Home

Who Likes Anime?

Aash Li

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
now now, its not as if I linked to such pages! :p

C.C. and Karin... Karin... oh you mean Kallen... dunno why everyone keeps translating her name that way (kallen). >_>

my bad, I keep forgetting how to spell it since is sounds like they say karin >.>

Well, to be fair femail oriented comics always have the weirdest relationships. Think Clamp. There are others that are even more WTF when it comes to it. And no, I am talking about regular-isque series, nothing Hentai.

Not saying I only prefer series with lots of dismembered bodyparts, but sometimes more guyish comic have more "life like" relationships, despite most characters being a bunch of horn dogs.

Sweeeeeet.

New movies rock.

Plot summary

When an artifact known as the "King's Seal" is stolen during transport from Soul Society, Tōshirō Hitsugaya is assigned to retrieve it. Tōshirō goes missing after a battle with the thieves, leading Seireitei to suspect him of treachery. They order his immediate capture and execution. Unwilling to believe him capable of such a crime, Ichigo Kurosaki, Rangiku Matsumoto, Rukia Kuchiki, and Renji Abarai set out to find Tōshirō and clear his name.

Meanwhile, Tōshirō is still searching for the thieves, and stumbles upon a dark secret involving a shinigami long since dead.

I think my parents think I'm a weirdo for watching anime. :p

I think Cartoon Network does kid-friendly versions of shows like Naruto and Dragonball Z, and obviously Pokemon. I'm not really sure though, most of what I watch wouldn't be good for young kids.

Can you all give me suggestions on some that would be appropriate for a 10 year old?

Doraemon - always among the first anime to be suggested when dealing with wee ones. I haven't seen it myself, but it seems fairly fun and age-appropriate.

Azumanga Daioh - Probably the one I can recommend the most, since it happens to be one of my all-time favorite series. Light-hearted and hilariously entertaining, it's a show you can pick up anywhere and have a smile on your face when the episode is finished. Some episodes are a little slow and a few cultural references might go over the wee one's heads, but on the whole, Azumanga Daioh is an excellent starting series.

Ouran High School Host Club - One of my absolute favorite anime in recent times, it follows a host (pun oh so intended) of charming pretty boys at an affluent secondary school. Charming, with no questionable content, this is definitely something to watch, even if you aren't an anime fan. The only thing iffy might be its availability here in the US; it was only recent licensed by FUNimation, as such, the DVDs are coming out in 2008.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but right now I'm at work and my brain is fried. >_<

Can you all give me suggestions on some that would be appropriate for a 10 year old?

for a 10 year old I'd have to recommend some Kid freindly series like the following.

Pokemon

dragonball

Digimon

Beyblade

Voltron

they are all pretty much geared towards kids of that age

I think my parents think I'm a weirdo for watching anime. :p

Mine do think that.

though they have an entirely wrong consept of what anime is all about.

according to my mom and dad, ALL anime is about who can beat up who the most.

I'd prove them wrong but encoding all the series I've Dl'ed onto DVD's is annoying >.>

Thing is though, few kiddie anime are translated. And obviously getting the kids to read subtitles are a no-no.

Yes, Dragonball is a nice start though, for most of the time(Drastically different from Dragonball Z incase you wonder, when it comes to this fun Prequel) Speaking of which, Dr. Slum.

At this age there are usually some mecha cartoons for boys, usually consists of a bunch of boys piloting various vehicles, basic transformations and such. For girls though, there is like 689770990 clones of magical girls out there.

Ojamajo Doremi

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1190

Cute Magical Girl series, with quite a few seasons. Some cute healthy fun.

Yes heaven forbid we make our children read... >_>

I had a hell of a time convincing my 18 year old brother to try subbed series.

I'm to the point where I actually perfer subs over dubs.

Kannazuki No Miko is the only recent series I've watched dubbed, but that is cuz I like Himeko's english voice a lot

As a rule I tend to watch subs, but it really comes down to the quality (or more closely, aesthetic feel for me) of the sub to determine whether it is my "go to" for the show or not. Things like GITS, Macross Plus, Patlabor films, Cowboy Bebop and some others I usually watch the sub. Samurai Champloo, Macross TV and Zero (obviously in that case) I usually watch the subs...

I'm to the point where I actually perfer subs over dubs.

Ihave to agree with you. Dubs make the characters voice semm so different and sometimes dull compared to the originak Japanese voices. I rather go sub than dub!

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!! :cowdance

You've got post 666, so I had to change that!!

But, the little anime I watch I prefer English audio. I just don't like to hear a language I don't understand. And subtitles tends to draw my attention more than actual movie.

If thats what you prefer then have at it, but translators I think usually do a better job with the subs than the english VAs do. With the subs, you still get the Japanese voices saying their parts with the correct intonations and emotions. I think English VAs just half-ass it sometimes because when Ive watched a show in English and then gone to watch the show in Japanese... it just sounds off. Especially when they get someone totally wrong for the part. Such as Rukia in Bleach, her English VA is sooooooo off for her compared to her original. And theres whatshisname the boy in Eureka 7... *shudders* that gave me nightmares... He sounded like he should be doing Afterschool Specials or a remake of Leave it to Beaver. >_<

Another thing I like about Anime is that you can pick up the language a bit, though you have to becareful with some of them because some of the characters talk like Yakuza. lol

Well I dont know about all of them ruining anime. I do like some anime in english. Though I think Id end up liking the Japanese better if I heard them. I started watching anime (again) on my own for the first time with Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, and a few others. I liked those in English quite well. Samurai Champloo was pretty good in English as well, Fuu has a cute voice. ;)

I think in general I prefer subs but I'll watch dubs when they're on like Adult Swim or something. I think I just like how the Japanese voice sounds better than the western equivalent. A lot I think depends on what I've seen first. I don't have the Haruhi dvds yet but her English voice sounds awful compared to the original Japanese, but thats probably because I'm so used to hearing the Japenese.

Maybe because Aya Hirano is Haruhi Suzumiya. Anyone else in that role just does not fit, because Hirano made it her own. I think it's the same thing for Yuko Goto and Mikuru, since the sugary sweetness of Goto's voice cannot possibly be emulated correctly in an English version.

If thats what you prefer then have at it, but translators I think usually do a better job with the subs than the english VAs do. With the subs, you still get the Japanese voices saying their parts with the correct intonations and emotions. I think English VAs just half-ass it sometimes because when Ive watched a show in English and then gone to watch the show in Japanese... it just sounds off. Especially when they get someone totally wrong for the part. Such as Rukia in Bleach, her English VA is sooooooo off for her compared to her original. And theres whatshisname the boy in Eureka 7... *shudders* that gave me nightmares... He sounded like he should be doing Afterschool Specials or a remake of Leave it to Beaver. >_<

Another thing I like about Anime is that you can pick up the language a bit, though you have to becareful with some of them because some of the characters talk like Yakuza. lol

Well I dont know about all of them ruining anime. I do like some anime in english. Though I think Id end up liking the Japanese better if I heard them. I started watching anime (again) on my own for the first time with Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, and a few others. I liked those in English quite well. Samurai Champloo was pretty good in English as well, Fuu has a cute voice. ;)

I totally agree that the English f' up anime, but watching it in Japanese would make it worse (for me) than watching the crappy English voice actors. I visited my family for awhile, and they're big Inyuasha fans, and they watched that show 24/7. My two cousins who loved that show, one watched it in English, the other in Japanese. I just prefer the English version since it makes it simpler.

And for the record, Cowboy Bebop kicks totally ass. It's a shame that show doesn't come on anymore (or if it does, I don't watch it). That show was my favorite anime of all time.

Archived