Home

I'm old, and therefore I love side-scrollers

Prime

I've been on an old school kick and been playing old playstation and MAME arcade games. I sit in a rocking chair on the porch to complete the ensemble.

There are some real gems from the good old days of hand drawn graphics (which I still say sometimes look aesthetically better), and I'm finding that ones I loved back in the day are still fun as hell. Looking for more.

Right now I've been playing Macross: Do You Remember Love for the psx, The Macross Plus on MAME (Frontier has me Macross centric right now), 1944, Aero Fighters, and Spy Hunter.

So come on, give me some more recommendations and revel in your old school love of side-scrollers!

Somewhat off-topic: I've also been playing Soul of the Samurai for the psx. Are there similar games like this for the psx? Pure win. Also would take pointers for sports games for Mame.

Old man thread? /sits down, pulls up trousers

Double Dragon was always fun when you doubled up. I also enjoyed Xevious and Defender quite a bit. Excite Bike for the NES was a good one too (at least in memory). The only sports game I remember for MAME was Cyberball though its appeal as a robotic American Football game may be less for Canadians. :p

One of my favorite games of all time is for the psx, Castlavania: Symphony of the Night. It is widely regarded as one of the top games of all time and probably one of the best games for that system. It has the classic side-scrolling platform jumping style but also has rpg elements.

I'm not exactly an old coot like you guys (dodges canes and such), but, I have owned a psx(and, the bulkier PS earlier). When I was young (and, sometimes now) I loved the games on there:

EDIT:

Removed non-sidescrollers. Tetris still kind of counts as one...

TETRIS! That was one of the most epic games invented. If I hadn't broken the disk somehow, I might play it today.

I was more of a Sega Genesis kind of guy. :)
You, my friend, have just made yourself a new enemy... wait, that doesn't sound right. :confused:

EDIT:

Removed non-sidescrollers. Tetris still kind of counts as one...

TETRIS! That was one of the most epic games invented. If I hadn't broken the disk somehow, I might play it today.

The fact you associate "Tetris" with "disk" saddens me. :(

SONIC!!!!! Rocket Night Adventures for the Genesis rocks!!! Super Star Wars!
Yes, yes, god yes.

Metal Slug series. I used to love those games.
QFT. I recently bought the Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii. Every MS game in one, awesome package. Now I'm eagerly awaiting Metal Slug 7's release for the DS in November.

Other than that, Mario has always been the boss, and the latest New Super Mario Bros. for the DS is probably the best Mario side scroller yet. The music is integrated into the gameplay; every time a certain riff plays, the enemies jump and change directions. Also, it uses 3D graphics, however, it still maintains the 2D side scroller perspective.

Also, I'm a huge Metroid fan, with Metroid Fusion being my favorite. Absolutely great presentation, especially those eerie conversations with your sinister computer assistant, always playing that music, you know, the music that always plays when something sinister afoot.

Right now, I'm looking forward to Wario Land: Shake It! for the Wii, since it will feature *gasp* hand drawn graphics instead of sprites. Huzzah!

One of my favorite games of all time is for the psx, Castlavania: Symphony of the Night. It is widely regarded as one of the top games of all time and probably one of the best games for that system. It has the classic side-scrolling platform jumping style but also has rpg elements.

i sold the strat guide for that game on ebay for over $50. it MUST be a damn good game for someone to dish out that kinda money for the damn guide...

Archived