Home

Dragon Age

Pavlos

The game has been running pretty smoothly for me. I've had a couple of crashes, but that's not too bad in about 80 hours of play. At least it just quits and hasn't frozen my whole system as The Witcher tends to do. The load times do increase when I play for long stretches, but restarting the game every 2-3 hours seems to be adequate. I did have a problem when I patched to version 1.1. The game refused to start and I had to reinstall. I decided to skip the 1.1 patch for now. Has anyone else installed the patch?

system:

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+

NVidia GeForce 8200

4 GB Ram

XP Pro sp3

Update: Someone found a fix for the non-start problem with the the patch. Here is the thread, if anyone else needs it.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang...just had a major let-down...regarding a boss.

The Brood Mother? Apparantly the only way to beat her is to use coward tactics :s I went all out attacking the tentacles in melee, supported by Morrigan and Wynn for healing. I got killed when the Broodmother was about 50% EVERY time.

I then saw 2 little hints in the loading screens (or read it elsewhere)...something about 'equip your characters with melee AND ranged weapons, you never know what can happen.

You go and stand on a stone (where the tentacles can't reach you) and shoot arrows and standard attacks at the tentacles, and after that, the broodmother.

No sweat. Easy as HELL. Compared to the dragon battle, this was WAY too easy once you read a frickin loading screen. Kind of a let-down.

Anyone manage to kill her in melee? I'm playing on normal btw.

I guess the lesson here is "Don't bring a sword to a bow fight" :p

Some enemies have weaknesses and immunities, so it's usually a good idea to change tactics depending on what you fight. Some fights in Dragon Are are nearly impossible if just charging in head-on.

I am pretty frustrated as unless someone comes up with a solution or it decides to fix itself, I have hit a game breaking issue. This is basically a spoiler unless you've beaten the game or are very close as I am apparently on the 2nd last major quest in the game.

The dialog right after you duel Loghain at the landsmeet starts out fine, but the first time Alistair speaks, the framerate drops dramatically (like less than 1fps) until eventually it freezes completely. I have played this part (and the combat beforehand) 8 times now and not been able to get past it. I've tried loading a previous save, and even changed how I did things, the first 6 times Anora did not side with me at the landsmeet but the most recent times, I got her to side with me and it made no change.

Maddening.

The Brood Mother? Apparantly the only way to beat her is to use coward tactics :s I went all out attacking the tentacles in melee, supported by Morrigan and Wynn for healing. I got killed when the Broodmother was about 50% EVERY time.

I then saw 2 little hints in the loading screens (or read it elsewhere)...something about 'equip your characters with melee AND ranged weapons, you never know what can happen.

You go and stand on a stone (where the tentacles can't reach you) and shoot arrows and standard attacks at the tentacles, and after that, the broodmother.

No sweat. Easy as HELL. Compared to the dragon battle, this was WAY too easy once you read a frickin loading screen. Kind of a let-down.

Yes. Mind you, I did have to run around so as not to get killed like the rest of my party a few times and be extremely quick at refilling my health.

I am pretty frustrated as unless someone comes up with a solution or it decides to fix itself, I have hit a game breaking issue. This is basically a spoiler unless you've beaten the game or are very close as I am apparently on the 2nd last major quest in the game.

The dialog right after you duel Loghain at the landsmeet starts out fine, but the first time Alistair speaks, the framerate drops dramatically (like less than 1fps) until eventually it freezes completely. I have played this part (and the combat beforehand) 8 times now and not been able to get past it. I've tried loading a previous save, and even changed how I did things, the first 6 times Anora did not side with me at the landsmeet but the most recent times, I got her to side with me and it made no change.

Maddening.

Strange. The game works just fine for me. In the last ten days it only crashed once. No choppy performance, frame-rate drops or anything.

Some enemies have weaknesses and immunities, so it's usually a good idea to change tactics depending on what you fight. Some fights in Dragon Are are nearly impossible if just charging in head-on.
I'm too hard headed. I bash and bash some more until I die. :D

Yes, Ztalker I've killed her twice with melee. Thank the Maker for Wynne's special talents. With Starfang and the proper enchantments I've been able to bash pretty much anything that has gotten in my way. It does help having Wynne keeping my PC alive.

Finished as a Nobel female Rogue Human. Way more fun than a Warrior, at least to me.

I'm playing as a Male Human (Noble) Rogue right now and there is one very convenient advantage to playing as a rogue - I can unlock all the chests myself, which will eventually enable me to finish the "Correspondence Interruptus" quest.

On another note, Shale turned out to be a very cool and entertaining character. Its personality kind of reminds me of HK-47, especially the part where it finds flesh creatures squishy. Also, its bird "thing" is a gem in and of itself. :lol:

On another note, Shale turned out to be a very cool and entertaining character. Its personality kind of reminds me of HK-47, especially the part where it finds flesh creatures squishy. Also, its bird "thing" is a gem in and of itself. :lol:
Completely agree, Shale was a pleasant surprise. A must on the Deep Roads quest. Shale has one of the better companion side quest and offers some much needed comic relief. Also Shale is pretty handy in a fight.

Did the Mage origins story, my least favorite of them all (so far), but it did give me some background into a certain NPC that I will see later in the game. My PC will not be as forgiving to him as my last two PCs were. :dev14:

Beat the game today, amazing game. Probably one of my favorites next to KOTOR and Morrowind/Oblivion. There were small things here and there I didn't like about it, but overall it was one of the most solid games I've played in a long time.

PS

Enchantment?

Hrmm...odd Jeff. Not sure why you'd be getting that. The game is buggy as hell though - at least for some people. You could post a savegame and someone else could see if they get the same issue and, if not, get you past that cutscene.
I actually got past that part last night but just barely. I had to change the resolution to 800x600, all graphics to lowest possible settings, I even turned Windows 7's interface to Windows classic and I was pressing esc like mad when NPCs would talk to get through it as fast as possible. Ended up working, but it's ridiculous that it took that much effort and so many tries (ended up going through that part over 10 times before I got through).

So I was like yay I can finally beat the game, only to have it freeze halfway through the fight with the archdemon.

Just completed my first playthrough - pretty awesome ending, and it was nice to see what happens to all the areas you visited throughout the game.

I think i'll try a mage this time, completely opposite to my warrior, and actually download Shale for some extra oomph.

Just completed my first playthrough - pretty awesome ending, and it was nice to see what happens to all the areas you visited throughout the game.

I think i'll try a mage this time, completely opposite to my warrior, and actually download Shale for some extra oomph.

Shale can be used as a tank or a DPS...and he has very, very high constitution. Makes healing far more easier when he doesn't go down easily.

Anyway, what's your guys favourite party set-up?

-PC: Warrior DPS (dual wielding)

-Allistair: Tank

-Morrigan: Ranged support

-Wynn: Healer

Anyway, what's your guys favourite party set-up?

-PC: Warrior DPS (dual wielding)

-Allistair: Tank

-Morrigan: Ranged support

-Wynn: Healer

Well, on my first playthrough it was definitely:

Dual Wielding Warrior PC

Wynne: Ranged/Healer

Leliana: Single meele weapon (needed her for lockpicking more than anything else)

Sten: Two-handed OR Shale OR Oghren: Two-handed

Now on my second playthrough I can pick favorites more than choosing usefullness, since I'm not playing entirely fair and that means Shale goes almost always and the rest switch around.

I think a good party balance would be 2 mages, 1 sword & shield warrior, 1 2h warrior or dual wield rogue.

Lockpicking is pretty pointless as the loot in locked chests is almost universally crap. I think 90% of chests must have worthless daggers. There are one or two locked chests that contain gifts for NPCs and one or two doors to "treasure" rooms, but nothing you'll ever miss. That means you can either leave out a rogue altogether, or if you do take one spend the talent points in much more useful areas.

For mages, I think the Repulsion Hex is an extremely handy spell when you can position the party at choke points like doorways. Couple it with Grease, Fireball, and maybe an Earthquake, then whip out the Cone of Cold for anyone that gets past. It's also worth having a couple of single target spells for cramping the style of enemy mages like Petrify, Paralysis, Crushing Prison, etc.

I'm still kind of mixed on the best path for damage dealers. I played a 2h warrior my first run through. While they can hit hard, they are so slooooow. I think I'll try a dual weilding rogue next playthrough.

Err, how many of you here have tried out the homosexual relationships on their first playthrough?

Not only homosexual, but an interspecies fling, my female elf and Leliana heated up the camp fire.:dev14: It is the shoes man, you have to get the shoes!

Who cares what is in the chest, it is the experience for opening the thing I want. The experience for chest and traps is the reasons I consider a rogue a must.

1st Playthrough I used them all, but my main group was:

PC – Dual Wielding Warrior

Morrigan: Mage and Smart Ass Comments

Wynn: Mage/Healer and Motherly Advice

Leliana: Rogue and Locks/Traps plus Camp Warmer.

2nd Playthrough

PC – Dual Wielding Rogue

Morrigan: Same as before

Wynn: Same as before

Allistair: Warrior/whiner (camp fizzler)

3rd Playthrough (in process)

PC – Mage

Morrigan: This time adding Camp Warmer to her resume.

Leliana: Same as before, but want to see a possible cat fight too

Wynn: Same old same

Lockpicking is pretty pointless as the loot in locked chests is almost universally crap.

While not strictly necessary a rogue can still be pretty handy. All that crap loot from locked containers does add up to a fair amount of gold if you sell it to merchants. And you get around 40-50 XP every time you unlock a door or chest, or disarm a trap, which makes you level up your guys a bit quicker.

I'm using Leliana for that purpose and have her equipped with a bow and made her learn that annoying, seemingly unavoidable AoE stun skill (Scattershot?) that enemy archers love to spam your party with. Bows do pretty decent damage it seems, she almost has the same damage percentage as the warriors in the group (though my mage PC still has over 50% of the damage output herself). :)

Archived