Home

Teachers with guns - bad idea?

Chase Windu

I just read this article and got to wondering what everybody here thinks. Should teachers be allowed to carry guns in school?

Personally, considering the school I went to, think it's a horrible idea. The school I went to had teachers who liked students better than other students so that could come into play when considering risk factors. Other teachers just seemed...not all there (trying to be nice:)). I just think it's a bad idea.

A teacher could also get confused and pull h their gun and fire, injuring/killing a student. Like if there's just a brawl in the hallway and there are no weapons, just fists and wrestling. A teacher could get confused, possibly think there's a gun, and then bust some caps.

So what do the rest of you think?

And let's try to keep this a civil discussion, plz.:)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there should be any guns in schools at all. What if the gun gets stolen and used on someone else? What if a student attacks, teacher pulls the gun, student wrestles the gun away, and shoots teacher? What if there's an accidental misfire? It's a human nightmare waiting to happen, not to mention a liability nightmare. Leave the policing to those who have training in that field.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I know!:D

All the passengers on planes should have guns! If everybody on planes had guns, no one would dare hijack them! As long as guns are banned on planes, only evil people will have guns!

Remember 9/11, folks!

[/N.R.A. Parody]

I don't think there should be any guns in schools at all.
And that, girl, is the smartest thing I've heard all week.

I still think that it would be a bad idea though cause I don't see many teachers as the rambo type.
Give the kids guns, too! And the janitors! And the coaches!

Never ceases to amaze me that some people think the way to solve gun-related violence is by introducing yet more guns into the picture.
Indeed.

And that, girl, is the smartest thing I've heard all week.

[Good wife thread mode]*Jae bats eyelashes in amazement*Oh, my wonderful husband thought it up for my little brain[/good wife thread mode]

I probably should extend that thought and say 'no weapons in school' for anyone, not just guns. The last thing we need to do is mix together hormonal teens, stressed-out teachers, and weapons. That's sort of like mixing TNT, gasoline, and a nice extra-hot flame all at one time.

And tazers/tasers/however they're spelled do have a small risk of serious injury or death.

Students should not be sitting in an environment trying to learn where they have to worry about weapons around them. Security guards/police should be taking care of the issue of students with weapons, not teachers.

The image of a sleeping kid suddenly jerking awake as a shot is fired into the wall right above his head is vaguely amusing, but then again I'm taking some rather strong meds for an asthma attack at the moment, and that may be making me a little flaky.

The image of a sleeping kid suddenly jerking awake as a shot is fired into the wall right above his head is vaguely amusing

Hehehehe. That made me smile.

All around bad idea. The only people that had guns in my school were the cops that patroled the hallways. I know a few teachers that would have snapped and started shooting everyone.

I guess Jae already mentioned it, but what's to stop a kid from stealing the gun, saving the trouble of smuggling it to school? It's simply better to have NO GUNS. PERIOD.

edit: Guns are dangerous. Especially the end with the hole in it.

And tazers/tasers/however they're spelled do have a small risk of serious injury or death.

I'm thinking tranquilizer guns are a good compromise.

The image of a sleeping kid suddenly jerking awake as a shot is fired into the wall right above his head is vaguely amusing
Yes, but the image of an awake jerk suddenly falling to sleep into the wall is more amusing. :)

Then again, imagine the horror if someone were to go on a shooting rampage with a stolen tranquilizer gun... and then turns the the gun on himself... :o

Getting tazered by a teacher seems liek a great way to make a lot of money and bankrupt the school district at the same time.

I like the guns on a plane idea though. Give them to all passengers as they go through security.

Seriously thugh, would teachers even want the responsibility of carrying guns? Or even tazers? Or even knowing there was a locked cabinet of them and if a psyco came into school they were expected to deal with them? Most teachers didn't get into the career to be police officers.. and i know i sure wouldn't want the responsibility of carrying a gun and having to make life and death split second judgements.

Sigh whats with all these crazy Ideas I agree with Jae on this issue. No guns problem solved. I would think it would be smart to hire Police officers to patrol these schools now and days with all this chaos thats going on in schools. 3 School shootings in the past 2 Months! Totally out of hand. :(

Archived