Home

Microsoft offers reward for missing Xbox gamer

Achilles

The problem is too many parents use Computers, TV and games consoles to act as surrogates - they're just too busy having their own lives to be concerned with something as unimportant as their child.

And then, they wonder why the child acts out when their 'surrogate' is taken away from them.

Very well said!

Yup.

I swear, a lot of people are addicted to video games.

I know I kinda am. I'd rather play some games then study. But, unlike this kid, I know the difference of what i want and what I need, so I can study w/out too much of a problem.

I will say they are both to blame, the Dad for negelcting his son to the point that he felt the need to run away to play an Xbox. And the son, for becoming so attached to this thing, its a game, and not real life.

I think this is a really sad subject of which to put in the news. Microsoft is doing this because their product has been advertised in a way by showing just how much this kid liked the game council. I should run away and take my Apple computer with me so that Steve Jobs would offer a new Macbook Pro for my return! lol

Nope. That's not what would happen and this reward from Microsoft shouldn't be up for grabs now. If they want to show they care, I would like to see Bill Gates out there looking for his loyal customer personally.

what kind of bike was the kid riding, and did it have handlebars?

A bike

no handlebars.

@OnTopic - This is stupid. I mean, the kid sure seems like he has issues. When my parents took away my xbox (I was in middle school at the time, this kid is my age and should be in high school) I pouted for about 2 days, but got over it. Something else must have motivated it, the xbox was just the final straw. Poor, stupid kid....

Tragic events indeed. The thing I can't stand is that people are making it out like the police investigating the X-Box was such a bad thing. I mean if he had been on a chat line constantly and ran away, it would be the same thing. They were hoping to find a lead as to where he was going. When my sister went missing when I was a child they looked into every friend she knew to find any clue as to where she might be. They looked into the possibility that she ran away because my dad had cut off her phone privelages(in the days before call waiting and voicemail, an emergency call answered with a busy signal was pretty upsetting). The end result, a kid is dead, and the family is hurting. I hope everyone here respects the dead child and the family that is now grieving.

Tragic events indeed. The thing I can't stand is that people are making it out like the police investigating the X-Box was such a bad thing. I mean if he had been on a chat line constantly and ran away, it would be the same thing. They were hoping to find a lead as to where he was going. When my sister went missing when I was a child they looked into every friend she knew to find any clue as to where she might be. They looked into the possibility that she ran away because my dad had cut off her phone privelages(in the days before call waiting and voicemail, an emergency call answered with a busy signal was pretty upsetting). The end result, a kid is dead, and the family is hurting. I hope everyone here respects the dead child and the family that is now grieving.

Some good points there, Tommy. We shouldn't forget that a life has been lost here. People may think that the kid was overreacting, or something similar, but we don't know anything about the boy's circumstances - as you point out, gaming could have been the boy's main lifeline, and his way of reaching out to the world.

My condolences are with the family.

If I was the father, I would make his gamertag mine and say "screw the kid, he's probably dead right now". Not kidding

I find you comment to be in very poor taste indeed.

• 3 weeks later...
it's the kid's fault too for sucking so badly and i hope he never reproduces

People like that usually don't. It's a great thing to go out.

Not like this, though--ironically in every sense of the term, now.

Tell you what though, I'd kick the father's @$$ because it sounds like he's a bit dysfunctional himself. Sounds like more issues were there than just video games. The games should never have been given to this kid if it ran this deep and there were other problems.

How much family time did they spend?

Maybe the kid needed to grow up and didn't realize throwing a fit this badly might end up getting him in bigger trouble than he imagined.

Microsoft is covering their ass I suppose. Even so, I still say parental responsibility and discretion in this case looks to sorely have been lacking.

If microsoft only provided the games and services, then I can't really say they are to blame. Maybe if they *knowingly* contribute to something bad they deserve to be reprimanded for THAT. Not here, though.

THIS is EXACTLY how we begin losing our rights is stupid crap like this possibly leading that kid (or any other kid) to be harmed or killed. (My Condolences, BTW)

It gets sensationalized and then capitalized upon by people like hillary clinton.

It's like that one teenager who comitted suicide who also happened to be listening to Ozzy Osbourne. I listened to the song suicide solution and even the wierd part--even decompiled it. Oz never said "Get the gun-shoot-shoot-shoot!"

Shifting the blame in both cases.

EDIT:

Just a thought, The kid has some stake in this as well. Personal responsibility. Lots of kids do rotten stuff and throw conniption fits because they can get away with said rotten stuff and more.

However I don't claim to know what the circumstances were. I have to give the benefit of the doubt in the end. Undeniably, something wasn't kosher. I don't know if the parents were decent or not.

Perhaps the family was just fine, it was just fate, and it was the boy's first major reaction, flexing his muscle in reaction to his restriction. Which unfortunately ended up being his last.

It's just tragic it had to come to this.

This has given me food for thought about how to tell my neigbors that I don't trust their kid and how they're raising a monster. I actually thank whoever posted this news article as well as who posted this thread. This extreme may prevent another tragedy I see brewing in the works across the street.

1) If children show behaviour otherwise not shown there is a reason behind this, whether it is physical or mental.

2) Children with a 'broken' home situation will ALWAYS have some emotional weak point because of the emotional ties to a mother and father. This isn't always bad though.

I work with children like this kid. They ALL have some...behaviour problems. It can manifest itself in rage, poor concentration, and rebellious behaviour to name a few.

It's not always negative though. One kid turned out very caring and helped other kids in the class. Another turned very competitive, which only stimulated his school work.

If you guys claim the dad (and thus the family situation) is dysfunctional, there's a pretty good chance the effects are visible on the kid too.

I don't know the story that well, but it looks like a typical case to me....

Archived