Home

The Best and Worst of the SW Cast

*Don*

Ok... Out of the entire 6 movies, who do you think gave the most powerful performance?

That is to say, whose acting really brought the character to life?

I think that Ian McDiarmid (for Palpatine) was the best performer and

Jake Lloyd (the little Anakin) was the worst.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sir Alec Guinness will always be the best one in my opinion. Even though he hated sci-fi and wasn't that fond of the Star Wars movies he was professional and executed his role perfectly.

The worst one is definitely Jake Lloyd. There's no depth in him, no way could you tell that this was the future Anakin. I saw no darkness in his eyes. Also, his dialogue was awful, I guess that didn't help the situation either. He also says the most irritating line in the entire PT.

"...Now THIS is Podracing!" *shrugs*

While the biggest loser is Hayden Christensen.

While I agree I am not sure how much is the fault of the director was giving direction to the actor/scripts written/ the fault of the actor.. I wasn't thrilled with Natalie Portman. However most of that I attribute to GL.

Frank Oz for bringing Yoda to life.

It has to be between Ian McDiarmid and Alec Guinness for best of the Star Wars cast; but I think an honourable mention is needed for Harrison Ford.

Worst; Anankin, that little thing and then Hayden Christianson were both awfull! Jar Jar, is the most horrible thing in the SW universe; Vader should of killed him in RotS.

Honorable mentions only for Harrison Ford? Come on! He gave the best performance in the OT. His lines weren't great (well, no one's was...) and he made everyone love him through sheer charisma. Who hates the scoundrel? No one sane I say! If it weren't for him, the romance between Han and Leïa would be as bad as the one between Anakin and Padmé.

Sir Alec Guiness is already a legend and frankly, he can do no bad.

Worst? I feel bad giving that to Jake Lloyd. I mean...he's just a kid...

I'm going to say Hayden Christensen for worst. He wasn't helped by the awful lines he was given to work with, but you never feel him being Vader or being really evil. In AotC, one could call him simple a teenager in a crisis and he just doesn't feel Vader-ish in RotS. The problem was that had he not turned into David Prowse/James Earl Jones, he probably wouldn't scare me at all...When he goes to the dark side, you know that's not Vader, doesn't feel like him. When you hear James Earl Jones' voice...then you know he's back and ready to choke people again.

Personally, I found Ian McDiarmid to be the best by far. No other actor has come close to his work.

As for worst? I was severely dissapointed by Natalie Portman, considering she had had much better performances in the past, although it's not always the actor's fault, of course.

well, if you had to look at the most difficult roles in the movie, then you have to look at the key characters: Anakin from the first three movies and Luke from the last three. Mark Hamill did an excellent job of really showing how Luke matured and progressed across the three films with his acting. yes, he had some annoying lines, but they seemed to fit the character especially with the delivery of the lines. so, i'd have to say that ol' Mark Hamill should definitely rank up there as one of the best actors from the movies.

as for Hayden Christenson, i think he gets a lot of bad rap that is for the most part unwarrented. the problem was with the script, and the prequels had some of the worst script writing i've seen in a very long time. a bad script makes it very difficult for the actor to really come across convinicingly, and Christenson didn't have a whole lot to work with. i can't say that its all related to ol' Lucas, though. he could've done a bit better with his delivery especially in the romantic scenes, and there were a number of lines that were delivered with a bit of melodrama. overall, he does rank rather poorly, but we shouldn't attribute everything as being his fault.

overall, however, i was very impressed with Ewan McGregor and Harrison Ford. both of them really made their characters come to life, especially Harrison Ford with Han Solo. i really can't choose between the two as they both made their characters extremely interesting to watch and listen to.

^ I agree with stinger. I just watched all six episodes from 1 to 6 recently, and Hayden Christensen integrated some element in his playing that you can 'later' find in his 'son', Luke. :thumbsup:

The funniest thing (just to make a difference) still is Leia's bagel hairdo. :D

Best: I agree with many of the ones stated above including James Earl Jones, Ewan Mcgregor, and Ian McDiarmid.

Worst: Natalie Portman gets a vote for sure and whoever decided to write Anakin's lines to make him sound like a whiny little punk. I haven't read the books so I don't know if he comes across the same way there, but to me I thought the scripting was terrible and as is mentioned above didn't really give Hayden Christensen a whole lot to work with.

"Cardboard" Portman... xD

I liked Ewan Macgregor, Ian Mcdarmid, Harrison Ford and Alec Guiness for pretty much the reasons already stated, and though i didn't like Christensen in Ep II i thought he was much better in RotS.

Don't like Jake Lloyd or Little Boba though... Damn kids.

I agree with the most posts above about the main big characters .

Of the little roles I hate Mace Windu the most , I can't believe how flat and lame the character comes across . Samuel Jackson did so many other great roles in movies , I can't believe he couldn't bring this character better .

Though the Jedi Counsel doesn't say much , Mace destroys that "image" of all knowing and wise Jedi with dumb lines .

Though that's I guess the script again .

And I believe the bad cutting / editing is pain to .

Anyway its SW so I still like it , who ever delivers the lines :lol:

Frank Oz is definitely the best. Without his voice, Yoda just wouldn't be Yoda.

Hayden Christensen is by far the worst actor on the planet. The guy says every line with the same monotonous tone of voice, like he's bored with his role of Anakin. On the other hand, I think Jake Lloyd was not as bad as people here think. I mean, what were you expecting?? He was supposed to act like a kid and he did. You can't expect from kid-Anakin to be serious, or whatever you were expecting from him. He was just a kid back then and acted as such, which Lloyd portrayed efficiently.

Archived