Home

DIABLO 3 IS HERE!

Ztalker

Igy: I disagree, the whole point of role playing game is to play a role, y'know role play. Lvlng up, improving skills and getting shiny loot is just a way to "create" the character you want to be, as well as showing how the village idiot ended up becoming a angel killing lord of destruction, err saviour of the world. Diablo is an RPG sure, though I find it incredibly hard to role play. (m'kay, I'm an amazon who somehow got stuck in a rogue village far from any jungle, with some insane disease that prevents me from using propper armor.....)

Feel free to disagree.

To a small talk here and there, so you know a bit why you"re bashing skulls.

You mean besides getting all that nice loot that somehow get stuck inside big nasty beasts?:xp:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I agree, but I'm looking at it from a different perspective - the first RPGs were just the same gameplay-wise as Diablo is and has always been, this is why I'm considering that type of RPG to be the pure RPG genre. I do love these new genre mixtures, they are even better than the original RPG genre, but I still consider them mixtures of various genres, instead of simply RPG games.

You're probably not the only one, I get the feeling that many hardcore role players tend to scoff at the Diablo games since they're very light on role playing and mostly a huge hack and slash fest. If Diablo 3 is like the previous installments in the series you will at most get some NPCs monologuing at you when they give you "go fetch" and "go kill" quests, along with some story exposition when you move between acts.

Yeah, but I'm not a hardcore role palyer, I'm not really a hardcore layer of any genre, except soccer games, but that's not a genre ;)

If Diablo 3 gets good reviews I may get it, otherwise, I won't.

If Diablo 3 gets good reviews I may get it, otherwise, I won't.

Same here. It doesn't look like it's anything we haven't seen before. Mindless and repetitive random battles don't spark my interest all that much. Maybe I'll play the demo, but I doubt I'll get it.

Oh, and I think they could have done the logo better, too. The bottom of the "B" should have gone down like the left side of the "A".

Me and a friend were going to play Diablo last night, and he started it up and his game was running a Directx test... and I kept having funny thoughts about the game encountering the advanced graphics card and Dx10. xD Itd be like 2010, A Space Oddessy, or maybe the monkey king standing before Buddha.

"What the heck is that thing, how long have I been asleep? What year is it?!"

The mother of all RPGs is on its way! Oh, Yeah!

Wow! Has it been that long since Diablo II? 30+ levels of hack and slash. I wonder if they will modernize the RPG factor. I hope they will add more dialogue and quests. Lol...

I must have played Diablo II for three weeks until I finished it. Once I made it to the end, Blizzard said, "Hold on man! Here are another 100 levels." Lol... What a damn ride. There were moments in Diablo II in which I thought it would end, but then the game just kept on going and going and going. I cannot believe there were that many levels of hell. Lol...

Man, I never got to hell without editing my Saved Game with an editor...

Booo, hiss, Cheater !!

Yeah, I know, but I got so sick of those little guys in the jungle!

( this is Diablo 2, nr 1 I played like a madman untill the end)

Honestly, I'm not a fan of that style of RPG. I tried playing that one other game by bioware, Baldurs Gate? I didn't really like it. Honestly, I prefer RPG's where you make your own character, like Oblivion, Kotor, or World Of Warcraft.

Note To Blizzard: STOP ADVERTISING DIABLO IN THE WOW LAUNCHER

It just drives people to spam trade about how they want to play it so bad -_-

If you are looking for another "KotOR" style game, "Diablo III" may not be the right game for you. Depending on how they advance their game engine and technique, Blizzard may not be interested in making an RPG similar to "KotOR", "VtM: Bloodlines", or "NWN". It all depends on if you want a different kind of RPG experience. If you are looking for a new way to play RPGs, I definately suggest you try out the series at least once. "Diablo" is still a type of RPG, but not in the traditional sense.

Now, this may sound cynical, but what's the betting that this is just Actiblizzard (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) wanting a quick profit?

They've probably sat in the board room and tried to decide what will make them a quick buck. So they decide to make a sequel to Diablo II. Based on it's popularity, they could grab any game and put 'Diablo' and 'III' and people would probably buy it.

That's all I can see here - a marketing ploy, which I assume Actiblizzard are expecting people to fall for immediately.

They probably want more capital for another WoW game. :(

And, in case you couldn't guess, I'm not a huge fan of the Diablo series.

Now, this may sound cynical, but what's the betting that this is just Actiblizzard (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) wanting a quick profit?

They've probably sat in the board room and tried to decide what will make them a quick buck. So they decide to make a sequel to Diablo II. Based on it's popularity, they could grab any game and put 'Diablo' and 'III' and people would probably buy it.

Their historic says otherwise. Their games have gigantic developing and refining stages, which by their turn are subject to all kinds of push-backs and the company doesn't have any reservations from cancelling games on the later stages of developing (see Starcraft: Ghost).

With all that said, I would highly doubt that's solely a market based release. Plus, why would they take so much time between the second and third installments?

Their historic says otherwise. Their games have gigantic developing and refining stages, which by their turn are subject to all kinds of push-backs and the company doesn't have any reservations from cancelling games on the later stages of developing (see Starcraft: Ghost).

True, Blizzard is quite dedicated to balance out their games and make them as smooth as possible. Look at SC, its 11 years old, they still release patches, ofcourse its mainly because its considered a sport in asia, but if the Blizz really was out there only for the money, you would think they'd release Diablo or SC every year.

Sure Diablo might be a very simplistic and action orientated game and perhaps the last of their top games: SC and WC had far more develloped gameplay and all.

But, hey, I'm biased, Blizz fanboy :xp: , but I don't like WoW, but its the game that made them indepent, so they can do what ever the hell they want, game develloping wise ofcourse :lol:

Quanon wrote:

True, Blizzard is quite dedicated to balance out their games and make them as smooth as possible. Look at SC, its 11 years old, they still release patches, ofcourse its mainly because its considered a sport in asia, but if the Blizz really was out there only for the money, you would think they'd release Diablo or SC every year.

There's nothing fanboy-ish about this post, Mr. Q. It's just fact. There are multiple companies in the game-branche that value quality over quantity. We see the first is the best, since those companies survived the longest.

Bioware? Was recently bought by EA. But they stand for quality and they would never ruin a project for the quick money. It's not why EA bought them and what they stans for.

Same goes for Blizzard. No matter what you say, Diablo 2 is still played very much. And your patch example proves they are interested in the game themselves too. How many companies still support an 11-year old game?

And, no matter how you look at it, World of Warcraft offers far more then any MMO has offered before. It's quality. Fact. That is't not everyone's cup of tea is a whole other story :)

I full agree with most people here. This product has the 'qualoty' mark stamped all over it. Already.

You know, being an avid fan of the Diablo series, I have to say that I am a little bit dissapointed at from what I see at the moment. While the gameplay does look great and the Cinematic trailer was good, there are some key elements that I see missing from the game, or at least what we have been shown.

Firstly, from what I have heard, Matt Uelmen (the composer for the music of D1 & D2) will not be composing the music for the game, and I must say I am very skeptical that someone else will be able to pull off his unique style and ability. Without it's great music, Diablo just won't be the same.

Also, I am a bit disappointed at the lack of Gothic architecture/atmosphere from the game (or at least what we are shown of it). The dark Gothic style is what really gave Diablo it's feel. Again, I don't see Diablo being the same without it.

I just hope they are able to make it amazing. I have my fingers crossed one way or another.

-Doc

• 1 year later...

Ausgamers.com interviews the developers.

Leonard Boyarsky, for those who don't know, was also one of the founders of Troika.

"The Monk is the Holy warrior of the game," he explains. "He is a member of a sect... a position in society where they report directly to the priest-kings. They're raised from an early age in secluded monasteries where they're taught to become pure expressions of their gods through the perfection of fighting techniques. So, to them, fighting is a way of praying, or giving thanks to god.

"Everything they do, for them, is sanctified. To prove how dedicated they are, they get a tattoo put on their back that is a symbolic representation of their one thousand and one gods - it takes their whole life to complete. Everything in their life is dedicated to their religion, their gods."

No doubt the Holy Order is headed by Gen. Eric...

Archived