Home

Epic music

Arcesious

What kind of 'epic' pieces have you heard that you like? I'm talking the really bold, powerful ones. So far, I haven't heard anything more 'epic' than 'O Fortana' by Carl Orff. http://www.last.fm/music/Carl+Orff/_/O+Fortuna

So, what are your favorite 'Epic Masterpieces'? IE, the coolest, most powerful songs you've ever heard? Doesn't really matter what genre of music it's from, although I wouldn't call rap and whatnot 'epic'.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whitesnake, Still of the Night

G'N'R, Estranged

Saxon, LionHeart

Vast, Last One Alive

Tenacious D, Tribute

Damn I've herd hundreds of thousands of songs in my life, I'll have to think about it a bit more :)

by Clint Mansell is bar none the most epic piece I've ever heard. You could be making a PB&J sandwich and feel like a badass if this song is on.

QFT

Every song composed by Gustav Holst John Williams and Howard Shore.

:xp:

Angel of Death from Epica's The Score "album" is one of the most epic songs out there, too.

Requiem for a Tower by Clint Mansell is bar none the most epic piece I've ever heard. You could be making a PB&J sandwich and feel like a badass if this song is on.[/Quote]

While I do like the piece, i'm sick of hearing it. It's overused, and overexposed.

If I have to hear it used in another movie trailer, TV program, or god forbid, X Factor/Britain's Got Talent phone vote, I think i'll strangle myself.

My own 'epic' tracks would be pretty much anything by John Williams (can he do anything over than epic?), Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings soundtracks (especially the Gondorian themes), and, of course, Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.

What kind of 'epic' pieces have you heard that you like? I'm talking the really bold, powerful ones. So far, I haven't heard anything more 'epic' than 'Oh Fortana' by Carl Orff. http://www.last.fm/music/Carl+Orff/_/O+Fortuna

So, what are your favorite 'Epic Masterpieces'? IE, the coolest, most powerful songs you've ever heard? Doesn't really matter what genre of music it's from, although I wouldn't call rap and whatnot 'epic'.

A pedant writes: That's "O, Fortuna". :)

Aside from the Exsultet by Venantius Fortunatus, the plainchant Salve Regina, Regina Caeli and Missa Orbis Factor:

by Giovanni Perluigi da Palestrina

Miserere mei, Deus by Grigorio Allegri/Tommaso Baj

Coronation Anthem No. 1 - Zadok The Priest, by George Frideric Handel

, attributed to J.S. Bach, although the authorship is disputed.

Libera Me, Domine, from the Requiem in B Minor by Gabriel Fauré

, by Charles-Marie Widor

Forgot a few more favorites of mine:

Mars, Bringer of War - Holst

Triumphal March of Aida - Verdi

In the Hall of the Mountain King - Grieg

and of course, the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky. I'm surprised no-one mentioned that before.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention Jerry Goldsmith's work on Star Trek, especially the Next Generation and movie themes

To know that one is a TMBG fan is to know a part of their soul and to have a true understanding of their personality.

More TMBG Suggested Retail Viewing:

I may have to steal you away from Dath so that you might become my secret apprentice, Ave. I have much to show you.

Also epic: Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria: It's almost like Rush-meets-Metallica prog metal. Also has an awesome guitar riff. 'nuff said.

Epic drinking game: Take a shot every time you hear a pinch harmonic (or a "sqealer") in this :^: song.

Hint: You'd be dead from alcohol poisoning, theres 49 in a 6-minute song :xp:. First one is at 13-14 seconds into the song.

Archived