Home

Simple question; Is LucasForums dead in all but name?

Annoy the hell out of them if that's what it takes.

Don't really want to annoy them too bad or they may vote against me joining their ranks. But I do understand we need to get them to log in.

Lynk, I don't know if you can or not but can you give us some insight on what the process is on the admin side of things when selecting new staff?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the process, all they want to know is that you're interested in doing something and letting them know what skills you have that would be useful.

How many need to weigh in to make a decision?

EDIT: I did end up getting a PM back now as well.

EDIT 2: Another response. The PMs are flowing in today!

Hey everyone, we've been listening and love that there is interest in revitalizing the forums. Feel free to PM myself, Lynk Former, or another active admin if you are interested in helping us update the forums and network.

Like stoffe mentioned, we are especially interested in anyone who is familiar with server administration, php/mysql, or interested in writing or managing a new gaming website. But I don't want to discourage anyone who wants to help out or has ideas for the forums. And of course, please continue the discussion in this thread as well.

To answer the posted question, I certainly hope not. This place was the online refuge for my teenage angst, and there's still a few familliar faces I see that are around. I can't do anything computer related except lend my presence to posting. Here's hoping to many more active days here.

To answer the posted question, I certainly hope not. This place was the online refuge for my teenage angst, and there's still a few familliar faces I see that are around. I can't do anything computer related except lend my presence to posting. Here's hoping to many more active days here.

The good news is that the conversation appears to be bearing fruit. We're starting to figure out where we all can contribute our time, and what can be done to streamline, modernise, and revitalise this community. We're currently sort of feeling out for a graphic designer, however. So, if anyone reading these has any skill with photoshop or graphic design on websites, that's really where we could use the most help at the moment.

How many need to weigh in to make a decision?

Someone bringing a suggestion up and nobody speaking out against it within a reasonable time given to respond, I'd guess. Don't think there are any formal processes for appointing staff, at least not that I'm aware of. :)

Should give people a week to voice their opinion, if they so choose.

I've received PMs from a few more people regarding this. I've not replied since I don't have anything meaningful to say yet, but I've read them. :)

We're currently sort of feeling out for a graphic designer, however. So, if anyone reading these has any skill with photoshop or graphic design on websites, that's really where we could use the most help at the moment.

I can help out with Photoshop-related stuff. Haven't done much graphic design professionally, though. I'm more in the software development business, working with Java/Javascript. Still, I do draw as a hobby - got a Wacom Cintiq, so I do it directly in Photoshop and Illustrator to a lesser extent.

On the less technical side, I could help out with forum restructuring/reorganizing. If the site bears fruit, I might even be interested in adding content to it from time to time (but it's way too early to get into that).

I've listed several areas with which I might be able/willing to help, but it's important to say outright, that I wouldn't be able to commit to helping with all of it. So, I guess we could start with Photoshop/Illustrator stuff for now and Lynk, Jeff, stoffe, feel free to PM me, if you think I could help you with some of the other things I mentioned (or even if you think I might be able to help with something I didn't mention). I participated in Lynk's last attempt to revamp this place, doing some content migration to the new site, so Lynk can probably tell outright how much you guys should or shouldn't count on me :)

I can help out with Photoshop-related stuff. Haven't done much graphic design professionally, though. I'm more in the software development business, working with Java/Javascript. Still, I do draw as a hobby - got a Wacom Cintiq, so I do it directly in Photoshop and Illustrator to a lesser extent.

On the less technical side, I could help out with forum restructuring/reorganizing. If the site bears fruit, I might even be interested in adding content to it from time to time (but it's way too early to get into that).

I've listed several areas with which I might be able/willing to help, but it's important to say outright, that I wouldn't be able to commit to helping with all of it. So, I guess we could start with Photoshop/Illustrator stuff for now and Lynk, Jeff, stoffe, feel free to PM me, if you think I could help you with some of the other things I mentioned (or even if you think I might be able to help with something I didn't mention). I participated in Lynk's last attempt to revamp this place, doing some content migration to the new site, so Lynk can probably tell outright how much you guys should or shouldn't count on me :)

PM Jeff for details on how you can help. :)

I have a suggestion for what a regular member could do.

And that one should be obvious. Talk. While I agree with the fact that simple talk about "what should we do" is not enough, the fact is, if people would have kept up talking on these forums enough, we wouldn't be having this disuccion right now. So, people: Keep talking. And not only in this topic; start conversations, and keep conversations alive.

Not saying that getting active staff instead of inactive one wouldn't be needed; but active staff is not enough. Active regular members are what makes community alive.

I have a suggestion for what a regular member could do.

And that one should be obvious. Talk. While I agree with the fact that simple talk about "what should we do" is not enough, the fact is, if people would have kept up talking on these forums enough, we wouldn't be having this disuccion right now. So, people: Keep talking. And not only in this topic; start conversations, and keep conversations alive.

Not saying that getting active staff instead of inactive one wouldn't be needed; but active staff is not enough. Active regular members are what makes community alive.

Talking really isn't the problem. These forums are based on games that are no longer on the "cool games radar". It's all past their expiration dates and gone stale, and because of this conversations have died down.

Once we get that fresh make over and focus on future games and movies (the new Star Wars movies is really gonna help a lot), there will be more than enough to talk about.:thmbup1:

Aren't you all so glad I made this thread now. I declare myself the savior of the LFNetwork. Now bow before me, degenerates!:p

I personally would love to write reviews for anything and everything star wars, if that is what you guys want on a potential website. I am much more skilled with words than I am with algorithms. I could write anything really, and I'm actually pretty good at it. Although I doubt what I'm offering is very useful. but hey ho, just throwing it out there.

I like Taak's idea, but suggest opening it up to all forum members. We could have a featured review on the home page, that changes every month. Might encourage participation, getting to see your review up front like that.

*(Opens up a bag of chips and tosses them on Lynkster.)*

Let us celebrate good fortune with confetti. :D

Taaks idea isn't bad, but I see some problems with it.

First, what games would be reviewed? There aren't that many out there, and there aren't many coming out in the near future.

Second, who would review these games? Would someone post a review, then we vote to see it on the front page?

Third, one all the games to date have been reviewed, what then? Would we keep posting reviews from different folks? Reviewing the same games over and over?

Sure, not a lot of noteworthy Star Wars game on the horizon to review, but reviews are just one of many things that we could do, though. If we'd set our goals to writing articles on a regular basis, we'd have to have some variation anyway.

The first thing to come to mind is retrospectives. The LucasArts company has a huge library of games that we could write about, some of which have already gotten a lot attention years after their release, some of which have not. It'd provide us with quite a bit of material for a long time and it'd be a great opportunity to put some of the older games in the spotlight once more. But retrospectives don't need to be all about the games, we could put the spotlight on the community, dig into the history of this place and why it's special to many people here. Perhaps some roundtable discussions with certain members discussing whatever we feel is relevant, on the games or the community.

We've got hundreds of mods scattered over many subcommunities who could get a chance in the spotlight with, as SH suggested, a mod review or a feature.

Then there's Battlefront, which opens up a lot of possibilities for the community to present itself. Our own server, open to any who would join us, but which would be distinctly LF. I'm not sure how tweakable the game would be in that regard, but organize some special events on certain days, special combat rules or just classic LF goofing around, etc.

Perhaps we could tie in a youtube channel for video content. I don't have any ideas at this moment for features that we could do, but there must be a lot of possibilities.

Archived