Home

PC Voices

Venom750

Personally, I'd prefer it if they kept the formula they have established for the entire series, plus I like to imagine how my character's voicing the lines, otherwise I'd hear it not in the way that I would have imagined my char. expressing it...

With the way it is - I can imagine myself playing out a role much more convinvingly, like I'm there, or that this char. really is a creation of my own, then hearing someone elses pre-recorded voice, no matter how much I may like it.

While imagining the voice was a good idea, I found myself mentally injecting Revan's voice from K1 into the exile's lines, which was troublesome. Maybe they could have something in the settings where you could activate or deactivate PC voices, depending on the player's preference.

Picking between a few soundsets might be a little too much, but it would still be neat, though it would pose as a continuity nightmare for SW historians. Yet another variable to deal with.

I don't know... I think I'd rather they keep it like it is.

I feel it is more personalized if I can imagine Revan/Exile/AnyNewPC's voice in my head rather than hearing some actor say the lines. I can put more of ME in my character if I am the one to give them a voice rather than some actor saying lines. To me, it would kind of change how I 'hear' them, and would seem less personalized. At least to me.

I think the silent PC is fine, besides after you've already read the character's dialogue choice there isn't much reason to have it spoken, it would just be taking up more time.

However I would like the PC's sound effects to return, ala KOTOR1. I really liked fem Revan's voice, like when she says "That had to hurt." or "Out of sight, out of mind."

However I would like the PC's sound effects to return, ala KOTOR1. I really liked fem Revan's voice, like when she says "That had to hurt." or "Out of sight, out of mind."

Word! It really cheesed me off that FEMME Exile (my game :D) had no voice. I played like that for the longest, until I figured out how to add her soundset (recycled Revan's voice from K1) back into the game.

And, no I did not port anything. I would have to find the thread, but someone wrote instructions on how to do it, and I did it, and it worked :D

Personally, I'd prefer it if they kept the formula they have established for the entire series, plus I like to imagine how my character's voicing the lines, otherwise I'd hear it not in the way that I would have imagined my char. expressing it...

With the way it is - I can imagine myself playing out a role much more convinvingly, like I'm there, or that this char. really is a creation of my own, then hearing someone elses pre-recorded voice, no matter how much I may like it.

Well my arguments allready been stated. I spose you would'nt like it back in the day when no one spoke in games, or back even farther when you had text adventures with (quite rare)little or no pictures.

If you gave the PC a voice, (IMO) it would take quite a bit away from the individuality we've associated with our character.

As we would play, we would slowly lose the personal connection we've established with the PC of this series. It wouldn't feel like KotOR anymore and we'd be trying to figure out why.

That being said, I like Skye's idea to at least give the player the option. Maybe more people would play if they were given a choice of voices. (doubtful)

I would definately have mine disabled.

With all the voices in my head, I'll probably just pick one of those.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is considered thread resurrection, but I've just come to a conclusion on the subject.

The first time I read through this, I acquiessed to the theme that hearing a voice would be distancing. I've changed my mind.

Here's what I thought all along:

On the subject of repetitiveness, I don't think hearing the PC speak the line after you've read it is any more wasteful than watching the PC strike the blow or cast the force power you've already added to the que.

It's dumb (pardon the pun) for the PC to deliver all lines close-mouthed while nodding gently. Not as dumb as when you momentarily take control of Atton and HE does it in spite of the fact that Atton's voice is pretty much set in stone. I can't remember, when you take control of T3, can you hear the beeps or not? What about when you have some of the limited conversations while on the Dxun side quest? How would it distance you from, say, Visas (who I usually send as party leader) to hear her say the lines?

A voice for the PC would contribute to the movie-like flavor of the game.

As I said, I'd already gone through this thread, conceded the points of Cygnus Q'ol et al and settled into providing my own voice mentally. Then, recently, I tried a go through with a female PC. I used the Asian head and the asian underwear mod, which made Atton's early comments MUCH funnier. Trouble was, I'm an old guy with a gravelly voice. It was disruptive! I kept wanting to tell her to knock of the cigarettes!

So give us voices! allow for them to be disabled for cramped installs or personal taste, but give them over regardless.

And yes, I did hate the old silent, and particularly text-based games.

As I said, I'd already gone through this thread, conceded the points of Cygnus Q'ol et al and settled into providing my own voice mentally.

Maybe you should use your mentality and imagination a bit more :xp:. Im quite content on imagining my PC's voice. But as all games go there is always an improvement and PC voices wouldn't hurt.

I don't see the difference between reading the lines and clicking the action for the combat que. It's kind of like Kabuki theater, where you aren't supposed to see the guys in black. The text you read isn't real until the character says the line. Helps with immersion, I guess.

I do agree that, at some point, it'll get annoying, but the same can be said for ALL of the dialect in the game. By the 8th or 9th playthrough, I'm usually fast-clicking through EVERYthing.

Who knows, when playing a male PC I might even choose the "disable" switch, but I'd still prefer the option.

Trouble was, I'm an old guy with a gravelly voice. It was disruptive! I kept wanting to tell her to knock of the cigarettes!

Hmm, possibly it is just me but I have no problem thinking in a female voice for a female character in a game. Of course I'm a long time PnP RPG player so that 'gift' might have come with that. ;)

To me both ideas are good - I don't think the game is worse, if my character doesn't have a voice-over, but I also don't think it's worse, if the character has a voice-over.

With, or without the voice-over, I won't have any problems imagining I'm that character, or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't like the idea of you reading it then the character saying it, its repetative. i played psychonauts and it was like that but didn't have very much dialogue. i can't imagine how annoying it would be for a game like kotor which will most likley have LOTS of dilogue

i don't like the idea of you reading it then the character saying it, its repetative. i played psychonauts and it was like that but didn't have very much dialogue. i can't imagine how annoying it would be for a game like kotor which will most likley have LOTS of dilogue

Well, with game like Psychonauts or Monkey Island it's going to be a lot different. If they decided to have the PC read each of his/her lines, there's a good chance that most people will get awfully bored with the conversations in the game. And then you'd have people avoiding the dialogues, which would be problematic because the entire game is build around vocal interactions. All in all, it would be detrimental to the game's sales. The developers wouldn't want to take the chance.

Well, with game like Psychonauts or Monkey Island it's going to be a lot different. If they decided to have the PC read each of his/her lines, there's a good chance that most people will get awfully bored with the conversations in the game. And then you'd have people avoiding the dialogues, which would be problematic because the entire game is build around vocal interactions. All in all, it would be detrimental to the game's sales. The developers wouldn't want to take the chance.

The voice system worked out well in both KotOR games IMHO. I never had any trouble imagining Revan and the Exile's voices. And even if PC voices were included, that wouldn't work out well with the way all the dialogue is set up. Would the voicing lines play when you were highlighting a response, or after clicking a response would it show your character saying the line you chose? The first one would be annoying, and the second would make the dialogue get repetitive while still being annoying.

The voice system worked out well in both KotOR games IMHO. I never had any trouble imagining Revan and the Exile's voices. And even if PC voices were included, that wouldn't work out well with the way all the dialogue is set up. Would the voicing lines play when you were highlighting a response, or after clicking a response would it show your character saying the line you chose? The first one would be annoying, and the second would make the dialogue get repetitive while still being annoying.

Archived