Home

[K1] Sleheyron Restoration

Sithspecter

I could write an NWMax add-on (or a stand-alone Max script) which spits out the lightmap tverts and writes them to an appropriate ascii file, from which KAurora could fetch them. The problem is that I don't know how to create lightmaps with Max, and I need to do it myself (I can't use a pre-generated one as I need to test and debug the script while the lightmap is being generated, not after it has been done).

To create lightmaps, you have to look in the menu list of Rendering.

Somewhere in the middle stands : Render to Texture.

This gives you a new Palette. There you can add all the 3D-objects, then choose what needs to be rendered => Lightmap is one of the many maps you can render.

You can set differant sizes and qualitys.

Its fairly easy to setup.

Once you hit Render, Max uses the UVW-map applied to the object, this the one the other normal texture uses aswell.

The only problem I see, is that most of my areas for now are made of many objects... which gives many lightmaps...

I guess I need to start to model differant. So that each Room just has a few lightmaps.

I've used this site as a guide :

http://fordy.planetunreal.gamespy.com/gradientssmeshtutorials/contents.html

Its for Unreal Tournament 2003 and it uses 3D Max 5 (it looks differant) but it got me started.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... This is all a bit complicated, but I'll work on it some more. I'm still mainly focused on the the physical aspects of my models. BTW, Q, I looked at all your concept art and renderings for Team Jawa, and they are totally awesome! I'm trying to make my models a lot better now, and to incorporate aspects of yours, such as the trains and such... I am also going to use your idea of the two transports crashing and the drivers arguing.

Hmm... This is all a bit complicated, but I'll work on it some more. I'm still mainly focused on the the physical aspects of my models.

Don't worry SS, those kind of things are best tested in small box like areas.

To find out how it works and how to best apply it.

I don't want you to scr*w up your nice looking model. Happened to me once...

made me remember the first warning you get with modelling: SAVE LOTS OF TIMES AND LOTS OF VERSIONS.

BTW, Q, I looked at all your concept art and renderings for Team Jawa, and they are totally awesome! I'm trying to make my models a lot better now, and to incorporate aspects of yours, such as the trains and such... I am also going to use your idea of the two transports crashing and the drivers arguing.

:lol: , you don't have to follow those. I think these drawings killed me in the end.

I'm far better with my pencil then in 3D. And perhaps it created the wrong anticipation amongst the fans. Thinking they would get what was drawn...

which wouldn't be the case.

Since those drawings where more like to far out, to do good in 3D.

Plus I enjoy your view of the planet to.

Sweet1 I was getting ready to start on my own sleheyron, but now I don't have to! I'll ask to join the team later...

EDIT: Remember there is a lot of Sleheyron info from the guy who wrote the story!

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=185850

That thread has all the information the David(a BioWare writer gave us so far)

I know people have posted this part before but I wanted to for good measure.

Thanks for the compliments about my ideas for Sleheyron. Unfortunately, the whole team isn't doing as well. There's a lot of chaos, and people are just doing some really unecessary and random things, like Hutt Crystals, Czerka offices, and such. BTW, have you checked out the forum? Here is a link. http://sleheyron.proboards49.com/index.cgi

I'll post more screens tomorrow. I've made the planet look more industrial, and added a lot of crates.

Here are my two cents:

I would wait till SS completes the modules and they are working perfectly. then I would ask David Gabler to write us an outline of what the story/quests of the planet should be, that way it is a restoration not a fan idea pile. Then I would create a task list of the quests and stuff like dlgs and scripts, and assign then to members of the team. Just make sure you tell everyone what everyone else is doing, and keep the communication lines open.

The big thing would be to stick as close as possible to what David Gabler writes for us, he could write revisions and story edits based on what is possible in the game and what not.

Remember this is a restoration and it should stick to restoring stuff, do not create NEW quests because they seem cool. Above all have fun.

Here are my two cents:

I would wait till SS completes the modules and they are working perfectly. then I would ask David Gabler to write us an outline of what the story/quests of the planet should be, that way it is a restoration not a fan idea pile. Then I would create a task list of the quests and stuff like dlgs and scripts, and assign then to members of the team. Just make sure you tell everyone what everyone else is doing, and keep the communication lines open.

The big thing would be to stick as close as possible to what David Gabler writes for us, he could write revisions and story edits based on what is possible in the game and what not.

Remember this is a restoration and it should stick to restoring stuff, do not create NEW quests because they seem cool. Above all have fun.

we already asked david.

Here are some new pics for everybody! I was looking through the textures on the KotOR tool, and realized that there were about 25 textures for Sleheyron. Heck, maybe there's even a model somewhere... Oh, well, even if there is, I prefer to make my own! Well, tell me what you think!

sleheyron_11.jpg

sleheyron_10.jpg

sleheyron_09.jpg

^Better. :)

The texturing could still do with a little...sharpening up, I feel, though. You could apply different bits of texture using the planar map tool as you would with a lightsabre, too...

Also, there are models - but they're useless, lacking lightmaps or walkmesh. Three of them are different kinds of arena, and another five consist of four hallways and a central, cross-shaped room. Again, lacking walkmesh or lightmaps, and in this case, very little use in the first place.

Looking good guys, progression on the model details looks good.

Re David, my feeling is that he has shared wihat he is going to on the story line, as posted already, he is fully employed by Bioware and we are incredibly lucky that he has replied in the detail he has already, just amazingly fortunate considering the pressures on those folks in the game development world and their many duties and often a company has strict rules about NOT divulging details about development and changes in script...so we have gotten a gold mine so far.

From what he has shared about the plot already, and pls if you are interested, review his posts and the info in the two threads, the Q and A and the List of Restoration materials, he has given a pretty good overview of the intention for S, and the Hutt plots and counter plots. Since they cancelled and cut the planet after some work up was done, we never really will know what they intended. Sooo, unfortunately a true restoration or a FULL de facto restoration wont be possible unless David does indeed decide to send more details. I can tell him and I am happy to, that progress is being made and will send him the link for this topic too, but beyond that, I would not get any hopes up for as I say, he has gone far above and beyond normal response to such requests and we are very fortunate indeed.

The work so far looks good, and following the counsel of the veteran modders here and putting all the details and full depth into what happens will make the creation a fine work in itself as a mod. It is great to see everyone working together so nicely and so generously, a great community and a great game. :)

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I will be doing quite a few more modules, obviously. My ideas are: Gladiator arena, Hutt's palaces/estates, another city module, various inside modules, and maybe a few mining tunnels.

Edit: Ah, yes! I have had a brainstorm that has been eluding me for quite a while. I want to make a swoop track also! I thougt this would be cool, and it hasn't been done before and I don't think anyone has mentioned making a new swoop track. I hope this is possible. If anyone has info concerning making custom (just setting it up) swoop tracks, I'll probably need that information.

With regards to the concept of 'restoration' as a whole, I think it's always going to be problematic and by nature 'incomplete'. What we have been told about what the cut content includes is not guaranteed that it was going to make the final cut, had Bioware had extra time to complete, possibly due to tech/skill restrictions, maybe the story didn't work as well or possibly they figured out a radically different one. My main point being that however one would want to dub modding efforts such as this one or even say TSLRP as 'restorations', it is probably misleading because they are not simply implementing lost files or code, they are modifying and creating entirely new ones. I personally don't see them as any different to any other decent content mod out there. Anyway, what do I know?

I'm sorry, I was lead to believe we were restoring a planet here that was being implement into the game. I was also lead to believe that the pictures on IGN of Sleheyron were infact, Sleheyron.

We are restoring the original quest ideas as well, from the information provided by one of the writers.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Based on what I've read so far, it would be more like an attempt at a faithful recreation of ideas considered/intended, rather than actually completed but dropped at the last minute for any # of reasons. Nothing wrong with that, btw. If it can be pulled off successfully, it'll be a nice addition to make the game a little fresher for those who've played it umpteenmillion times already.

Archived