Home

Groovy got in a car wreck...

Darth Groovy

Yep, wrecked the car on the way home from my crappy job, in my crappy car.

Slammed into someone at a stoplight. Not hard, but just enough to mess up the front of my crappy car. Since I rear ended the guy, and being a guy... got a ticket for it. My car was towed away, and now I am driving a Chevy Impala, waiting for the adjuster to look at my vehicle. School starts Monday, this could not have happened at a worse time. The cop took pity on me because I was in uniform and he said he used to be a securtity guard too. He seems to think I fell asleep at the wheel, but I don't recall falling asleep, I just remember the guy stopping very sudden, and me not stopping fast enough, hell, maybe I did fall asleep. All I know is that I am screwed. I was hoping to get rid of this crappy 98 Saturn SC2, and get a new Nissan Sentra. This is definitely a set back. I need humor, prayors, and lots of good luck. One thing for sure, if I DID fall asleep, I am leaving this job and getting off working nights if it is the last thing I do. I have a lead with some openings working with handicapped people. This job would only be an 8 hour shift, opposed to the current 12 hour shift I work, and would involve more money, and better benefits. I guess this accident is a signal for some changes in my lifestyle. Wish me luck.

Thanks in advance,

Grooves

Originally posted by InsaneSith

well if it makes you feel any better i fell asleep while walking down the hall at school yesterday and i walked right into the brick wall then fell down. it hurt my nose.:(

I could have handled that, and sounds like something I would have done anyways...:(

i went to school high yesterday and had no idea where i was.

(i'm just trying to find something that will tickle your funny bone) i don't like when you're sad, when you're sad, I'm sad. when i'm sad, other things are sad. and we all end up sad......

and then i get run over by a man driving a volvo, to pick up a hooker.

my death is going to suck.:(

Driver in bike crash blames water in eyes Police suspect a medical or mechanical problem after 14

riders were injured. Test results are expected in six to 10 days.

By ADRIENNE LU, Times Staff Writer

© St. Petersburg Times published July 8, 2003

ST. PETERSBURG - Joseph D. Pastore says he was on the way to visit his mother Sunday, his driver's

window down.

Eastbound on 30th Avenue N, Pastore said, he suddenly felt water splashing into his eyes. He lowered

his head and tried to clear his eyes.

The next thing he knew, Pastore said, his car was barreling into a pack of 25 bicyclists.

"I'm keeping them all in my prayers and hope that they recover," Pastore said of the victims, eight

of whom remained hospitalized Monday. "That's all I can do right now."

James Ryder Sr., one of the cyclists in the pack, disputes that account.

He said that when he approached Pastore's car immediately after the accident, the windows were

rolled up. Ryder, admittedly upset, said he demanded to know what happened.

He said that Pastore responded: " "It's just an accident, give me a break,' or something like that."

On Monday, police investigators trying to sort these and other accounts said it appears the accident

was the result of mechanical malfunction, a medical incident or some type of impairment. They

dismissed earlier accounts that the accident occurred as Pastore tried to pass another car near 30th

Avenue N and 53rd Street.

"If anything, we're looking into the possibility that he might be impaired by prescription

medication," said Officer Mike Jockers, the traffic homicide investigator for the St. Petersburg

police department.

No charges were filed Monday in the crash that injured 14 bicyclists. Police submitted two blood

samples to the medical examiner's office. Results should be available in six to 10 days.

Officers interviewed Pastore, 60, after the crash, but they declined Monday to discuss what he

told them.

"He doesn't recall much about the crash," Jockers said.

Pastore, reached Monday at his Pinellas Park home on a quiet street overlooking a horse pasture,

said he was "truly very, very sorry that it happened."

Pastore said he did not feel guilty because he did not think he was at fault.

"I'm not saying anything about remorse or guilt. I don't feel any remorse or guilt," he said. "I'm

at peace with myself. . . . I know this was an accident."

But Ryder, the cyclist, said that after the accident Pastore displayed no sorrow.

"If I had just run over 15 people, I would be crying," said Ryder, 49, of Redington Beach. "He had

no emotions whatsoever."

Further, Ryder said, none of the other cyclists could have squirted Pastore with water.

"I looked at the guy face-to-face, I didn't see any water on him or on his shirt," Ryder said.

A woman driving in front of Pastore saw the accident and contacted police Monday. She told police

she heard a noise, thinking something was wrong with her car, and looked in her rearview mirror.

"All she saw was bicycles and bodies flying in the air," Jockers said.

Among the critically injured Sunday were David Arnold, 48, of St. Petersburg and Wendy Tocha, 26, of

New York. They were in fair condition Monday.

Arnold, a computer support technician for St. Petersburg College, has been cycling or racing most of

his life. He recalls passing people in the pack Sunday on his 2002 LeMond Buenos Aires and saying

hello to people.

"I don't know what made me look - probably the sound of a car, but I looked to the left and had half

a second to process, "I'm going to get hit by a car,' " Arnold said during an interview from

Bayfront Medical Center.

Arnold hit the windshield and tumbled over the car and into a driveway. His left leg sustained a

shattered thighbone and compound fractures.

"My outside knee was shattered and had car parts in it," he said. The back of his leg, from his knee

to lower calf, is missing skin and muscle. Arnold may need surgery and skin grafts.

Kip Vosburgh, 56, of Treasure Island, had his left ankle, left arm, right leg and right hip broken.

He said the cyclists were about 4 miles into their bike ride when the accident happened.

Vosburgh, among those at Bayfront Medical Center on Monday, said he was riding in the back part of

the group at 15 to 18 mph.

"All of a sudden, the group opened up in front of me," Vosburgh said. By the time he saw Pastore's

car, it was too late. Car and cyclist collided head-on, said Vosburgh, who is retired from a

marketing job with IBM.

"He came plowing through . . . ," Vosburgh recalled. "The impact of the car hit me."

Pastore said he had told his version of the events to several different authorities.

"You can get it from them. The story's the same. I don't need to put myself out there to defend not

being guilty. What other people think is none of my business."

Pastore, cited for an improper lane change last November, said he was not under the influence of

alcohol or drugs at the time of Sunday's accident. He said he has been sober 19 years.

Pastore has diabetes, he said, and confirmed passing out in his parked car on Friday because of low

blood sugar, as neighbors have reported.

But he said that he did not sense any medical problems when the accident happened Sunday. St.

Petersburg Police Department spokesman George Kajtsa said preliminary tests indicated Pastore's

blood-sugar level was normal at the time of the accident.

Pastore moved from San Diego to Florida several years ago with his wife, Irene Anne, who

died Dec. 22.

"I'm not a churchgoing person but I believe in God. I think some things have to be left alone,"

Pastore said. He talked about the pain of losing his wife of 28 years.

"Everything that's happened to me in that last six months has been permanent. It hurts. That's all

I'm saying," Pastore said.

"I can't be responsible for other people's lives. I don't have the power to do that. Life is not

always fair, but it is what it

is."

- Times staff writer Leanora Minai and researcher Kitty Bennett contributed to this report.

At least you didn't do what this shmuck did, Groovy :) Good luck with the car issue =/

Here goes...

This guy walks into a bar and his buddy ducks

A baby seal walks into a club (heh heh)

I showed a friend of mine a created wrestler on one of my wrestling games (go figure). When he seen him, he busted down laughing and fell out of his chair, busted his face on the corner of my chair (all wood AND it has a hellofa sharp corner where he hit). My friend is dumb.

I went to school high as hell and my teacher was like 'Are you high?' and I responded...I don't remember. But I know it was funny.

i once had an accident too .. i wanted to turn left and crashed into an oncoming car from the other side .. nothing happend to me but i totally wrecked the car (the right front axis was broken) .. the best thing on it .. i was too slow .. too slow to get far enough into the oncoming traffic .. so i missed this 30 ton truck ..

:rolleyes:

phhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww..

dont worry about the car .. be happy that you are ok and still are able to go to scool on monday!!!

;)

:eek:

Groovy, I was thinking about something funny to cheer you up, but I'll just tell ya this.

Anyone from the IRC channel #echonet will know of my endevors awhile ago to terminate my old, decrepid, and malfunctioning PDA. It was a Palm m105, and somebody in my family dropped it on concrete. Everyone covered each other, so I never knew who did it, and it wouldn't get replaced until it wouldn't turn on again.

Well, I finally killed it, and my parents said they'll pay for a new one. But the funny part of the story is just a few minutes ago, my dad dropped his 4 year old Palm IIIx. Screen cracked, and it's dead. And you know what I heard from downstairs?

"That's exactly what you did to Ryan's [read: Jed's] palm pilot!"

:D

Bleh. It's always car-wreck season.

I spose that's a point I forgot about. Be glad you're still alive. I know a guy (over in Europe) who got in an accident just the other day. Messed up his sholder real good. Depending on how his surgery went the other day, he just might lose all ability to use one of his hands...

Another person I know narrowly avoided an accident herself. At the gas station she switched seats. They they were broadsided by a truck. The tire was IN the seat she had been sitting in. Cops told her she probably would have died if she had been sitting there.

Cars are just so dangerous =/

Bleh. Well, Groovy's still around, so no despair!

Originally posted by KBell

My mom told me once that when i was 3 or 4 years old, she got in a huge Car crash and that i was luckey to be alive....so i gues im luckey to be alive today.....kinda makes me think though....

Really? same here.

Well, I'm really glad your OK Groovy. Too bad about the car though.... Good Luck. :(

sorry to hear about this, but cliche as it sounds, you and the other driver are okay. a crappy car or job can be replaced, and they are a minor inconvience, but being seriously injured in a crash is an entire life altering situation. (like i said maybe this sounds lame, but I am glad you are still in one piece.)

Hey, what year is that Impala? I've got a friend at work who drives this green Impala, and it's a 1971 or somewhere around that year. That car is badass.

Heck, I almost got in a wreck yesterday. Almost. I was in this parking lot in front of El Pollo Loco on my way there for some dinner and I'm turning the corner and lining up for this spot with some nice shade and this lady rounds the corner like a bat out of hell. She was going at least 25mph, in the parking lot, and came *this* close to hitting her front-end right on my door. She slammed her brakes, and I gassed it because I sure as hell wasn't going to slam my brakes to stop right in front of her. It turned out alright though, nobody got hit (i.e. me). But the dumb lady didn't learn her lesson. She took right off again and sped on through like a bat out of hell. I just hope she didn't catch anyone else unawares and slam right into them. She might deserve it, but the other guy won't.

Hey Groovy! Dont worry. Maybe your car will be a total and they will pay you what your car is worth and you can go buy that car you wanted!!!

hey - I don't know if you remember my story of hitting a fricken scoop bucket on the freeway. Some idiot dropped it on the freeway and ME being ON GRAVEYARD too...Didn't react fast enough. I hit it - totalled my car. Now I drive an AWESOME car and made lots of money on the settlement.

I know...this is totally different but things always happen for a reason...I got a WAY better car and then now I have the baby. I dont have to drive a junker with my baby in tow. I have a nice safe one now.

Things happen for a reason. You'll be okay - glad to see that you were not hurt.

Look on the bright side Groovy. At least you are still alive.

I always say everything happens for a reason. I bet you any money that a chain of events will now ensue that will lead to a great deal of happiness for you. ;)

Originally posted by STTCT

Hey Groovy! Dont worry. Maybe your car will be a total and they will pay you what your car is worth and you can go buy that car you wanted!!!

hey - I don't know if you remember my story of hitting a fricken scoop bucket on the freeway. Some idiot dropped it on the freeway and ME being ON GRAVEYARD too...Didn't react fast enough. I hit it - totalled my car. Now I drive an AWESOME car and made lots of money on the settlement.

I know...this is totally different but things always happen for a reason...I got a WAY better car and then now I have the baby. I dont have to drive a junker with my baby in tow. I have a nice safe one now.

Things happen for a reason. You'll be okay - glad to see that you were not hurt.

Part of me wants it to be totalled, because I really am tired of that car. Only problem is, that I am getting kicked out of the house, so I have to figure out how to come up with rent. Maybe my mother will change her mind, but I doubt it. I tell you, I am drowning in my own stress right now.

Anyways, If I do get a new car, this is what I want:

sentra1.gif

Archived