Home

AS / A-levels?

Salzella

They come in today, and I'm sure there are a few brits out there who, like me, get theirs today...

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours :carms:

Not really.

English Language - A

Geography - A

Media Studies - A

Sociology - C

lol @ sociology

or, because this forum is full of nice people, commiserations, sympathy and a shoulder to cry on can be found.

edit: or alternatively we could discuss them

apparently this year there is another increase in straight-A students and the pass rate is also going up, for I think the 27th year running. this generation is smart :D

Congratulations on your results.

I don't do A Levels, but I have passed the first year of my IT course.

I have seen very little evidence of that [/Quote]

Yeah, the hordes of troglodytes on my street corner haven't been reading much Tolstoy recently.

I knew lucasforums was full of nice people :D

Any plans?

oh, numerous plans :p notably, however: Philosophy degree at either Aberdeen, Glasgow or Edinburgh university, or Architecture at Edinburgh, or a joint honours Film/Television Studies and Art & Media Informatics.

however, i still need to carry on these results another year, so i'm getting rather ahead of myself :xp:

Just got back from the celebrations at the local pub. I think my eyes bled at the first sight of natural light for five or six hours.

Yeah, the hordes of troglodytes on my street corner haven't been reading much Tolstoy recently.

Yes... because fifty years ago everyone was reading Tolstoy, who was just all the rage back then.

Congratulations to all who took their A-Levels this year, good luck to all those waiting on GCSEs, and to those who took AS-Levels -- the hard stuff's yet to come. :xp:

Sociology is the study of people in their given society; ie. how people act as a whole rather than individually - which is psychology obviously. it's intensely dull :xp:

Oh, I know what it is.

We had a class like that in High School - it wasn't as bad as yours seems to be.

_EW_

*Looks at all those alien words*

So you did well in your second year at highschool, right?

And how many letters are there in your sytem?

If the British Grade system, its probably similar to what we use here in the states, which is based on this:

A = Best

B = Good

C = Average

D = Bad

F = Summer School

Also, there are + and - for other stuff. In the states (or, at least in my school district) its like this:

A+ = 100-97%

A = 96-94%

A- = 93-90%

B+ = 89-87%

B = 86-84%

B- = 83-80%

And so on. o_Q

I'm not sure if the British System is similar, or anywhere alike to the State's system, so, would a Brit please elaborate?

Well done! 3 'A' grades should put you in the running for just about any University. I remember getting my A2 grades last year...the wait was horrific...

Anyway, for the non-British here...

At the moment, the grade 'A' is the highest grade possible in Advanced (A) level examinations. It requires 240 marks out of a maximum of 300.

After that is the 'B' grade, which is still a highly commendable achievement.

A grade 'C' follows, and is generally regarded as a good pass.

Beyond that are the 'D' and 'E' grades, neither of which are particularly desirable. Few Universities accept them.

After that, we have every student's nightmare - the 'U'. This stands for 'ungradeable', and generally requires a re-sit.

No 'plus' or 'minus' just yet, but there are plans for an 'A*' grade in the works.

And on another note...Northern Ireland has the highest pass rate - again! :emodanc:Source.

Again, congratulations, and good luck for those like Burnseyy awaiting GCSEs

Then what's an AS? Advanced Ssssssssssomething?

Advanced Subsiduary. Used to stand for Advanced Supplementary. When Labour did a shakeup of the exams system for Curriculum 2000 they split the A-Level in half, the AS and the A2. The idea behind it is to allow students to study more effectively in the areas demanded of them by the A-Level syllabi.

In the days of the old AS (the very early 90s, I believe), a student would study areas in equal depth to the full A-Level but there would be fewer of them. Nowadays, the AS contains all the easier things from the old A-Level, with the A2 plunging the student into all the more difficult parts of it. The A2 has more in common with 'ye olde' A-Level in terms of question style than the AS does, as well. There is a heavier emphasis on thought rather than regurgiation. So, in AS-Level Biology, I may only have to know about the different functions of prokaryotic/eukaryotic cell organelles from mitochondrion to endoplasmic reticulum but in A2-Level I will have to apply that knowledge to situations, write essays on things that I have never seen before in my life utilising the core concepts. That sort of question does occur at AS level, it's just more common at A2 :). To get a regurgitation question at A2 is rare.

Edit: From what I can gather, the A-Level (16-18) is supposed to be equivalent to American study at college for the first two years (18-20). :)

Edit 2: Grade boundaries are:

A -- 80%

B -- 70%

C -- 60%

D -- 50%

E -- 40%

The new A* grade (which will simply differentiate between public and state school pupils, if you ask me) demands that the candidate achieve an A at AS and then over 90% in A2 to account for the increase in difficulty.

Edit 3:

Beyond that are the 'D' and 'E' grades, neither of which are particularly desirable. Few Universities accept them.

Most universities do. Even Christ Church, Cambridge with its EEE unconditional offers. :xp:

Edit 4: Do not misunderstand me, however, both AS and A2 are tough and stressful exams to take and AS is of equal difficulty to a 17 year old as A2 is to an 18 year old.

Archived