Home

XWA one year thread IV: The Clown Wars

K_Kinnison

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched the new star trek movie. I am SO glad I only paid $1 to see that movie. The special effects were awsome, and it was nice to see Star trek get a facelift and big budget, but that is it's only redemption.

Major gripes:

• Replacing almost all the main characters with Angsty youngsters with troubled pasts.
  • Time travel/Alternate history to add to the angst
  • What brain dead idiot thinks a failed gradute of Star fleet academy gets promoted to first officer and then gets the captaincy of the latest greatest starship practically fresh out of dock?
  • Uhura and Spock. Is not logical. Nothing more then some romance to appease the female species
  • Red matter plot hole. MAJOR plot hole. A plot whole that creates a black whole and forces it all to make sense
  • SHAKY CAMERA. I can understand in the action sequances, in fact JJ abrams touch is a lot better then some of the computer generated crap i saw in BSG. But not for Dialouge scenes PLEASE *puke*
  • LENS FLARES.. omg please.. this does not make a movie look COOL.. it makes it look like amature crap.

Minor Gripes

• The Kelvin after it's first hit the "weapons are off-line" but it still fires. after the crew evacuates the main screen says "weapons off-line" yet George Kirk is able to fire them, and even take out receeding missiles.
  • if the ship is on maunal control, why the HELL does he keep going back ot the Captains chair after fiddling with the controls?
  • The Enterpise on earths surface.. in Iowa, being built. Good luck getting that into orbit. Would ahve been cheaper to build it in space i bet.
  • Uhura and Spock kissing on the transporter pad in public. Really bad and highly illogical
  • What the heck is R2-D2 doing in star trek (okay not really a gripe)

Blech... looks like JJ abrams is slated to make another Star trek movie. *sigh*

It's Star Trek for non-Trek fans. (Or non-SciFi fans, for that matter.)

I didn't exactly hate it... but I certainly didn't love it either. Some of the characters and acting were good, however.

But most of my non-geek friends wondered why my best review of it was "Meh. It's OK..." They all loved it. So there you go...

I thought it was pretty "meh" as well. Although whats-his-name who played McCoy nailed it, and I enjoyed that a lot.

McCoy was the best thing in the film. Scotty was good too... though a bit over the top.

(Strange thing: Those were my favorite 2 guys from the original series, too.)

Chekov just annoyed the crap outta me... which also holds true from the old school.

IMHO: J.J. Abrams is the most overrated producer/ director of this generation. I haven't seen anything of his that "wowed" me in any great way... though I know people who believe he walks on water.

McCoy was the best thing in the film. Scotty was good too... though a bit over the top.

(Strange thing: Those were my favorite 2 guys from the original series, too.)

Yeah, Scotty was a bit overdone. OK, but would have been better if they dialed it back a little.

Chekov just annoyed the crap outta me... which also holds true from the old school.

Old Chekov I liked, new Chekov was just...meh. Much like the movie itself.

Spock was my favorite from the original series. In the new movie, he sucks. And Kirk is totally unlikeable in the new movie. I was actually rooting for him to die the whole way through.

see, i think what made TOS so great was the primitive technology and all that. TNG was a great facelift, but still stuck to what made TOS great. None of the explosions and battle scenes were overly epic, but the characters made it terrific.

the new star trek might as well be called something else, because it seems completely different to me. That's why I haven't seen it.

the new star trek might as well be called something else, because it seems completely different to me. That's why I haven't seen it.

it had something the OG one didnt have

real actors

seriously

I loved it

I watched OG and TNG

like this better, way less campy and lame

I grew up with the Star Trek Movies... and.... well... that was different. I basically thought it was a groovy action flick, but not much else. I understand Trek fans bein' upset, because where it was "Star Trek" it wasn't Star Trek.

Besides, I comfort myself knowing Star Wars is better anyway... :D

I do admit, that this new star trek movie had it's qwerks

I did see it with RFH, SXW and Jango

it isnt 'bad' but it isnt all that 'good' either.

honestly, its more of a 'feel good' movie

that and they made each ship more 'industrial' is a difference. altho being someone from a Naval ship, I understand alot more why. If you were any where else from a certain area, you saw pipes. LOTS OF PIPES.

Chekov in TOS was a nod to all the teeny boppers in love with the beatles. Look at his hiarcut. Also it was a nice twist during the Cold war to show Russians and Americans working together. In fact Chekov didn't appear in the TOS until later in the series, obviosuly "to boost ratings"

Last night I went out with my parents to celebrate my Dads birthday. Went to a japanese Hibachi Grill resturant. Chef was medicore, he asked a person who wasn't getting fried rice wether they wanted eggs or sauce. he forgot to cook the Bean sprouts and twice food flew into people waiting for thier food.

But afterwards we went to a Neighborhood bar that has one of the largest beer and whiskey selections I have EVER seen. More then 20 beers on tap. and by the time we left there were over 50 people there in a small bar

playing the waiting game with this coworker girl seems to be paying off....waiting, as in waiting for her to ask me out. worked with her alone today so i kinda got to talk to her a bit. apparently she's single, she said her ex was all about himself, etc. and she's changing her phone number. i haven't really pried any of that information out of her, she just brings it up and stuff. then she's like we should hang out, etc. she wants to do shots with me at a bar on wednesday so hopefully it'll be a good time. i'll just take it slow with her, see if anything more than friendship develops. if it does, awesome, if it doesn't...least i have a hot friend that is a girl. :)

anyway, i had a good day today.

Had a pretty good day... only soured by a speeding ticket on the way home. :mad:

Granted: I was being a bit of an idiot and probably over by a bit... but I wasn't going that fast. 5 - 10 over the limit at that spot, tops. I was the only person on the road for miles in any direction that I could see too.

Still... I probably won't bother to fight it.

I got my first speeding ticket at around 5:30 in the morning rushing to Cambridge for work along the Mass. Pike the first summer I traded in my JOL for a big kid license. I was working at a construction job at a public school there, and I still got like 3 parking tickets that summer because the city didn't think it was necessary for workers be able to get there in order for the job to get finished :/

Archived