Home

US Dispatching 18 Robo-Soldiers to Iraq

CaptainRAVE

According to yahoo.... http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&ncid=738&e=1&u=/ap/20050122/...

The US Army is preparing 18 Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection Systems (SWORDs) units to go to Iraq sometime in March and April. The units are robotic vehicles which act as sharpshooters. They are remotely controlled.

The vehicles come equipped with cameras which allow humans to select targets to fire upon. The vehicles will not fire until a human selects the target and presses a button. The robots are three feet high and carry standard issue M249 or M240 weapons.

So far Talon robots have been used by the US military to defuse roadside bombs. The company behind the project is converting Talons into SWORDs. They can run sometime between 1-4 hours on their lithium ion batteries.

I immediately see two problems:

1. Jamming... Unless the controlling soldier is pretty conservative about firing this thing, it's going to get gunked up and jam pretty quickly. With no one to clear the jam, the weapon is useless.

2. This might work going down a road or something like that, but not in the middle of a city. Someone could just run out behind it, disable it, and get themselves a free SAW or 240G with a bunch of ammo.

I'm sure they've forseen these and found solutions already...

With the batterylife of only 1-4 hours. I dont see how they could even leave them unattended very long....maybe their kind of like turrets we see in alot of computer games, just turrets for sniping.

Originally posted by Nalukai

sWORD= SKYNET.... FEAR!!!!!!!!!

Yes fear skynet and their large bandwidth fees... Ah I need another internet provider...

Yes yes, terminator. I know, seen em all

2. This might work going down a road or something like that, but not in the middle of a city. Someone could just run out behind it, disable it, and get themselves a free SAW or 240G with a bunch of ammo.

Exactly, they're support units for a team and can't be used solo.

While this may seem a lot like terminator etc, as long as robots can't think/act on their own on a high level then it's nowhere near there.

Wise to let such a robot clear rooms, save lives of your own army and add more to mission success.

Originally posted by IG-64

They're remote controlled, no minds yet. :p

Yeah. AIs aren't terribly developed yet. But it's nice they have a body waiting once they become developed enough. A body that has been designed to kill humans efficiently. :p

knew about it.

well, i would think they wouldn't send just 1 out there alone, a group of 3 would be very effective... more damage would be done to the enemy before they could attempt a capture. *imagines enemy terrorist laso'ing one of them* they most-likely have a self-destruct mode on them.

as for weapon jamming, yeah, but as accurate as they are, it's probably worth the risk. the other risk of course, would be the batteries running out.

Archived