Home

I Hate Technology

Mace MacLeod

Among the myriad other things I hate, I now also hate supposedly high-tech Irish manufacturing standards.

There I was, enjoying my Christmas presents and ignoring my hangover, leafing through the latest on LF, when suddenly *poof*. No response by keyboard, mouse, or pleading. Safe mode does diddly-squat, Windows remains nowhere to be found. Of course, it's Christmas Day, so absolutely nowhere is open anywhere that can begin to help me fix whatever went wrong. Everyone's on holiday. Next day, I wake up. Now the satellite tv box is dead. Both the computer and tv box are barely weeks out of warranty, and they fall one after the other at the single worst time to get service for either one. I was just waiting for the dvd player to explode and set all our books on fire.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!! :firemad::firemad::firemad:

So, fast forward a week later to the family being sick of all our dvds. Daily arm-wrestling matches for domination of the Gameboy rage throughout the house. Looking at shelling out for a new hard drive, OS reinstall and data recovery, and whatever the dickheads at Sky tv come up with if their techs ever show up before I die of old age. I hate technology.

I dont think there is much potential for discussion in this thread - the forums shouldnt really be used for your daily rant as far as I know... Heck If I posted everytime something messed up, It'd be spam city :(

ah well, I hope life has taken a calmer ebb for you since... :D

mtbwya

Well, let's make it a discussion then. :)

What frustrating experiences have you had with tech? Anything useful you learned from the experience?

What drives me crazy--the cost of cable. Poor video cards on laptops. I've learned to look at the video card specs as well as other stuff on computers as a result.

One time at work, my computer monitor kept going black. I checked the power cable first, but it was secure. I restarted and it worked for about five minutes, then went black again... It was driving me bonkers trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

I wound up restarting three or four times before it occurred to me to check the cable from the computer to the monitor. Turns out the cable was loose on the back of the monitor.

Moral of the story : Remember the first rule of troubleshooting is "make sure its plugged in," and that goes for all cables, not just power.

I probably could think of more run ins with technology, but thats the only one that made me feel kind of dumb when I realized what was wrong.

Lolz, well I've had plenty bad experiences with my computer. But I take it as a learning experience, in the end. You always have something to learn, if your computer gets screwed up. In fact, I find it very enjoyable if my computer gets screwed up and I have to fix it up myself, since I don't trust professional help, till it gets serious. :D

Lolz, well I've had plenty bad experiences with my computer. But I take it as a learning experience, in the end. You always have something to learn, if your computer gets screwed up. In fact, I find it very enjoyable if my computer gets screwed up and I have to fix it up myself, since I don't trust professional help, till it gets serious. :D

How can you enjoy life if your computer screws up? I certainly don't. Oh well, I guess we are all different.

Ok, first off before I even start I just wan to say that I am somewhat a modder so you can see how this would happen to me... and don't get me wrong this is still very frustrating as is every thing that happens that you cannot fix. I had an Xbox at one point (which now I have a 360 now so there are no worries) then I tried to softmod it and the softmod went well, it looked like everything was in order and was working but then I being very dumb tired to install linux on it and really screwed up. Now that is really funny but really frustrating as the Xbox still works... it is just giving me an "Error 21" which means I basically need a mod chip to fix what I have done. Now on to my next tech-trouble story. Now first off I am going to say this is totally not my fault as I was doing something the manufacturer reccommended. I had an hx2100 ipaq Pocket PC and one day I though I would upgrade the ROM in it as HP suggested. Now that is all fine and dandy when it works but somewhere along the rediculus span of instructions I screwed up and it uninstalled the ROM in the PPC and fried it. I was really kinda upset about it because I used my X-Mas money last year to buy it. I did get a new one this year but still that was very frustrating and very annoying.

I thought I had a virus a while ago. It was this stupid friggin' animated wallpaper I couldn't get rid of, and it made my computer lag like crazy. Eventually I got everything back to normal, but boy it gave me some trouble.

Poor video cards on laptops. I've learned to look at the video card specs as well as other stuff on computers as a result.

Try poor video cards on Desktops. I got stuck with an NVIDIA GeForce 4MX, which seems to be the one card a lot of games don't support. PC wasn't bought as a gaming platform (that would have been stupid even then--2004), but got fair amount of milage in that capacity anyhow. Also, received a Pioneer DVD burner as a gift, but that turned out to be a real turkey.

I thought I had a virus a while ago. It was this stupid friggin' animated wallpaper I couldn't get rid of, and it made my computer lag like crazy. Eventually I got everything back to normal, but boy it gave me some trouble.

If you think that is bad try getting some malware in your computer. I got totally hacked by some malware hijacking program on my other computer and I had to restore my computer to get rid of it. I have had the kind of problem you described though on one other computer and they too can be a real drag.

Try poor video cards on Desktops. I got stuck with an NVIDIA GeForce 4MX, which seems to be the one card a lot of games don't support. PC wasn't bought as a gaming platform (that would have been stupid even then--2004), but got fair amount of milage in that capacity anyhow. Also, received a Pioneer DVD burner as a gift, but that turned out to be a real turkey.

I actually have the same exact graphics card in my computer right now and although it is kinda old it works well for what I need it to do. I am actually thinking of upgrading to a Nvidia GeForce 6200 though just to get my computer up to speed with the new games and graphics.

I just swapped out four power supplies in a day. The problem wasn't on my side either. Because of my amazing luck I kept getting defective supplies even though I changed brands each time I went back for a different one.

It's a love/hate relationship I have with technology, for sure.

Technology is a blessing. If you were to take every bit of technology away from everyone and we go back to teh Stone Age, we'd be in deep poodoo. Because we are all specialized in one thing or another, we'd be ill equipped to survive like the surviving hunter gatherer groups.

I admit that I have had some bad days with technology. One was my old laptop when it suddenly konked out on me. I couldn't get nothing. I called Dell since my laptop was built by them and it turns out that I had to re install the entire Windows XP system. Some days the computer freezes on me, our home desktop runs super slow and yet, we, that is my family, are grateful that we have it.

Technology is a blessing. If you were to take every bit of technology away from everyone and we go back to teh Stone Age, we'd be in deep poodoo. Because we are all specialized in one thing or another, we'd be ill equipped to survive like the surviving hunter gatherer groups.

I admit that I have had some bad days with technology. One was my old laptop when it suddenly konked out on me. I couldn't get nothing. I called Dell since my laptop was built by them and it turns out that I had to re install the entire Windows XP system. Some days the computer freezes on me, our home desktop runs super slow and yet, we, that is my family, are grateful that we have it.

You know even though I do have my fallouts with technology I totally agree with you JediMaster12. We would be totally lost without tech and I think you make a very good point.;)

How can you enjoy life if your computer screws up? I certainly don't. Oh well, I guess we are all different.

Of course I don't enjoy life if my computer screws up. But there is always a strange excitement I get, a strange kick, as I try to find clues and solve the problem. Of course, I get really pissed off if it's something major.

You know even though I do have my fallouts with technology I totally agree with you JediMaster12. We would be totally lost without tech and I think you make a very good point.;)

I agree with both you and JM12. Without technology, we would (as SithRevan puts it) lost. But technology still annoys me when computers crash, etc. And Sabre, thanks for telling me what you mean.

Well, let's make it a discussion then. :)

What frustrating experiences have you had with tech? Anything useful you learned from the experience?

lucky for Macleod, Jae you are a wise woman :)

anwyay, come to the tech forum, we dont whine - we fix :)

@Jae - there are laptops that have (SLI)7950 GPUs in them...of course, they are more expensive than Queen Elizabeth II's Golden Monkey :( DIY gaming PC, with a case like the Thermaltake Lanbox or the shuttle mini pcs, its portable enough for gaming needs :) I just bought a shuttle case for a vista media center build Im completing - this teh sex(as far as cases go)

mtfbwya

Well the other day our computer connection went, which was odd, because the PC said we were still connected fine...We have a wireless connection, and my fiancée said:"Why don't you unplug that damn modem and plug it back in or something", I said:"nah, that'll never work, I'll call a help desk"

*Waits for half an hour to get to talk to someone*

*Talks to someone for half an hour, trying to figure out what's wrong, going from manually changing my IP address to rebooting my PC five times*

So after all that, the problem still isn't fixed, and our only option seems to make a wired connection first, which the lady on the phone suggested, and I was like:"Listen lady, why on earth do you think we have a WireLESS connection???"

My fiancée, in the meantime, decided to take matters into her own hands and unplug the damn wireless modem, and then plugs it back in...Jesus F. Christ it finally WORKS!!!

Me:"Sorry baby, you were right as usual" Her:"You better remember that fool!"

Moral of this story, never discard good advice!

I'm like Sabretooth, I enjoy fixing things when they don't work. And I really get pissed of if things don't work. Usually I work nonstop until they work again, and then I'm oh so proud.

Anyway I kinda hate the progress of PCs these days. My PC is probably 5 years old and I can't play modern games with settings on low-medium anymore. Well I reckon I will have to invest 1500€ or something and get a high end model... for the next 5 years. Damn expensive.

lucky for Macleod, Jae you are a wise woman :)

Every now and then I get an insightful moment. Offsets my idiot moments. :D

I thought it might be better than closing the thread. :)

@Jae - there are laptops that have (SLI)7950 GPUs in them...of course, they are more expensive than Queen Elizabeth II's Golden Monkey :( DIY gaming PC, with a case like the Thermaltake Lanbox or the shuttle mini pcs, its portable enough for gaming needs :) I just bought a shuttle case for a vista media center build Im completing - this teh sex(as far as cases go)

I'd have to have something small enough to go on a plane. I don't fly often, but when I do, the laptop comes with me (have to work on my Jolee story in flight, don't you know. :D ). Those storage bins aren't very big.

It would also have to be sturdy enough to survive getting moved around nearly every day at home, getting stuck in a bag to go to work with me several times a week, and be small enough to sit on my lap in bed. Besides the other obvious uses for a bed, I like to relax while typing away, and reclining in bed and putting my feet up is a good thing. :)

My comp runs really slow sometimes, it seems that having the browser open, chatting on msn and listening to music in media player is too much for it to take. Also my firewall screwed up the other day and decided to block every website I tried to view, I had to uninstall it and re-enable Norton Internet Security which I cant seem to remove from my computer

Archived