Home

Dark Forces...

GonkH8er

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

Unfortunately, I do not have Dark Forces. I played a demo of it at a friend's house about five years ago. Pretty fun. (The dianogas freaked me out, though) I plan to download the upcoming Dark Forces TC for JA when it comes out, though.;)

You can find it pretty cheap at many stores, too. Might wanna check it out. Its just a good game to have. :)

Yes, Dianogas are freaky. They just jump out of the water, and... .EATEN! ;)

I got the game when it was first released, and I played through it on Medium difficulty and loved it. The little tweaks and additions to the engine (like being able to look up and down) were very welcome at the time. The only thing I didn't like about it was the lack of a mid-level save feature...requiring you to complete a level in it's entirety, or start over in the next gaming session. I've played it several times since then, always on Hard difficulty.

The game's still on my hard disk, although ever since my Mobo was replaced about 18 months ago, I haven't been able to get the sound to work. :( I played through DF again a few months ago, and if you can forgive the dated graphics, it's still a good blast. Of course, it took me far, far less time to get through it - some of the levels seem really small, now, when the first time through them they seemed quite big.

Ah...fond memories. ;)

I can't wait to play the Dark Forces mod that's in development. Having played the 'Secret Base' demo level, I know the quality is excellent, and the mod will be very good. Of course...there are no sound issues, either.

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

I have it but I could never get it to run on XP.

:mad:

The only time I ever played DF was on the ps1, it was pretty cool though.

I've always wanted to try the PC version but I think I'm s.o.l....

I'm pretty sure the PC version is the same. :)

I own the cd-rom DOS version and the "win95/98" version.

I had played the demo years ago, but I bought the game after I had gotten into Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight to see "how it all began."

While I liked the idea of DF, I felt the first couple of levels were somewhat boring.. but the game got MUCH BETTER as you went on, and I enjoyed playing it (that last level was somewhat frustrating though, with the lack of mid level save).

The other thing I really liked is that there was already a large library of user-created content (especially maps) to browse through when I bought the game.

I will confess that I felt ripped off when I bought the Win95/98 version of the game. It is 100% identical to the DOS cd-rom version, except that they included a win9x "launcher" for the game (no new features, sorry) that only works if you installed the game into the default directory anyway (c:/dark/). So it was kind of pointless. Also I bought it at Hastings, and they first told me I could return it, then said I couldn't. But... it was only 10 bucks at the time, so not a big loss. But I digress.... ; )

PS: Don't bother with the PSX version, it's just slightly below the PC (goofy controls, lower res, no editing). I really want to try the Mac version though, with its higher resolutions. I wish LucasArts would release the source for this game, so that people could make it with higher res, internet multiplayer, OpenGL and stuff like that (like what has been done for Doom and other older FPS games). I enjoy the DF mod for JK2, but it's not the same...

I've got two copies of the three-level demo (one is a Full Throttle/DF combo demo CD, the other came with the LucasArts Archives: Volume 2) and two copies of the full version (one came with the LucasArts Archives: Volume 3, the other came with my copy of Jedi Outcast). Woot?

Let me tell you, if you liked the DF demo (warts and all) you'll LOVE the full game, trust me. ; )

I think they did release the DF Source Code, or someone aqquired it from the game I heard someone say, Emon probably knows more what I'm talking about.

If true, this is BIG NEWS. I want to know all about it... 'cause this passed me right by. Is it legal? 'Cause what a boon to the mod community that would be!

dark forces was a great game. i liked the whole FPS thing but i wasn't really a fan of doom or duke nukem, so when it came out i was really quite excited. i didn't stop playing it for months. the story was great, the graphics were pretty cool (for its time :p ) just so much fun.

Originally posted by SamFisher

That was a great game, it took me like 2 days of continuous playing to beat it. It was a nice tuch(sp?) to put Boba Fett in there, IMO.

2 days? :eek:

It took me like a few months, but I wasn't playing it contionusoly. ;)

However, a few months ago the Duke Nukem 3D source code was released. Since Dark Forces runs on the same engine, there is hope yet.

I'm afraid you're wrong, Duke3D used the "Build" engine, while DF used the "Jedi" engine developed by LucasArts.

There were rumors at the time of DF's release that they had "stolen" the Doom engine code, but I don't think there was anything to them (obviously, or Id would have sued). Of course that would have been silly anyway, since there were other games that used the Doom engine out and others that didn't long before DF came out.

Archived