Home

Darth Title?

Zayne Carrick

I've thought about this too - initially entertaining the probably vain hope that we will be offered the 'Darth' honour if/when attaining the rank of Sith Lord, but thinking back to KotOR, it wasn't actually all that prevalent. Seemed to be only the Dark Lord and his apprentice that took the title. There were Darths Revan, Malak, and Bandon, but then various other high-ranking Sith keeping 'normal' names - like Jorak Uln, Uthar Wynn, etc.

So my guess is that it will be the Emperor - if he is not simply referred to as 'the Emperor' or 'Emperor [whatever]' - and his apprentice.

I'm worried about what the naming conventions will be like for this MMO, to be honest. I'm hoping there will be severe restrictions, up to and including the inability to name your character "Darth" anything, as well as forbidding the use of numbers or irregular capitalisation (hopefully eliminating the ability to use "leet speak" names), famous/recurring names from the franchise itself (ie Skywalker, Solo, Katarn, etc.), and so forth. People should be forced to select realistic, individual names. Dumbing down the naming conventions to target the pre-teen dumbass demographic will only serve to alienate those of us who's faith in MMOs was shattered by the likes of Runescape. -_-

I think that Darth will be restricted to NPCs only, or at least it should be. 'Darth' is supposedly a short version of Dark Lord of the Sith - which is why there's only ever a few at a time.

I don't want to see hundreds of 'Darths' running around. It'd get real old real fast.

Story-wise: Either the Emperor alone or nobody at all, I think. The Sith of old didn't use the Darth title (see Marka Ragnos, Naga Sadow, Ludo Kressh, Simus, etc.), so if the Emperor continues the old tradition, he won't be using it.

Gameplay-wise: I hope no player can use the title in his name. Wouldn't make sense story-wise, I think.

I'd be surprised to see the Darth title in this game at all. These Sith apparently descended from the original Sith Empire which predates the title, so I think it would make sense for it to not appear in the game.

As for players being able to get the Darth title... I don't think there's any chance of LA/Bioware letting players become Darths, for the simple fact that there's no chance even 1% of said hypothetical Darth candidates would think of decent names.

I'd be surprised to see the Darth title in this game at all. These Sith apparently descended from the original Sith Empire which predates the title, so I think it would make sense for it to not appear in the game.

On the other side it wouldn't be the first time they (Bioware) would sacrifice the "realistic" for the fun factor, story and gameplay-wise.

Why not link an in-game achievement too it?

WoW has severak epically difficult achievements which earn you a title like Leroy* in front of your name. But you can also score 'Keeper of An'Qarai.'**

*=A fun title. Leroy has a famous video on the net in which he deliberately ruins a raid by releasing 50+ dragons from their eggs instead of focussing on the main boss. You get the tile if, yes, you kill all the dragons in that room. Which is easily done if you plan it.

**=World event. The whole sever was making equipment, delivering it too the warmasters before this dungeon opened. Horde and Alliance united. Eventually, one player was chosen to create the Scepter of An'Qarai and remove the seal in an epic NPC and Player fought battle.

So. How to claim the Darth title.

The first will make sure there will be about 20% of the people running around with it.

The second example will only have 3 or 4 Darth's running around, with each world event opening.

So....many Darths of almost no Darths at all?

And how about the Jedi Master title?

Darth Sion? Darth Traya? Darth Malak, Darth Nihilus, Darth Revan?

I don't see the title being out of place at all, you shouldn't get it soon as you start as a sith but through some difficult tasks it should be attainable.

It'ss not out of place per se, but that shows how it seems mainly to be reserved for the Dark Lord (or the Triumvirs) and their Apprentice. We already know that there is a Dark Lord, and presumably there will be an apprentice.

And any quest in a game, no matter how difficult, can eventually be surmounted, whether by planning, co-operation, or consulting a walkthrough. It wouldn't necessarily prevent servers being clogged with several thousand 'Darths'. I think it should be kept for the Dark Lord and Apprentice, personally, a shame though it is. It would be nice to earn the title, but seeing everyone else with it at one time or another would ruin it a little...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I agree with most of you about titles and names for TOR. I will for sure get bored being surrounded by countless Darths or Masters during the game. I totally agree that titles, such as Jedi Knight, Master, Grand Master, Sith Lord, Darth, etc., are given under a game achievement basis. Only a low percentage of total gamers running around will have a title, which is also not so crazy or unreallistic.

Remember that Old Republic times were different than what we know so far. There were many Jedi and Sith, even two Jedi Councils at the same time (Coruscant and Dantooine). I am ok with a population of maybe a hundred Jedi Masters and a hundred Dark Lords at the same time, and thousands of low level ranking Jedi and Sith.

Regarding names, even I know this will be really difficult to achieve, I also hope Bioware can control and restrict character naming during character creation, not only forbidding the use of famous names but also common names. I think I will drop my character and close my account if I ever God-forbid-it run into some Jedi Master John or Darth Jessica.

If anything the title should only be given with a pre-chosen name. Like when you receive the title you will also receive a name to go with it, thus preventing names like Darth Coolio!

But in my personal opinion I think that the title should only be given at the very end if the player chooses 'Sith' and if the story line allows the player to defeat the Emperor.

If anything the title should only be given with a pre-chosen name. Like when you receive the title you will also receive a name to go with it, thus preventing names like Darth Coolio!

I know many MMO-types who would purchase the game purely for that option :)

(Unfortunately I can't count myself)

I Think the title should relate to your skills, as said before, and Master and Lord (rather than Darth) should be a quest you must undertake separately after maxing character, solo, like some kind of trials, which should also be implemented for Knight status earlier on in your progression. Thats one thing that sucks about Galaxies, the titles dont fit right, you dont get the title Jedi apprentice until your nearly maxed, and you get Jedi master title automatically at level 90, but in fact at level 90 your game starts, and your quest to get all the clothing, jewelry and buffs to make you worthy of that title has only just begun

I don't think players should have the title of "Darth", or it's million variants, such as D'arth, D''arth, Darrth, Ddaarrtthh, Dar'th, etc....

Of course, you're probably going to have a bunch of people claiming to be the son of Revan, Anakin's (however many greats) grandfather, or to one up that, Ann'i'kin Skyyyyyywalk'er (followed by an even worse backstory that makes flow-walking sound like a novel idea), making the concerns of "Darth" an insignifcant issue.

I hope this game doesn't use it because: a. this group of Sith is an extension of the remnants of the Old Sith Empire, which had nothing to do with Revan's empire and where the title did not exist, and 2. the title, while pretty cool for a while, is now becoming extremely redundant and worn thin. Although I hate Kevin J. Anderson's work, looking back now, there's something extremely cool about having these Sith characters who carry their birth names and lack the Darth title. It was cool, but now it's getting stupid. Give us something new (or revive something old in order to alleviate this now-dull trend).

Though I totally expect them to cave and calls all of their Sith Darths to appease the fanboys. I've already talked about how let down I was by what they have revealed the "true Sith" to be in the other thread: basically no different whatsoever from any other Sith we have known up till now, so I'm not expecting any noble deviations to make things interesting in a non-fanboy way.

Archived