Home

The most emotional "scene" of a game. (spoilers abound)

Taak Farst

What do you think is the most emotional thing you have seen in a video game? It could be when you choose whether to kill Kaidan or Ash in Mass Effect, it could be a part of the bastila romance subplot like the kiss!

The most emotional thing I have seen in an RPG has to be Killing off ash or kaidan on Virmire on Mass Effect. This may be because I am driven by the new ME2 trailer :p

I feel it was quite emotional when finding out your Revan in KotOR!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Jedi Council, and eventually Kreia, betrayed you at Dantooine in KotOR II. When I first got to that in KotOR II, it was so disarming, so sudden, that I was literally in a state of denial, even when I got to Malachor V.

When you found out that you were Revan in KotOR I, it was more of a "Aha" moment, especially the intro cutscene which flashbacked to all of the lines that foreshadowed the whole event. But, in K2, there was something there that was more effective.

Sure, the entire event had been foreshadowed thoroughly, with the "echoes" theme and all; but still, all that time spent gathering all of the Masters as allies to fight the Sith, while in turn, you were revealed to be nothing more than a pawn for the Sith, and the one who had been using you all along was your most helpful ally and mentor. The whole event was utterly emotional, IMO.

The most emotional thing I have seen in an RPG has to be Killing off ash or kaidan on Virmire on Mass Effect.

Emotional? Well, I was pissed I couldn't kill off both of them. Luckily I hated Kaidan more, seeing as he was Carth and all.

When the Jedi Council, and eventually Kreia, betrayed you at Dantooine in KotOR II. When I first got to that in KotOR II, it was so disarming, so sudden, that I was literally in a state of denial, even when I got to Malachor V.

Agree. I loved this scene; it drew me in, crushed me, and then made me push on.

When you found out that you were Revan in KotOR I, it was more of a "Aha" moment, especially the intro cutscene which flashbacked to all of the lines that foreshadowed the whole event. But, in K2, there was something there that was more effective.

Also agree.

_EW_

Devon's post made me fear derailment of ANOTHER thread of mine..:p

I agree fully with PastramiX with the TSL thing. What made me more into it and emotional was the music you hear playing in the enclave and the end of the game if u choose the option to fly off in ebon hawk. It jerked a tear to my eye - because I got deep into the romance subplot of the Handmaiden and I wondered if she might of died? Mind you I watched a lot of soaps the day i completed it..

Emotional? Well, I was pissed I couldn't kill off both of them. Luckily I hated Kaidan more, seeing as he was Carth and all.

I got major into the romance subplot with Ash, so it was kinda sad for me to let her go (coz I decided to go along with the "choices" it showed as examples in the trailers - plus I love sad bits.

At the start I killed Wrex without a hesitation - he sucks..

When the Jedi Council, and eventually Kreia, betrayed you at Dantooine in KotOR II. When I first got to that in KotOR II, it was so disarming, so sudden

uh what

the jedi council are all shown to be giant dicks during the game. seeing as they let the mandalorians come in and tear up the republic for no then-apparent reason, it doesn't seem like a stretch they'd be willing to cut off the connection to the force of a guy they thought was dangerous and had already kicked out of their club

kreia choosing to kill the jedi or get pissed at an evil pc wasn't in any way surprising for someone who understood her character. while i didn't on my first playthrough, her whole 'kindness is weakness and manipulating people for your own ends is good' shtick kinda gave the fact she'd be willing to kill good guys (or at least as close as kotor2 had to those) or hurt the player away

I was literally in a state of denial, even when I got to Malachor V.

i think it's a great scene, but it's in no way the stunning plot tweest you're portraying it as

I got deep into the romance subplot of the Handmaiden

at the end of the game i'll tell you what my name is and that's it

So, I generally despise writing companion romances

lolwut again

uh what

the jedi council are all shown to be giant dicks during the game. seeing as they let the mandalorians come in and tear up the republic for no then-apparent reason, it doesn't seem like a stretch they'd be willing to cut off the connection to the force of a guy they thought was dangerous and had already kicked out of their club

kreia choosing to kill the jedi or get pissed at an evil pc wasn't in any way surprising for someone who understood her character. while i didn't on my first playthrough, her whole 'kindness is weakness and manipulating people for your own ends is good' shtick kinda gave the fact she'd be willing to kill good guys (or at least as close as kotor2 had to those) or hurt the player away

i think it's a great scene, but it's in no way the stunning plot tweest you're portraying it as

lolwut again

sorry - meant mira..god wat is wrong wit u - r u TRYING to derail my threads?

The most "emotional" thing I've seen in a video game is definitely a scene from Mass Effect. It doesn't have anything to do with killing a character though. :naughty:

OK, seriously, I'd have to opt for one of the Legacy of Kain game series. It would most likely be the scene from Defiance when Raziel is being consumed by/merging with the Soul Reaver. It's not a romance plot, but it was a very deep scene.

Oh, I agree, it was foreshadowed heavily, and it could be predicted. Yet, one thing that I think was the main catalyst for shock was the false hope that you generated by uniting all of the masters. Most of them seemed grossly optimistic and hopeful about uniting and fighting off the Sith, and those feelings seemed to translate towards the Exile. It was built up so that it seemed almost certain that the Sith would be defeated by the Masters, the Jedi would reign again, happily ever after...

But it didn't happen that way.

That is why, I believe the betrayal is quite effective, especially when on your first playthrough. Sure, it was possible for them to do it, but it was the illusion of hope that the Masters gave off that clouded their their true agenda. To the player, it seemed as if they had turned another leaf. But, yeah, it was wrong, which is why I think that attempt to cut you off from the force could be disarming for some.

I found the Exile's confrontation with Sion to be "emotional". The point where Sion realizes he's been played by Kreia, that he's not going to be able to defeat the Exile, you really get the feeling you "broke" him.

The Council meeting was emotionally as well, but for me, more in the way it was told and portrayed, than by what occurred. But I wasn't expecting the Masters to cut the Exile off of the Force, so it was a bit of a shock, yeah.

Agree, This could be one of the most emotional feelings I have had on a scene of a game.

"But Deekin doesen't like you!!!"

Deekins refusal to join Mephisto, with the serious setting, after allready loosing one companion to him, contains more (and better) emotion than a thousand death-of-awesome-guy/gal-x scenes.

VtMB:Opening the damned mummy container.

MoTB: Not finding all the mask fragments and being forced to choose betwen serving Kellemvor or move the world back to square one.

VtMB:Opening the damned mummy container.

It's not like they didn't warn you not to open it throughout the game. Almost excessively so :p

MoTB: Not finding all the mask fragments and being forced to choose betwen serving Kellemvor or move the world back to square one.

Are you drafted as a wall guard by Kelemvor regardless of your alignment/evilness? Haven't played MotB as an evil character, but I've heard that one of the chaotic/evil ending have you...

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
turn into a god-killing abomination, fully embracing the hunger of the curse.

Or maybe that just happens if you have all the mask fragments?

Or maybe that just happens if you have all the mask fragments?

Not exactly. If you haven't found all the mask fragments you can choose several options depending on your choices so far.

- If you were of any alignment, you can choose to cast Akachi out of your soul and loose him on Rashemen again. You can still do this if you've found all the mask fragments.

- If you were of neutral or good alignment (possibly evil, but it doesn't seem like something an evil character could do) you can choose to "imprison" Akachi in your soul by sending to a dreamscape he'll never be able to wake up from. Although this ends the curse, you'll have to stay in the City of Judgment for eternity - by tying Akachi's soul to yours you've "accepted his fate as your own" or somesuch. I don't remember Kelemvor's rationale. Obviously this ending isn't available if you've found all the mask fragments.

- If you devoured Myrkul, you can choose to devour Akachi and fully master the curse. Being evil or devouring the Founder's soul might also be a requirement. For some reason it's only available if you haven't found all the mask fragments. If PCs who found them all could choose not to heal Akachi anyway, why can't you choose to devour him?

Yet, one thing that I think was the main catalyst for shock was the false hope that you generated by uniting all of the masters.

What hope? If you spoke with Visas and Kreia throughout the game, it's fairly apparent that "normal" Force-sensitives are helpless against the new Sith. The Masters even admit they'd be dead too if they hadn't picked the right worlds to hide on.

The most "emotional" thing I've seen in a video game is definitely a scene from Mass Effect. It doesn't have anything to do with killing a character though. :naughty:

Hahahah I watched that scene today coz i finally managed to get a whole play thru of ME up.

The ending of FFX.
This made me cry ;_; Especially when Yuna tried to hug him T_T

The last conversation with Bishop in NWN2's OC. It made me all "BAAAW don't you believe in true wuv!!!" D:

Gorramit, I am so embarrassingly vulnerable to cloying, maudlin moments :p

Ending of Legen of Zelda: The Windwaker

You realise you're playing a direct sequel of Ocarina of Time. You visit 'your characters' tomb (bottom of the sea), retract the sword, etc. It would feel like finding a dying Revan in Kotor 2.

But the game's finale...damn.

You enter Ocarina's world. But by beating Ganon, you condemn the world. It must now go, after being on the bottom of the sea for far too long. And you see the King of Hyrule on the bottom of the sea, pushing you up in an air bubble whilst remaining behind himself. A bit like the Titanic scene in which you see the guy sink to the bottom of the sea.

An epic game. But I suppose it was so good because I played Ocarina first. :)

the ending scenes for TFU was pretty darn good (and yes, that's both endings). the "canon" ending had the most emotional appeal, though. for shame that such a good story was wasted on a game that fell short on so many other levels. :(

and i can't leave this thread without mentioning the ending to Half Life 2: Episode 2. jeez, what a shocker and a serious tear-jerker to boot.

^^Yeah...the ending of Half-Life 2 Episode 2 was so surprising, and left me in cliff-hanger mode. I think I went through a period of depression because of it:D

For those of you who have played World-In-Conflict: Soviet Assualt, there was a scene on which one of the main characters, a Colonel Orlovsky, who's character is extremely well-made, is shot by his ambitious Nephew, who is blinded by Soviet propaganda. It just took place at such a crucial time, that it really surprises ya. It's kind've a tear-jerker, depends on your point-of-view:D

Archived