Home

Favourite books?

Hoad

During my 2 weeks break from school I read a lot to pass the time, most notably George Orwell's "1984". I heard a lot about this book so I decided to read it and I loved every second of it. It's intelligent, full of twists and turns, and grim as it may seem it's becoming more and more a reality considering it was written 60 years ago. I would recommend the book to anyone as even after you've finished it it leaves so much to think about.

Other books I read that I would recommend are similar to 1984 (revolving around a grim future) - Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World", Philip Dick's "A Scanner Darkly", "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said", and "The Man In The High Castle", Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451", Thomas Pynchon's "V", and Yevgeny Zamyatin's "We"

What books would you recommend?

1984 is a good book, also I'd go with Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.

Other books? I went for CSI series, and textbooks, of course, and, eh, art books, I think.

No, seriously, "I, Robot", by Issac Asimov, is a terrific fiction. Also, I sometimes read a magazine called "The Science Fiction World", a monthly magazine when I was in China.

I love Tolkien so I'll second The Hobbit as well as recommend LotR and The Silmarillion, though that one is a bit harder to read and only for people already fans of the series I'd say. I also love Douglas Adams' series Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, they are just so off the wall. And lastly I'm a big Harry Potter fan. Re-reading Deathly Hallows is something I'd like to get around to doing. Those are my big 3 series/authors that I love.

In random order:

- Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

- Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

- Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander

- Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan

- Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks

- Warcraft: Lord of the Clans by Christie Golden (it's good even if you're not familiar with Warcraft or don't like it; my nongaming mom read it and liked it)

- Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

- Dune by Frank Herbert

- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

- Gifts by Ursula K. le Guin

And there's probably a bunch more I could mention but can't think of at the momet.

A few of my favorites...

- The Oath by Frank Peretti

- The Visitation by Frank Peretti

- This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti

- Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti

- Prophet by Frank Peretti

- The Bible

- Tom Clancy's books.

- The Outsiders by S.E Hinton wasn't that bad (had to read it for school...)

- The Dictionary

- The Complete Book of Running by Runner's World (?)

Those are only a few that I can think of off the top of my head...

Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follet. Best book ever written.

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy is a good book, though a little on the slow side.

If you're looking for Star Wars, I'd say the Thrawn Trilogy is probably the best set of Star Wars books you can find. Better than the Yuzhan Vong ****e that's been published in recent years.

I'm also into the Doctor Who New Series Adventures, as well as the Torchwood novels. Though if you don't watch the shows, you may find the books harder to follow.

Since you liked 1984, you must read "animal farm" by the same author. Anything by Douglas Adams and Tom Holt, both are perfect when you need good kick in your sanity.

Paul Arden's "Whatever you think, think the opposite" is a highly entertaining book that teaches why it's best to make the wrong decisions.

In random order:

- Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

I think we're soulmates.... :xp:

I'll wholeheartedly second this, and add books 2-8...

Speaker for the Dead

Xenocide

Children of the Mind

Ender's Shadow

Shadow of the Hegemon

Shadow Puppets

Shadow of the Giant, all by Orson Scott Card.

_EW_

EDIT:: Oh yeah, and as Samuel Dravis wrote, there are a bunch more OSC novels - Empire comes to mind (military fiction) and Lost Boys (thriller and the main character's a computer programmer :D) and of course Dune by Frank Herbert is always a good read.

I've read just about every novel by Isaac Asimov that I could get my hands on. These should be required reading for any fan of SciFi.

I highly recommend The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, and Robots of Dawn (haven't read the last one yet, but I'm sure it's just as good ;)), which I think are usually overlooked, compared to I, Robot or the Foundation Series.

I highly recommend The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, and Robots of Dawn (haven't read the last one yet, but I'm sure it's just as good ;)), which I think are usually overlooked, compared to I, Robot or the Foundation Series.

Don't forget Robots and Empire, the last robot novel and the book that ties all of his series together. It's got to be one of the best if not the best book he ever wrote.

Fantasy: Sabriel - Garth Nix, Faith of the Fallen - Terry Goodkind, LotR and The Silmarillion - Tolkien, The Hero and the Crown - Robin McKinley, On a Pale Horse - Piers Anthony, many others.

Scifi: Harvest of Stars - Poul Anderson, Virtually anything ever written by Asimov (his short stories are great), The Bolo series created by Keith Laumer, Wyrms / A Planet Called Treason / Ender's Game / anything - Orson Scott Card, Dune - Frank Herbert, The Uplift War / Earth - David Brin, Anything by Douglas Adams (including Dirk Gently stuff ^_^), Artifact - Gregory Benford, David Weber's Honor series, The Dispossessed / The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K Leguin

Fiction: Bulfinches' Mythology, Till We Have Faces - CS Lewis, Demian / Narcissus and Goldmund / Siddhartha - Herman Hesse, The epic of Gilgamesh, Watership Down - Richard Adams, The Ghost from the Grand Banks - Arthur C Clarke

Short Stories: Rescue Party - Arthur C Clarke, Any of the Azazel stories by Asimov

SW books: Heir to the Empire / Dark Force Rising / The Last Command - Timothy Zahn, X-Wing: Rogue Squadron - Michael A Stackpole, X-Wing: Wraith Squadron - Aaron Allston

I have a lot more but it's harder to pick between those. :D

Archived