.

Depends on what sabers we can brainstorm by then. I'm hoping mid May would be easy enough to have all said descriptions planned and written out.

Cool. I'm in.

An example of me being a stickler: I'm reading a game guide off of gamefaqs and correcting or re-writing parts as I am trying to read it to play the dang game.

Haha, yup, I'm the same way with Wikipedia. It makes it a little more difficult to actually read anything, doesn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
James Villanueva has done a great amount of hi-res commissions for people, and I think they would look good.

I asked that guy about this a while ago and here is what he said:

My models would not translate to a gaming platform because of the high poly count of the spline objects. This an example of my construction of my sabers http://risiavyle.deviantart.com/gallery/25028578#/d2qtcyy . I created them more for still renders rather than animation. Also at this time I have no plans to sell or trade any of the models/meshes that I create. In the past I have had problems with some people who I traded with selling the meshes that I created on their or other websites claiming they had made them.

Have you gone to DeviantArt? JamesVillanueva has done a great amount of hi-res comissions for people, and I think they would look good.

Still serves as good inspiration. It's come down to that I'm going to have to model all of the hilts myself (at least for the base mod).

I already have 4 done (2 were already done before.) It doesn't take long at all to even get a saber modeled.

It's the texturing/UV Mapping that'll take up the time.

An update for you all!

It comes in video form (2 videos)

Videos include an original modeled saber hilt, a new modding tool and a shameless plug for mine and 90SK's mod. There are still more secrets to come as well. Stay tuned and enjoy!

And as I always say: Suck it, Jaevyn!

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

One last thing I forgot to highlight in the video: DupliSaber can indeed be configured to export sabers in MANY DIFFERENT COLORS. For instance, when I was developing this mod with Crixler, we had brainstormed at least 30 different colors! To do that manually would have taken forever... but now it won't!

Wow, duplisaber sounds pretty awesome. In theory, duplisaber should work with any model and item combinations right? So weapons and masks as well?

Currently, it only works for sabers because I hard-coded it to look for certain values in the hex code. Would not be hard to modify it for masks or items, but it doesn't seem as useful because generally speaking, most weapons or models don't end up needing several different color variations.

Currently, it only works for sabers because I hard-coded it to look for certain values in the hex code. Would not be hard to modify it for masks or items, but it doesn't seem as useful because generally speaking, most weapons or models don't end up needing several different color variations.

I don't really see it for wepons but the mask models and clothing models would be cool.

Completly different system there. Clothes skins are done with 2da not model files

Mostly. :p

From what I recall there are a few exceptions to that rule. Can't think of what they are off the top of my head though. (Must be my memory failing with old age. :xp:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived