Home

Gift idea for 26 year old Guy

Surfnshannon

So, I'm racking my brain on what to get my husband for his birthday again. I figure a forum full of guys might have some insight.

He's turning 26. I've been trying to think of some cool things to get him. I am willing to spend about$200.

Now - we have a PS2 (and he's not keen on getting any new systems) so maybe a game for that.

A game for the computer?

Any ideas?

He's in retail as an executive. He works a lot. We just had his truck stolen and I can't afford to buy him a new one. He likes to watch war movies (though he probably owns all of them) and he likes war video games. We own Call of duty, Medal of Honor and just recently Star Wars Battlegrounds. We have a jetski that we take out in the summer. He hates to read. We just bought a new house that is a fixer upper. Our spare time is spent on that. He likes to BBQ (he has a real nice one). He makes his own beer. I thought about buying him his own fridge to keep it in as its taking up my fridge. Though some of the wine/beer fridges are around $300. He likes cars and racing. Country Music and some rap. He likes Star Wars just like me - but he doesn't want any spoilers.

Star Wars Wine Refridgerator (not serious)

Saving Private Ryan (good war movie)

Star Wars Trilogy on DvD

Cool new computer

Star Wars Podracing?

Gran Turismo 4

A foot masager (for those hard work days)

A bike?

A vacation?

Ill have more ideas later, im tired and my brain isn't working well.

He likes war games and movies, eh? Sounds like Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 might be a good pick. it's available for both the PS2 and the PC. I got the game a few weeks ago for my Xbox and I've been hooked ever since.

I have to warn you though that BiA isn't the type of game you would want to play if small children are present or if you have company over. The game's goal is to try to capture the brutal reality of war, and it doesn't pull any punches. Your squadmates (and sometimes your character) curse and swear up a blue streak, with the "f-word" thrown in from time to time. There are also a few gory scenes of soldiers mangled and blown open by artillery or an airstrike.

It's also not a "mow down hundreds of Nazis as an Allied super soldier" game like most other WWII games are. Your character can only take a few hits before he's down. Fortunately, you have a small group of buddies you can command to help you out. In short, BiA is a more of an intellectual WWII shooter. It has a great story and genuinely likeable characters that you'll end up treating like family. It's also a blast to play.

EDIT: Dangit Rhett, you beat me to it. I really have to learn to write smaller posts. :p

He likes to BBQ (he has a real nice one)

He's probably always in need of a grill scraper like I am (filler gift). Also The Barbecue Bible is a great book to have on hand. He probably already has some nice tongs and spatulas to go with his grill. But does have hickory or apple chips to add to the fire?

I'd also stick with the idea of a fridge if you can afford one. If nothing else -- having a small one (circa $100) out by the barbecue for his bottled creations would help him enjoy barbecuing for you.

Originally posted by STTCT

Well I'm winning on ebay the Band of Brothers box set - with only 10 or so min left - lets hope the snipers don't beat me. My bid is at 42 dollars.

Speaking of 42, I think that the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be a great gift if your husband likes sci-fi at all.

But for Band of Brothers, it is one of the best war shows I've seen. Rather sad, though. :(

Well if you never want to see him again, get him Half Life 2. Seriously, I have played all the war video games as well, and HL2 is just the most fun I have had with a FPS since Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2.

As of late though, I have been dangerously addicted to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It's just too much fun to adequately describe. The first game blew me away, the second was good, but had me missing the closed in indoor environments of the first one. Now this one takes you back to the roots of the series. You're infiltrating big buildings, hacking computers, and generally sneaking and spying around. And I don't know how, but the addition of one item (Sam's shiny new knife) has made the game twice as much fun.

There's just a certain sadistic sort of glee you get from sneaking up beside a guy and cutting his throat without him ever knowing you're there. I find myself saving the game before I kill a guy just to do it in the many different ways available.

So, if your hubby likes video games at all, and you can spend $200, then you probably still have enough for Private Ryan and Brothers in arms, Even if you get HL2 and Splinter Cell 3 as well.

Both of those are the best games I have played in a while.

Another good game is Knights of the Old Republic 2 since he's a SW geek like the rest of us.

Hope that helps.

[edit] I've only played the PC versions of all these, so if available otherwise, I don't know how they are.

wow. STTCT, I thought you were older :p (dont get mad !) Now I feel old :(

many of the above suggestions are on the money. If he is a man that loves gadgets I'd get him a pocket pc/palm pilot. Theyre like a pc/handheld gaming machine/mp3 player/portable movie player/portable internet etc all in one :D

me and my gf dont mess around. Theres plenty of strategic hint dropping near bday time. The surprise stuff is arranging a special nite out at a swanky hotel/bed n breakfast :)

mtfbwya

Since he's turning 26 he might be too young for this, but I just got Lego Star Wars for my birthday - it is available on PS2 as well as PC (& XBox).

I'm still in the area that is covered by the demo, but it is obviously they have improved some of the graphics and other interactions since the demo build.

You can play all 3 prequels, so if you enter the 'III' door you can be sure that spoilers will about ... so just don't ;)

Mike

If he's into gadgets then i'd have said an mp3 player or anything they mention on http://www.gizmodo.com/ (but then i'm kind of gadget obsessed. )

You can get mini beer fridges for around £30 ($50?) in the uk that hold 6-8 bottles or cans. Or larger glass fronted ones for around £100.

I wouldn't say no to a band of brothers box set, so good luck with winning on that.

Star wars related:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsforhim/712c/

pvp_hanshotfirst.jpg

Is that a spoiler? :D

Digital camera?

Those are all great ideas!

I did win the Band of Brothers box set on ebay for $50.00 with shipping (on amazon it was $89.99) so good deal :) . I also ordered Clone Wars DVD volume 1. I figure that can be from my son ;). We have only seen a couple episodes when I had Hyperspace. I also ordered him the BBQ Bible sauces book and another called Beer Chicken.

He has Saving Private Ryan special edition and that is such a sad movie :( . That camera looks really cool! I think I will get him maybe a $30.00 game - probably Brother in Arms for PC. That way if they ever come out with an expansion.

All very good picks. The other stuff that was named he owns - except for Knights 2 (we haven't finished the first one) and that Han T-shirt :) . We own The Trilogy DVD set (like the first day of course) and we have the Indiana Jones set. Whoever doesn't have that needs to get it - what a great set.

:)

Archived