Home

Awesome Barbecue Steak Made of Carnivore Win

tk102

Okay a little background. I moved into an apartment this summer and I don't have my beloved barbecue at my fingertips anymore. But I still felt like cooking up some meat. So I picked up a bulk package of some nice sirloin for the summer, froze it, and have been trying out different ways of cooking it over this summer. I figured it wouldn't be too hard right? After all broiled hamburgers taste good don't they?

Man have I disappointed myself. I've tried marinating, dry rub, straight up broiling, pan frying, even cut some up for stir fry. All of it has been mediocre at best. Tonight was the last straw. I failed again with an electric fry pan approach and was just about to go out and buy a little charcoal bbq but I decided to search the internet with the weepy, pitiful, anti-macho search term "how to cook a steak" ...

I found little beauty of an article:

http://tastebudchicago.com/blog/how-to-cook-steak/

I'm going to get this right yet. :fist:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't sound too bad, but I'm always a little leery of steak advice from people that advocate steak sauce.

Also, 2 minutes per side is probably going to come out medium rare, if not medium (depending on the cut of meat), so I'm not sure how much you're going to accomplish by giving the steak a 2nd round of cooking via convection if you like your steak a little bloody.

PS: Not sure what apartment rules are like in your parts, but down here, you're not permitted to grill within 10 feet of an apartment, therefore ix-nay on the rill-gay unless you use their grills (if they have them). Might want to invest in a Foreman indoor grill. Not the same, but...

lol i like step 6. Make sure not to skip it or your steak won't turn out right!

If you do step 6 first and then repeated after every other step you could even do as jmac7142 suggested and microwave and the steak would still taste great.

Living in an apartment on plus side means no mowing on the negative side you lose the opportunity to barbecue. What is worst is no one can prepare a steak to your liking better than you so eating out is not an option. Even so the lack of mowing makes me love apartment life even if it means giving up a good steak.

Become a vegetarian :D I'll welcome you to the club!
I’d love to try it if it didn’t mean giving up meat. :D I admire people with the conviction to become a vegetarian, but I just can’t do it.

We got ourselves a little portable grill when we were doing the apt. living thing.

The other option is to go to a park that has grills, put some foil down on the grill grates (don't know about you, but I don't like sharing my grill with bird guano), and grill away. Or get together with friends and offer to do the grilling on their grill while you all drink the beer.

Cast iron skillets are awesome, especially for camping--just make sure to season it before using it the first time. The foreman grill sure smells good when you cook but I wasn't as impressed with the results, and the ones they had about 15 years back were a pain to clean. Hopefully they've improved over the years.

Yeah if you can't bbq I'd look into a Forman grill. Short term solution at best though. Me personally, I can't bbq at my place..but I can always go to my friends house and bbq! Works out great...no mess for me to clean up either! :D

Become a vegetarian !

Good god are you crazy? I'd rather lose an arm.

Microwave it.

**reposts yet another after last night's debacle**

Heresy!! :tsk:

Properly grilled, steaks are great. :drool1: If you don't over-cook 'em, a grill pan on the stove can work pretty well, same for broiling. Hamburgers are probably best off the grill, though I'm not too crazy about the pre-formed ones from the store. If you can get a small grill at your apartment, go for it. If not, a grill pan may be decent way to go. Btw, how do you like yours anyway? I tend towards rare-med rare.

Become a vegetarian :D I'll welcome you to the club!

I sincerely hope that you know how to form a complete protein (I'm sure that you do;) ). I've met plenty of vegetarians that didn't, and it showed in their obviously malnourished physiques.

@tk102: You must improvise or find a way to grill over a (preferably) charcoal fire. There is no substitute.

Hell, I don't even like gas grills.

Become a vegetarian I'll welcome you to the club!

YES!!! :cowdance

I LUUURRRVEEE tofu!

Steak is icky... yuk. I don't like the taste of meat...

I sincerely hope that you know how to form a complete protein (I'm sure that you do ). I've met plenty of vegetarians that didn't, and it showed in their obviously malnourished physiques.

Yup... Protein is the Vegie's natural foe. However... I've done LOTS of research on the essential amino acids. Being Anemic is the last thing I want. Beans, Rice, Soy, and Nuts are the Fantastic Four... :lol:

Tofu is dirt cheap too... much less than meat...

@tk... Well... I may not eat meat... but I know how to cook it... I usually used a frying pan...

I sincerely hope that you know how to form a complete protein (I'm sure that you do;) ). I've met plenty of vegetarians that didn't, and it showed in their obviously malnourished physiques.

Well, in all actuality, combining proteins isn't as necessary as once thought. I had a conversation with a nutritionist about vegetarianism and the idea of complete proteins. She told me that research now says it isn't something that most Americans, vegetarians or otherwise, need to worry about. The idea that we must combine one set of amino acids with another within a set time frame isn't so. In other words, your body doesn't dump one set if it doesn't combine with another set in a given meal.....or even a 24 hour period.

The primary outward symptoms of protein deficiency are loss of hair and blue coloration of the nails, not a "malnourished" physical appearance. While I am a victim of male pattern baldness, I don't have blue nails and a lot of people are shocked to learn that I am a vegetarian considering that I am over 100 lbs overweight. Part of that is due to being an ovo-lacto vegetarian with a soft spot for cheese and mayo. I am not the gung-ho vegetarian that I was years ago (think animal rights activist), but I still haven't ingested any meat in over 17 years. Its really more of a habit now than anything. However, the thought of putting a dead animal in my mouth is still disgusting.

Did you try your daughter's easy-bake oven? :)

I guess your problem would be "Moving it around too much"

A few tips.

1) Start with a bit of high heat first, then turn it low. Helps sear the juice.

2) Don't flip/stir around too much, flipping should be done no more than 3-4 times.

3) Anything beyond Medium is disresptect to the steak god.

4) After your cooking rituals, let the meat sit for a few minutes, don't just dig in.

5) Force lightning, everything taste better with a bit of zing.

Archived