Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

29 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Love that extra reprise (is it a reprise? I don't have a clue) at the end of the Monkey Island theme. The music during the scrapbook is great, but not that much different than what we've heard in the TSoMI special edition, if there's a difference at all.

I guess it's a mini-coda.

• Like 1

I was thinking... the elevator that takes you to Melee in Monkey 2... all my life I thought of it as a simple easter egg, when in reality it is something that happens. I wonder if since Return to Monkey Island starts at the amusement park and then (I guess) we go to Melee, if the way to get there is the elevator and in fact we have some kind of explanation as to why in the tunnels on the island Dinky there is an elevator that takes you to Melee.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rapp said:

I was thinking... the elevator that takes you to Melee in Monkey 2... all my life I thought of it as a simple easter egg, when in reality it is something that happens. I wonder if since Return to Monkey Island starts at the amusement park and then (I guess) we go to Melee, if the way to get there is the elevator and in fact we have some kind of explanation as to why in the tunnels on the island Dinky there is an elevator that takes you to Melee.

I've got it! The elevator is the Master's Tardis!

Kidding aside, I'd quite like it if some more overt sci-fi themes crop up with regard to the 'secret'. I'm well up for an interdimensional, spacio-temporal portal flittering in and out of existence around the Caribbean. But I suspect Ron will choose to be more subtle and ambiguous than that.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LowLevel said:

The guys at Revolution Software, in a Steam news about their improvements on Broken Sword 2, added this nice shoutout to Ron and the RtMI developers. 🙂

image.png

I caught this too. Gotta say, in my mind the only adventure franchise that can comfortably compete with monkey island is broken sword so it’s cool to see the respect on show here. 

• Like 2

Seems like a pretty nice update to Broken Sword 2 too. I understand that remaster is significantly less intrusive than what they did to BS1 — I ended up just playing the original on ScummVM, although I was repeatedly saddened by the screwed up scene fade transitions.

26 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

Featuring what I think is a first-ever name reveal for our favorite crate-toting ghost pirate!

20220915_155123.jpg

Edited by Niemandswasser
  • Like 4

This is the third appearance of one of those Swordfighting books (From Devolver's Twitter)
There's definitely a new mechanic different from insults in this game, methinks
(Spoiler tagged for those who don't want to see anymore screenshots)

Spoiler

FcuLhOCWYAQgvqS?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, LowLevel said:

The guys at Revolution Software, in a Steam news about their improvements on Broken Sword 2, added this nice shoutout to Ron and the RtMI developers. 🙂

I'd love to know what people worked on both Broken Sword (5?) and Return to Monkey Island. I think I'm going to research the entire team. I need to find out who was new to Monkey Island, who was not, and who started crying during the job interview. 😃

9 hours ago, Niemandswasser said:

Featuring what I think is a first-ever name reveal for our favorite crate-toting ghost pirate!

Love that name!!

Edited by Vainamoinen

10 hours ago, Thrik said:

Seems like a pretty nice update to Broken Sword 2 too. I understand that remaster is significantly less intrusive than what they did to BS1 — I ended up just playing the original on ScummVM, although I was repeatedly saddened by the screwed up scene fade transitions.

(Sorry for the OT: if the scene fade transitions are still broken on the current version of ScummVM please DM me and tell me more about it)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

I need to find out who was new to Monkey Island, who was not, and who started crying during the job interview.

I don't know if it helps your research and I apologize for the intentional vagueness but someone wrote somewhere what I have reason to believe it is inside information. No source was provided:

Sound designer:
Elise Kates (lead)
Andy Martin (ambiences)

Edited by LowLevel

This bit from the Eurogamer piece is interesting (and a bit annoying to me, personally)

"I personally disagree with Elaine and Guybrush ever getting married for a lot of reasons," Gilbert told me. However, he noted that if this romantic dynamic between the two was to be undone, there would be "a lot of issues" with fans. As such, Guybrush and Elaine are still married in Return to Monkey Island (the couple tied the knot at Curse's conclusion).

This is not to say, however, that Gilbert and co did not flirt with the idea of creating a rift in their union. On coming back to the series, Gilbert had a play around with the couple drifting apart, but this decision was poorly received by early testers.

"We actually had a very, very early incarnation of the game [where] their relationship was a little bit on rocky ground... they weren't divorced, but they were definitely not getting along," he shared. "[But] when we did our first play test, man, people hated that! [They] absolutely hated that."

To compromise, Gilbert and Grossman instead kept "some elements" of this idea in Return, but told me it was "much different now" compared to that early version.

Absolutely do not get the fan obsession with Guybrush and Elaine. In the first game they met twice and had a deliberately corny, unrealistic romance. In 2 it had gone bad and the one big scene with her goes badly. In CMI she spends most of her time as a statue then they get married. In EMI they're married happily but mostly Elaine just sends Guybrush on errands.  Only in Tales do they actually put in any real work to make any sort of comment about the sort of commitment their relationship is, and even in that both characters appear to have some romantic chemistry with other characters (even if it turns out at the end Elaine was faking hers).

It's not exactly the greatest love story ever told. Why can't they be a little unhappy in marriage? Why can't we have stories in games that explore that kind of relationship? They clearly WANTED to. 😕

Ah well, I'll try to follow my own rule and try not to wish for the game to be something it isn't. It's just a bit frustrating to see that they couldn't make that sort of thing work.

• Like 4

In fairness the later part of the quote suggests that they did keep some of that in the game. 

I personally wouldn’t mind if they initially went more ‘all in’ on that and decided to dial it back.

I find the relationship fairly uninteresting overall and am equally disinterested In seeing it fall apart. I’d rather it simply not feature all that much in the story at all.

13 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

This bit from the Eurogamer piece is interesting (and a bit annoying to me, personally)

Absolutely do not get the fan obsession with Guybrush and Elaine. In the first game they met twice and had a deliberately corny, unrealistic romance. In 2 it had gone bad and the one big scene with her goes badly. In CMI she spends most of her time as a statue then they get married. In EMI they're married happily but mostly Elaine just sends Guybrush on errands.  Only in Tales do they actually put in any real work to make any sort of comment about the sort of commitment their relationship is, and even in that both characters appear to have some romantic chemistry with other characters (even if it turns out at the end Elaine was faking hers).

It's not exactly the greatest love story ever told. Why can't they be a little unhappy in marriage? Why can't we have stories in games that explore that kind of relationship? They clearly WANTED to. 😕

Ah well, I'll try to follow my own rule and try not to wish for the game to be something it isn't. It's just a bit frustrating to see that they couldn't make that sort of thing work.

Since this is old ground on which I'm historically disagreeing, I'll just add one overlooked line from M1 and follow it by agreeing with one of your points.

The line: In MI1, the Voodoo Lady sends Guybrush with, "Now go and find the one that loves you." Elaine's line in Curse is arguably an echo of what Voodoo Lady already foresaw in the first game. It's possible Gilbert didn't write that line... or the scenes at Mêlée docks and Booty mansion.

The agreement: Relationship complications can be a very enjoyable element in stories, including MI. Hopefully when Ron says they kept "some elements", they turn out to be the very best elements!

Edited by BaronGrackle

Yeah, this is the first video I regret watching, but only a little bit lol

On the plus side, I'm happy nothing bad happened to Wally in this clip. 

Also, is it just me or is Guybrush really well liked by many of the characters so far?

Edited by demone
  • Like 2