Home

Simple question; Is LucasForums dead in all but name?

Things are going pretty well, we've been working pretty well behind closed doors... and I do know that people are curious about what is going on. In short, we're trying to get all the ducks in a row and all the background stuff laid out before we can say anything concrete in public.

However, I am pretty pleased with the way things are going so far. It's not going to be easy, but I really do hope we can make something of all this effort everyone is putting into the project.

Bravo!

I wish I had the time to help out, in whatever small way I could, but I wish you guys all the best - I can't wait to see what you've all been beavering away at. :)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who else is lurking in the wings? It would be great if anyone who comes by regularly could begin posting to establish their presence and interest (or lack thereof) in migrating to the new website, or whatever it is the admins are cooking up behind closed doors, before everyone jumps on the wagon and goes to Canaan, lest we get there and have no more active users than we have here.

*Whip cracks*

Speak up!

Just an aside, this forum contains the most information about modding Jade Empire on the net as seen in this longstanding thread:

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2867096#post2867096

Not that it's terribly active, but just another way this forum still provides value.

See, you literally won't find that anywhere else on the web. Things like that are what set these forums a cut above. That, and it's the last online community I've been a part of comprised of users who post like civilized human beings. I could rant on for hours about the flaws of other popular online communities, but I think you get the message. I guess people simply don't care about community value so much as networking value anymore. ;(

@milestails: Indeed. That's why we're going to preserve the forum archives and also bring over valuable threads like that into the active parts of the forum when we restructure later on.

Of course, as I said before, we'll open it up to discussion before we do anything major so that people are informed about what is going on in detail and have their say.

Could someone of you please fix those "deprecated" errors at the website? They look very unprofessional, and make the site look quite... broken. Just a kind request.

I'd voluteer to help, but I have too much on my plate as it is. And for some reason, all of the communities I try to administrate in any degree seem to just die, and that wouldn't be very helpful here...

Could someone of you please fix those "deprecated" errors at the website? They look very unprofessional, and make the site look quite... broken. Just a kind request.

I'd voluteer to help, but I have too much on my plate as it is. And for some reason, all of the communities I try to administrate in any degree seem to just die, and that wouldn't be very helpful here...

Well, we'll always need people to create content and contribute to the discussion, so don't feel excluded. Future prospects for the new site are actually looking pretty bright.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep everyone up to speed, we're pretty close to soft launching Star Wars Gamer... there's just a few more things to do.

I'm sure some of you have already noticed that the Star Wars Gamer forum has appeared on the home page of LucasForums. Right now there's nothing much in there. I've just set it up right to get things out of the way on that front.

We'll talk more about the forum restructuring once I post my opening post for Star Wars Gamer which will appear in the "Holonet Relay Station" forum... hopefully later tomorrow.

I am somewhat confused. How is replicating the format of the LF and then just putting all the new threads into just one forum helping out?

As an example: In the modding section of Star Wars Gamer, would if not be more difficult to find what game you're modding if the modding thread applies to all games?

I'm not privy to the big picture so don't mind me rambling out loud.

I am somewhat confused. How is replicating the format of the LF and then just putting all the new threads into just one forum helping out?

As an example: In the modding section of Star Wars Gamer, would if not be more difficult to find what game you're modding if the modding thread applies to all games?

I'm not privy to the big picture so don't mind me rambling out loud.

I believe the rationale is that a new website with its own domain holds more appeal in this age of the Internet (the better part of several pages in this thread was spent decrying the death of the forums platform) and represents a way to consolidate years upon years of accumulated community posts while placing LFN at the spearhead of the Star Wars renaissance with a website that can stay updated in real time. Another plus is the ability to present news and articles on up-to-date subject matter in the streamlined format in which posts can be presented (think of a news feed on the homepage, as opposed to a registration process and then having to rifle through forums, subforums, and pages of threads). People are lazy on the Internet these days. They don't always feel like clicking through layers and layers of organization to find the information they want.

In addition, although I may be mistaken, the website hasn't replicated the format of LF. It's a conventional website with links back to LF, and everything posted on there will show up in a forum here, but the idea is to encourage migration to the new website without completely axing LF.

I'm sorry if that doesn't answer your question...I'm involved as a low-level writer. Lynk or Canderis would be the one to ask.

The forum structure in Star Wars Gamer is just a skeleton at the moment. The goal is to combine the various communities around LucasForums-such as here and the jk.net community into one because there isn't enough people around for all those separate little niches. Modding of course needs to be separated because you cannot instal brotherhood of shadows or tslrcm into empire at war. See my thread in the Modding section. We aren't rolling out new forums yet. We are just preparing for it.

"This place was built for an era of the Internet that is no longer sustainable, unfortunately..."

Can you explain what you mean by that? I only read the first page and this one, so if the answer was in between, tell me so I can read the middle pages too.

"This place was built for an era of the Internet that is no longer sustainable, unfortunately..."

Can you explain what you mean by that? I only read the first page and this one, so if the answer was in between, tell me so I can read the middle pages too.

The internet was once a very well established 'society' and there used to be big forums for almost anything. The problem is that internet culture in general isn't all that social anymore because most people join forums initially because they have questions about something; questions that are now more likely to be answered with a Google search.

There is also a case for anonymity, as the cynic in me would say that the internet is a much more hostile place than it was 10 years ago.

There is also a case for anonymity, as the cynic in me would say that the internet is a much more hostile place than it was 10 years ago.

I dunno if I'd call that cynicism or a good understanding of probability...anonymity does strange things to people, and as more people begin using the Internet for social and leisure purposes, statistically there's a greater possibility of hostility with the advent of more users.

Irrelevant, but somebody could cite that if they ever need to write an analysis of Internet subculture...

The internet was once a very well established 'society' and there used to be big forums for almost anything. The problem is that internet culture in general isn't all that social anymore because most people join forums initially because they have questions about something; questions that are now more likely to be answered with a Google search.

There's also the advent of newer social media sites like Reddit and Tumblr whose userbases have expanded quickly over the past decade and have taken over from forums as the new hubs of the internet. Most internet cultures have dedicated and active communities over there, which are usually found by new users before the forums of the old days.

Forums in today's Internet can't exist simply as a place for people to talk about things and to post random links to other places. That goes into the realm of social media and such.

Forums do exist in today's Internet and there are some good examples of them, but they are MEGA forums with huge amounts of activity that end up turning a community into its own Internet subculture. A good example of this is neogaf, a place that is a force to be reckoned with that has its own culture that hold strong because they have a certain way of doing things that people like and want to be a part of.

LucasForums in its current state can't compete with social media and everything else that's out there. To survive, we have to try to build ourselves up to be a mega forum, and we were at one point in time.

To get to that point, we have to make a lot of changes around here and put in a lot of effort to get us on that road. It's not going to be a particularly easy road, but if we can manage it, we can make this community grow and encourage people to join us.

That doesn't just mean posting up stuff on starwarsgamer.com and redirecting people to discussions on LucasForums, it also means creating a culture here that people will want to be a part of in the first place. Something that makes us different from social media.

Archived