Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

Dom, welcome to the discussion! I’m so glad you returned for Guybrush! You’re such a great constant force in these games!

Also, please don’t spill any beans you’re not supposed to. We’ll just have to wait like good little boys and girls. 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

To be fair, that's pretty much what I assumed. I guess I should have asked last year, when there was no sign of ever being another MI game. 😉

Maybe we should ask every few months and as soon as Dom declines, we can be dead certain a new Monkey Island is secretly in the works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dmnkly said:

Yyyyyyyyeah, I did consider the possibility that jumping in may be more of an unintentional taunt than anything. And I'm sure the intentional (but meant in good humor!) taunt on Twitter this week probably didn't help. But yeah, even if I weren't the type to play it straight by nature, a Disney NDA definitely has a way of, um... solidifying my commitment to secrecy 😄

Oh no listen, you're good. If it were anyone else I might think of this as a taunt but we've known you in the community for years. I was there when you popped up in #monkey-island and nobody believed you until you recorded a voice clip. I seem to remember you just went by Dom at first, until people started calling you Dmnkly because we're such nerds :D

Listen, you're 'one of us', you just happen to be one of us who landed an absolute dream role 25 years ago and you've got as much right to be here and excited about the game as the rest of us.

I'd never want to exclude you from these discussions just because there's a bit of me that wants to see inside your head and find out what you know.

• Like 2

Dom! Welcome back! Can't wait to hear you as Guybrush again after all these years!

( Actually, while you're here, do you know who is voicing LeChuck in the game at this point? And have you heard their performance?... )

Next week is Summer Game Fest, so I feel it's pretty likely that we'll finally see some more ReMI content there. I'm gonna predict a new trailer and a release date. Feels like ages since the last official piece of news!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fentongames said:

Dom! Welcome back! Can't wait to hear you as Guybrush again after all these years!

( Actually, while you're here, do you know who is voicing LeChuck in the game at this point? And have you heard their performance?... )

Next week is Summer Game Fest, so I feel it's pretty likely that we'll finally see some more ReMI content there. I'm gonna predict a new trailer and a release date. Feels like ages since the last official piece of news!

I have a feeling Dom has constant mice with snipers hooked up to their ears watching him every minute, so I doubt he'll spill the beans, but I would love to know who's playing LeChuck, but even if he can't tell us, it'd be interesting to hear if Dom's heard the new voice  @Glokiddreally convinced me that Gary Chalk, who played Willie and Carney Joe in Thimbleweed Park would be a great choice for the role. He's similar in age to Boen and his past voicework sounds like he could do a good impression of him while adding his own flavor . 

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'd be happy with Chalk too. And having a past relationship with Ron makes it more likely, I think. I'm going to take and guess that we'll, at the very least, hear a preview of him if there's a new trailer for Summer Game Fest.

Looks like Gavin Hammond is confirmed as Stan, then! Though it does make the continuity of the whole thing weird, we've been there and back with Elaine before, and Hammond was great in Tales.

4 minutes ago, fentongames said:

Looks like Gavin Hammond is confirmed as Stan, then! Though it does make the continuity of the whole thing weird, we've been there and back with Elaine before, and Hammond was great in Tales.

Imo picking Gavin Hammon for Stan feels like a deliberate choice to fit alongside Tales chronologically. 
Oh god...what if he actually took the "naked attorney at law" thing and ran with it?! Avert your eyes, kids. 

5 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Imo picking Gavin Hammon for Stan feels like a deliberate choice to fit alongside Tales chronologically. 
Oh god...what if he actually took the "naked attorney at law" thing and ran with it?! Avert your eyes, kids. 

Maybe if Stan's scenes take place after Tales, it might make more sense. Otherwise, I guess Stan just goes through voices depending on the business he's trying to push! (Think the cabinet of heads in Return To Oz but with voiceboxes...)

"Naked attorney at law!" Hehe. Some 1970's sitcom style shot framing would probably be appropriate in that instance!

Knowing Stan, though, I'd imagine he'd have a new career before settling on law! (Wonder what it'll be in this game, thinking about it... Don't think we've had a "Previously Owned" business since MI2.)

Edited by fentongames

3 minutes ago, fentongames said:

Hehe. Some 1970's sitcom style shot framing would probably be appropriate in that instance!

Knowing Stan, though, I'd imagine he'd have a new career before settling on law! (Wonder what it'll be in this game, thinking about it... Don't think we've had a "Previously Owned" business since MI2.)

Well, he already settled on law in Tales, prosecuting Guybrush, but after nearly losing his jacket to the moths of the Flotsam Jungle he considered doing the job naked, "you've got nothing to hide...and neither does he". It'd be pretty funny to see a plaid bar over the "important bits" move with his walking animation instead of his jacket, though that might border on Larry humour. I agree though, the Previously Owned theme should return.

Edited by OzzieMonkey

15 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Please don't make Stan a weird clone that sells everything in the Caribbean. (Sorry Ozzie)

How about a weird clone that sells the Caribbean?

15 hours ago, Dmnkly said:

Either way, I suck.

Oh don't worry. If that were true, we'd know.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:42 PM, BillyCheers said:

Although I don't find the idea to return to Mêlée Island that exciting for now

I really hope they will go the LeChuck's Revenge route and give us the opportunity to travel between several islands in the same act, including Mêlée Island™.

3 hours ago, fentongames said:

Not sure they're close to telling us a release date yet. But yeah, we'll have news, and in the wildest and most franchise fitting fashion imaginable: As part of a Devolver Presentation on June 9th.

If anyone here hasn't got a clue what Devolver is pulling off during these marketing stunts, I highly recommend hitting the ol' youtube for a primer.

Here's the 2021 presentation:

I'm so looking forward to this! The sheer chance that Dave and Ron could be in there somewhere. Whoooooaaahhh. 🤯

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

How about a weird clone that sells the Caribbean?

Oh don't worry. If that were true, we'd know.

I really hope they will go the LeChuck's Revenge route and give us the opportunity to travel between several islands in the same act, including Mêlée Island™.

Not sure they're close to telling us a release date yet. But yeah, we'll have news, and in the wildest and most franchise fitting fashion imaginable: As part of a Devolver Presentation on June 9th.

If anyone here hasn't got a clue what Devolver is pulling off during these marketing stunts, I highly recommend hitting the ol' youtube for a primer.

Here's the 2021 presentation:

I'm so looking forward to this! The sheer chance that Dave and Ron could be in there somewhere. Whoooooaaahhh. 🤯

11pm UK time / 3 PM PT / 6 PM ET

Who else is watching it live? 😁

21 minutes ago, Toymafia88 said:

11pm UK time / 3 PM PT / 6 PM ET

Who else is watching it live? 😁

Wouldn't that be 7 AM UK time?!

Well, if I skip work for the first hour or so ...

... yeahhhhhhh I'll be watching it live.

Damn it, my time zone calculation skills have taken a nose dive since Telltale times.

Now I think it would actually be midnight UK time.

Edited by Vainamoinen

If it's any consolation, I'd actually love to know as much about it as you do. I'm one of those people who plugs their ears and goes "LALALALALALALALALA" during trailers for movies I want to see. Seeing the development process is neat. But the downside is that I haven't been able to just experience a Monkey Island game as it's meant to be experienced since MI2.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dmnkly said:

If it's any consolation, I'd actually love to know as much about it as you do. I'm one of those people who plugs their ears and goes "LALALALALALALALALA" during trailers for movies I want to see. Seeing the development process is neat. But the downside is that I haven't been able to just experience a Monkey Island game as it's meant to be experienced since MI2.

Do you find you get self-analytical when you play the games and hear your voice work back? Or is it easy for you to compartmentalise that in your head and just hear the voice as guybrush?

Hi Dom! 

I get super wary over spoilers as well, especially given my mild social media addiction, it can be a minefield out there whenever something new drops.

As much as I have always wanted to work on a Monkey Island myself in some capacity(I would take any oppertunity in a heartbeat), I know I would be trading off that feeling of experiencing the story for the first time as a fan. It would be a hard choice on something like this especially with Ron back. Thank you for making that hard choice and coming back as our definitive voice of Guybrush 😀

I've always been confused about one joke in Curse, amd I was wondering if you guys could clarify it for me. On Skull Island, you can say "that diamond belongs in a museum!" to which King Andre responds "so do post impressionist paintings". Guybrush is confused and King Andre assures him that "one day, you will understand". What's the joke here? In Last Crusade, the response to "it belongs in a museum" is "so do you" so my best guess is that he's calling Guybrush a post impressionist painting. Would you describe Curse's artstyle (of the characters at least, if not the backgrounds) as post-impressionist?

21 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I've always been confused about one joke in Curse, amd I was wondering if you guys could clarify it for me. On Skull Island, you can say "that diamond belongs in a museum!" to which King Andre responds "so do post impressionist paintings". Guybrush is confused and King Andre assures him that "one day, you will understand". What's the joke here? In Last Crusade, the response to "it belongs in a museum" is "so do you" so my best guess is that he's calling Guybrush a post impressionist painting. Would you describe Curse's artstyle (of the characters at least, if not the backgrounds) as post-impressionist?

Guybrush
The diamond belongs in a museum!

King Andre
So do post-impressionist paintings, Mr Threepwood. So do post-impressionist paintings.

Guybrush
What the heck is that supposed to mean?

King Andre
Some day you will understand.

I think the joke is nothing more King Andre thinking he's saying something smart and clever, but actually he's not. Kind of like a really terrible bond villain. That was always how I took it, anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

Do you find you get self-analytical when you play the games and hear your voice work back? Or is it easy for you to compartmentalise that in your head and just hear the voice as guybrush?

Ehhhhhh, in my head, he and I are... kinda the same at this point? 😄

What's funny is sometimes I've preemptively read Guybrush lines in my head that I recorded years and years ago, and they come out the EXACT. SAME. WAY.

1 hour ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Y'know, I don't remember. Better question for Larry or Jonathan, who have been pretty active on Twitter lately. My best guess is just that post-impressionism didn't exist until the late 19th century, so he's talking about an art style that hasn't been invented yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1