Home

The Monkey Island series...

Monkey Mania

Is the Monkey Island series real?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Monkey Island series real?

• Really happened
    • Guybrush's imagination

Neither. Monkey Island is a series of fictional computer games.

You can consider the presented events to be someone's dream, an unrealized George Lucas movie, or an ancient writing on a cave's wall - it doesn't matter in the least for the story itself which remains the same in all those cases.

I know that this is what Monkey Mania meant. It wasn't my intention to say his question was badly formulated. I was making a point about the pointlessness of stating that everything is fiction at the very end of a work of fiction (Like it happened in MI2). To me the answer to the question Did it really happened or is it Guybrush's imagination? is irrelevant to the Monkey Island story. Or maybe rather: the events will always be real within the story because they are what the story is about. The final scene suggesting it was all a fairy-tale doesn't really change the story before it in any way, it just leaves us with an abrupt ending.

I remember realising at one point that the "it's a child's dream" could NOT be true - I remember having damning proof. But I'd been at work at the time (I work part-time at the university library) and busy shuffling books. 500 textbooks and 3 hours later, I'd forgotten. All I remember is thinking that there was an odd line that struck me as not being a joke - that hinted at something bigger (the REAL secret of mi maybe omg111!!). It's a line that happens in one of the first two chapters of MI2, or between Guybrush and Elaine in SMI. For the life of me, I can not remember what it was.

Either way, it struck me as being very important. Too bad I forgot it. My memory's useless.

Now you've made me curious Kroms...

Too bad I don't have the time right now to play the whole game again and pay attention to every line that is said :(

I voted for "really happened" by the way. It just seems more logical to me after seeing Chuckie smile so evil at the ending of MI2

Maybe somebody in the Tri-Island Area is just fooling around with Guybrush by putting identical Grog machines everywhere he goes :p

(btw this was my 61st post, do I get some sort of price for that?)

I remember realising at one point that the "it's a child's dream" could NOT be true - I remember having damning proof. But I'd been at work at the time (I work part-time at the university library) and busy shuffling books. 500 textbooks and 3 hours later, I'd forgotten. All I remember is thinking that there was an odd line that struck me as not being a joke - that hinted at something bigger (the REAL secret of mi maybe omg111!!). It's a line that happens in one of the first two chapters of MI2, or between Guybrush and Elaine in SMI. For the life of me, I can not remember what it was.

Either way, it struck me as being very important. Too bad I forgot it. My memory's useless.

Wait a moment, I'm a teenager with no job. I do have time to do this.

Can you remember anything more specific?

I honestly really don't know...

I like both notions... to an extend...

I take it we're talking about the first two, because the series changes drastically from there on.

The fact that it's al a childs imagination does appeal to me, but not fully, there is something else going on...

That's why I can't, and won't, choose... Your poll has to do without me...

Sorry that it took me so long to return from the dead for this.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand that. Does that mean that Bruce Willis wasn't a ghost, then?

No. Bruce Willis being revealed as a ghost is not a statement about the prior events in the movie being all fiction/fantasy, is it?

Would you consider the Monkey Island story being about a bunch of actors playing in a pirate movie called "Monkey Island" if only a final scene of MI2 would show that the characters were some modern day people in make-up?

One thing I think we can say with relative certainty: Ron Gilbert had the crazy end of MI2 and whatever it all means... planned when he made SMI.

In one of the conversations with the Voodoo Lady in SMI, she tells Guybrush that his journey will lead him to discover startling things about himself and his world (to paraphrase). I think she was alluding to whatever it is that happens in LeChuck's Revenge. It could just be dialog "spice" for the sake of being dramatic and mysterious... but I think it means more.

I think whatever Ron Gilbert's original intentions were, for all intents and purposes, in the series' continuity, everything that has happened to Guybrush is "real". And Ron's involvement with/blessing of Tales Of MI seems to indicate that he generally approves of the direction the story has developed in after his involvement, even if there are parts of it he would have done differently. So that's why I think it's real.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that its all real because of the obvious clues that we have been given, such as Lechuck's 'evil eyes' and Elaine's comment about Guybrush being under some sort of SPELL.

I think the idea that Guybrush's parents were in fact murdered seems a bit harsh, and it goes a bit too dark for my liking. Tales stuck just the right balance of comedy and darkness, but this knd of revelation I think would wreck the fun of the game, and it would also be saying that the game is all a child's imagination.

What would help is Ron Gilbert saying he had the MI2 ending planned during Secret of Monkey Ilsnad, for instance.

Doesn't the story go that it's how he wanted to end The Secret of Monkey Island before Grossman and Schafer talked him out of it.

Archived