Home

PC Gaming: Is it worth it?

Relenzo2

Title pretty much explains it. I mean, I recently bought Okami (good game, buy it if you have the console) for the Wii, and I'm just blown away. Every tiem I try to buy a PC game, which is how I started out my gaming *career?*, I have to worrry about computer speed, video card, compatibility, debugging bugs because computers aren't identical, blah, blah, blah, installation takes an hour, blah, registration, blah... you get it. To play a Wii game, I decide which game I want to buy, go to the store, ask the electronics guy to take it out of the case and pay for it, go home, take it out of the case, put it in the disc slot, and play it. It's that bloody simple. This raises my question: Is it worth all that hassle to game on a PC? There was something similar to this on CivFanatics. I mean, sure some types of games like RTS, Turn-based, MMORPG's, are mostly only for the computer right now, but if there were no PC's, they could find a way easy to make it for consoles and you TV. Even without those game types, is it worth it? I mean, just think of all the extra money you pay for computer upgrades!

Am eager for your thoughts on this.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting a computer that can play the big games is expensive. There are some advantages with computers though:

1: They are very adaptive/adaptable.

2: They allow for modding of games, and oftentimes many more cheats.

3: They allow for downloading of patches whereas with most consoles, you can't download fixes for bugs.

4: You learn a lot more about how games work on a computer than on a console system.

5: More open online play than Xbox live.

Me, I have a crappy computer, but it can run most of the games I have at least at medium graphics.

What the heck is this doing in kavars? Anyway, yes, it's worth it, a lot of excelent games are PC only including ubergames like Vampire, Arcanum, Rome, DK2, Total Annihilation etc the list could fill a dvd. Something you don't like with a game? with a console: suck it up. With a PC: mods, console commands etc. I get a comp from the school, so the money issue dosen't really bother me. And have you tried console ports of RTS'?

At least with console gaming you know the game will work when you pop it in...don't have to mess around with figuring out why games dont start, load, install, etc.

I'm still much in favor, however, of PC gaming over console gaming, mostly for reasons mur'phon and Arcesious mentioned.

Yeah, it's worth it. Why?

1) Because when you compare how much consoles cost nowadays to how much the components necessary for a decent gaming PC cost over the price of a normal PC that you would probably own anyway, they're pretty much even. And, no, I'm not referring to those pre-built, grossly overpriced "gaming PCs" from the OEMs.

2) PCs are upgradeable. Consoles aren't. Once you buy a console, you're stuck with it's soon-to-be-outdated or already-outdated hardware until the introduction of the next-generation console.

3) While this is totally subjective, I think that PC games are generally superior to console games for the reasons that people have already stated above.

BECAUSE CONSOLES ARE BETTER AND THIS NEEDS TO BE PROVEN VIA INTERNET FORUM TRIBUNAL WHICH IS SERIOUS GODDAMN BUSINESS SO STOP TRIVIALIZING INTERNET LAW FFFFFFFFFFGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

*Jae spews Diet Pepsi all over her screen*

That's right, we should discuss something of this magnitude in Kavar''s from time to time. It's good for our collective souls. :D

At least with console gaming you know the game will work when you pop it in...don't have to mess around with figuring out why games dont start, load, install, etc.
Obviously you've never tried playing the PS2 version of Rock Band. :p

Title pretty much explains it. I mean, I recently bought Okami (good game, buy it if you have the console) for the Wii, and I'm just blown away. Every tiem I try to buy a PC game, which is how I started out my gaming *career?*, I have to worrry about computer speed, video card, compatibility, debugging bugs because computers aren't identical, blah, blah, blah, installation takes an hour, blah, registration, blah... you get it. To play a Wii game, I decide which game I want to buy, go to the store, ask the electronics guy to take it out of the case and pay for it, go home, take it out of the case, put it in the disc slot, and play it. It's that bloody simple. This raises my question: Is it worth all that hassle to game on a PC? There was something similar to this on CivFanatics. I mean, sure some types of games like RTS, Turn-based, MMORPG's, are mostly only for the computer right now, but if there were no PC's, they could find a way easy to make it for consoles and you TV. Even without those game types, is it worth it? I mean, just think of all the extra money you pay for computer upgrades!

Am eager for your thoughts on this.

...modding. Yes.

THIS NEEDS TO BE PROVEN VIA INTERNET FORUM TRIBUNAL WHICH IS SERIOUS GODDAMN BUSINESS SO STOP TRIVIALIZING INTERNET LAW FFFFFFFFFFGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Absolutely, Jaymack. Couldn't say it better if I tried.

_EW_

PC gaming isn't just worth it, but PC Games are so much better than consoles, a lot of this is due to mods, but for example Oblivion, looks a hell of a lot better on my laptop than it does on a console - as I can add mods, and do all sorts of tweaks you can't do on a console.

From experience; serious gamers prefer PC to console (though often have a console as well) as I think the PC platform is more fluid than console. There are of course benefits and disadvantages to both. I think consoles are more popular, while in general PC's give a better quality.

My 2 cents...

Well, it appears that a lot of people beat me to it, but, I have another answer to this.

Look at the complexity of games that get released on Consoles. They tend to to be as... puzzling? If they're FPS's, they tend to be of the 'run around and shoot everybody body until they're dead' type games. The PC's also are cursed with those type of games, but you also have games that tend to be more puzzling. Half-Life 1 anybody? That game has it all, great story, great game mechanics, puzzles, challenges, you have to think about stuff, you have to run away from some things. It's got it all!

Then, look at the consoles folks, what do they tend to hold up as the "Ultimate Game"? Halo 3, at least that's what everybody says to me. Halo 1 was interesting... on the PC. I played Halo2 on the PC and all I was doing was running around killing things. Oh, have to press this button... Oh! More things to kill!

What are the graphics like on Consoles? Outdated compared to the highest end PC built. You can get better graphics on PC's than you can consoles, that is fact.

Compare the PS3's best graphics game. (Gran Turismo 5... I think) Then compare it to the highest graphics available on a PC.

No contest.

Graphics and complexity of games are the reasons (Aside from those already mentioned) that PC's pwn consoles.

That and you can move around better!

BECAUSE CONSOLES ARE BETTER AND THIS NEEDS TO BE PROVEN VIA INTERNET FORUM TRIBUNAL WHICH IS SERIOUS GODDAMN BUSINESS SO STOP TRIVIALIZING INTERNET LAW FFFFFFFFFFGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Guess I have to thank you very much for that one. But I'm not dissing PC's by any stretch of the imagination.

What are the graphics like on Consoles? Outdated compared to the highest end PC built. You can get better graphics on PC's than you can consoles, that is fact.

To get that kind of graphical power to run the latest games cost ridiculous sums. And you absolutely cannot discount that you have to know quite a bit in able to pull it off, once you think about it.

WARNING: Console users may be offended by the following passage, read at thy own risk.

And you absolutely cannot discount that you have to know quite a bit in able to pull it off, once you think about it.[/Quote]

I'll agree with you that that kind of Graphical Power takes money. But, this is something I should've mentioned in my reasons that Computers are better.

With a console, you don't have to know anything about how it works in order to do anything on it. You just get a blank expression on your face and you fumble around with the disk -probably smudging it- and then you put it in the console's disk entry point. (What the heck is that called?). Then, mystically, the main menu of the game comes up.

A computer, you actually have to know what those quasi-mystical sounding stuff means.

It's just a different breed of cat.

It's just a different breed of cat.

Indeed why have one of these;

cat-facts.jpg

When you could have one of these;

Cheetah.jpg

Sure the first is far easier to look after and maintain, but the bottom is speed, grace and power. Why settle for copper when you could have gold?

Archived