Home

Who Likes Anime?

Aash Li

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I had a PS3, that would be one of the first games I got. Do you think the Anime will make sense if you haven't played the game?
It's kind of too early to tell, from what I can gather having just seen the first episode it looks like it will be going over the entirety of the story, it doesn't look like it will leave gaps where you would need to have played the game to understand it. Just as an aside of sorts the game's main story unfolds over 18 chapters/stages give or take a few side missions and the anime is scheduled for either 24 or 26 episodes, so it is pretty easy to see how the story can be broken down. I would think the target of the anime would be to present the story as it is told in the game, but add the fleshing out of characters that played more minor roles in the game. I guess in short, I would think it'd be easy to follow along with the story without playing the game, even though you should play the game because it is awesome. :xp:

One which I've just gotten into was Witchblade, which lasted for one season of 24 episodes. The visual effects were not the greatest and some of the characters were ridiculous, but I've become very attached to the story as it progressed.

This was one of the many series I watched during my downtime and I'd have to agree.. very kewl series, and quite unlike what I'm used to watching. It was a refreshing change to say the least (of course scantily clad pixel cuties didn't hurt either..hehe) :D

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood airs in Japan today! Looking forward to catching it on Funimation.com. :)

Holy crap that's tonight! Thanks for the heads up Serpentine. Definitely will have to check it out :thumbsup:

Well this is my first time posting to this thread.

I really don't care for anime because there are so many shows that are just repulsive, but I think I've come to really appreciate a certain few over the years.

It took a bit of getting into, myself, I'll admit. An acquired taste of sorts.

One which I've just gotten into was Witchblade, which lasted for one season of 24 episodes. The visual effects were not the greatest and some of the characters were ridiculous, but I've become very attached to the story as it progressed.

<*brevity*>

Witchblade is not so great on an episode-by-episode basis, but if you see the entire series, many say that the series became more enjoyable as they went through to the ending. It had a sad ending, but it came to that end very well and it moved me... (alright, there were moments when I actually cried... I'll admit it was that great)

You can get killer deals on it at best buy. Seriously. Get all 6 discs while they are cheap.

Sometimes things are a little uninspiring as compared to western animation works, and sometimes even for quality it sometimes pales in comparison. However, anime has a life about it that seems to keep pulling me back to it.

Eureka 7 is sort of a hi tech fantastical type of series...the kind with a life I sorta wished I had in middle school to high school. Ultimately, I found it was about ...humanity. Adapting and living. Times that change. Not unlike our reality.

I think many folk who say that about anime, get the rough end of the stick from shoddy places like Adult Swim.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say adult swim is all sucky. I liked some of what they had. ...Well, as of a few years ago, anyway.

Theres also anime out there that is only anime because it came from Japan. If that makes any sense.
Selling the label, you mean? :rolleyes:

Of course Darth, without knowing what genre you like, I cant make any reccomendations on what I liked in those same types. :)

Whoa, didn't expect this thread to get buried under all the others in such a short span of time.

I guess that I've seen some of the 'high end' Anime that my sister had bought. I liked CB, but the only other one I could simply stand was Trigun. She also had a lot of fantasy series which never aired in the US, I believe and not dubbed in English.

Witchblade took place in Japan, but I think the characters were close enough to American to be believable. I can't see Cowboy Bebop being voiced in Japanese, but a series in which takes place in a foreign state shouldn't be re-dubbed in English. That simply detracts from the anime because the dubbed versions often have terrible voice actors.

I have really come to like dramas where the characters take first stage; not the fantasy or sci-fci aspects. Modern or not-to-distant future plots are also what I prefer over other-world or super-exotic locations. I know that Witchblade and Cowboy Bebop have little in common, but I really like clever humor, character development, and I don't have issue with Japanese voice acting if it fits the setting. Any reccomendations would be appreciated

Black Lagoon. You're a girl, so I think you'd love it that the main character Levy is so...bold. (I'm putting it kindly, here.) ---or it may just seem too odd. At the very least it's a lot like watching an action flick, just a hell of a lot funnier.

Also, IF you bother to look into the origins of witchblade, you'll find that it actually came from American comics--at least to the best I know. (have a few issues) Same sort of group that came up with Fathom, and even helped with Tomb Raider comics.

Also, if you want to sample anime in full without spending $$$, go to

http://www.anivide.com. VM me and we can chat if you want. I'd love to chat with you as one who likes anime but am not as into it as other people are. ;) You won't have to worry about me innundating you with just...stuff.

Eureka 7...it's about the future, and a bit of sky surfing...and some odes to music tracks (kinda gets me since I have musicians in my family and, hey, I can appreciate that). Might not be all that appealing to you, but you never know until you give it a try.

Ranma 1/2.......... hillarious.

If you don't like Japanese themed Anime, then I'd recommend anime that doesn't take place there. I know that sounds pathetically simple, but it often makes english dubs and such more believable.

Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are the classics, but I recommend the new Hellsing Ultimate OVA series, Gundam 00, Maybe other gundams (but they are a much older taste of anime being many of them are about 30 years old), Gunbuster, Diebuster, FLCL, etc.

Mainstream anime that hits Adult Swim isn't always the greatest, but they are specifically chosen for their appeal to American audiences. I'd find a list of everything Adult Swim has played and just pick and choose between them.

QFE

If you have Sci Fi, I think they still do show anime on mondays...ani-mondays.

Street Fighter is a good series for reaching American audiences. You can even rent from a video store.

I'd recommend Robotech as well. It's an older series. (I got a couple of comics from back in 1986 for a steal at my local flea market) :D Sort of like gundam.

Bleach...modern life ...with the supernatural and sort of samurai esque thing going on outside the mundaine life...and hillarious.

One piece...mix in pirates and that sort of time period, some samurai or ninja elements, some kung fu stuff...and a whole bunch of goofy loony stuff...some royalty...you'll get the picture.

Naruto...mmm Ask chevron 7 locke for more info. :xp: Then I'll give you my take.

Blood the last vampire (movie) or Blood + (series)

A cute young swordswoman chick living a normal life for a highschooler and coming to terms with her inner vampire. Japan based, but very American feeling considering the movie involved a plot with the US government.

I might say full metal panic and full metal alchemist (no relation).

This was one of the many series I watched during my downtime and I'd have to agree.. very kewl series, and quite unlike what I'm used to watching. It was a refreshing change to say the least (of course scantily clad pixel cuties didn't hurt either..hehe) :D

<snip>

Meh-heheh-heh. BoioioionG. Boobs....I just want to say that again...boobs.

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to go with... Yes? I started Nocturne and haven't played it in a month, been so busy hopefully I can play it again soon. Wasn't there a Persona based anime already?

There is. I only saw the first episode, but it's related to P3.

Wonder if I should resume....

Blood+ is based in Okinawa where there is an American naval base. Hence the heavy American theme running through it.

Witchblade started out as a Dark Horse comic series back in the mid-90s (I believe). So, its one of those odd occurances where the Japanese turn a western comic into anime. Though I think I like their version of Witchblade better.

Eureka 7 is great... but only if you watch it with subs. The dubs still make me gag. >.>

Blood+ is based in Okinawa where there is an American naval base. Hence the heavy American theme running through it.
Whenever Blood+ was running on [as] I happened to come across it, probably a couple years ago now, and all I know about it is this...

Mr David...

david-from-blood-plus.jpg

David Bowie...

david-bowie_002322_1_MainPicture.jpg

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to go with... Yes? I started Nocturne and haven't played it in a month, been so busy hopefully I can play it again soon. Wasn't there a Persona based anime already?

Yeah, there is: Persona: trinity soul.

There is. I only saw the first episode, but it's related to P3.

Wonder if I should resume....

If both of you are looking for a Persona-anime, then trinity soul is not for you. If you're just looking for anime content related to Persona, i guess it wouldn't hurt.

For the anime I like, here they are:

-Bleach

-Naruto & Naruto Shippuden

-School Rumble (funny as heck)

-Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle

-xxxHolic

-Code Geass (only watched one episode though :xp:)

-Death Note

-Ghost in a Shell

I guess. What does it have? Just some Persona cameos here and there and few references to the games?

It has a similar concept and is set on the same world, but there is no Persona-switching, the Personas are more ethereal than corporeal when summoned, fights are lackluster, no Shadows, etc. Pretty much no reference to the game except for Akihiko who appears regularly after ep 13. It's also contradicted in a certain aspect by P4 so maybe it's not canon lawl.

It's less about kicking ass with Personas and saving the world (which is what the games are all about) and more of an analysis into the concept of persona itself. Still enjoyable though.

Watched through all the episodes of Hetalia: Axis Powers yesterday, there are 11 episodes but they are only 5min long. I though it was hilarious, the countries was potrayed in a good and funny way. The beginning of the show is a little chaotic, but it's get better later on. It's a web show, so it should be legal to link it here. I downloaded it to get better quality, but watch the first episode to see if it's seem interesting.

And today i finally started watching Maria+Holic, have seen the first three episodes but still haven't made up my mind if i like it or not. First episode was pretty funny, but the two other were more boring. Will probaly give the show one or two more episodes but if it still haven't picked my interesse i will drop it

@Ma ping: Watch the rest of Code Geass ^^

K-On! ED is possibly more epic than its OP:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

sry Niner but,

Haruhi is better :p

esp with Yuki on the Fender Telecaster :3

I have JUST DISCOVERED HOW MUCH WIN Afro Samurai IS!

For the anime I like, here they are:

-Bleach

-Naruto & Naruto Shippuden

-School Rumble (funny as heck)

-Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle

-xxxHolic

-Death Note

-Ghost in a Shell

Sounds great to me.

2cwn11d.jpg

Ah. Yes. Same guy also made manga of Zombie Powder. Funny how similar that guy looks in that scene to its main character.

2cp2vlh.jpg

MMMM....nah. Though that movie was something.

Then hurry up and finish it. It's all worth.

It has a similar concept and is set on the same world, but there is no Persona-switching, the Personas are more ethereal than corporeal when summoned, fights are lackluster, no Shadows, etc. Pretty much no reference to the game except for Akihiko who appears regularly after ep 13. It's also contradicted in a certain aspect by P4 so maybe it's not canon lawl.

It's less about kicking ass with Personas and saving the world (which is what the games are all about) and more of an analysis into the concept of persona itself. Still enjoyable though.

I might resume it, then.

sry Niner but,

Haruhi is better :p

esp with Yuki on the Fender Telecaster :3

I never said K-On was better than Haruhi. :p

And Yuki plays a Gibson SG, not a Fender Telecaster. You fail at guitar recognition.

Archived