Home

So... what are you reading right now?

Pavlos

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reading Journey Into Darkness ( the book about the wrestler Kane)

Very interesting! I read the books on Foley, Flair, Hogan and Rock. On the last three, it felt a bit like time wasted, to be honest...but Foley's books - especially Foley is Good - were brilliant, in my opinion. They seemed a lot more real than the others...

I'm still reading Master & Commander when I get time free from reading course texts. It is true that it helps to have a good operational knowledge of an 18th/19th cent. sloop (which I don't have :( but there is a handy drawing at the front), but it is still a great read!

Wait, did they finaly end it when the author croacked? In that case here is what happens in each book untill the final book, read once for each book you haven't read, except the last one, then read the last one.

WARNING: if you find the wheel of time to be a serie of unpredictable masterpieces, with fantastic plot twists, kindly dont see below, instead, see a psychiatrist.

Magic guy: jugles three girls successfully, kills/defeats another bad magic guy at the end of the book.

Wolf guy: is unsuccessfully jugling two girls, but manage to set things straight with the "right" one in the end while doing some minor heroic deed.

Smart/looser guy: is jugling no girls, yet end up in deep ****t because of one/some, also fails at setting things straight with said girl(s), fails to get away from the mess that surounds magick guy, yet end up failing/creating his own personal mess.

Whor, err, sexually liberated yet sterotypical girls who shoot lightning: Despite spending 90% of the book working to get/getting saved by/looking at/sleeping with/killing others who look at/sleep with the men they love, they end up saving the other men/doing something which will save the men in the next book.

Finished Kafka's "The Trial" a few weeks ago, and also finished "This Fleeting World" by David Christian last week (non-fiction), which gives an (compact) overview of Human history, not from a western viewpoint but from a "worldly" viewpoint. Started with "Digging up the Past" by John Collis, which is also non-fiction, and a good starting point to learn about excavations. I actually read them for my studies, but they're books, so they count, right? :)

Was trying to get into the "Twilight" Novel, I picked it up when I heard about the movie. I never made it passed the preface...I think I'll go through and re-read some of my old High School writings.

Was trying to get into the "Twilight" Novel, I picked it up when I heard about the movie. I never made it passed the preface...I think I'll go through and re-read some of my old High School writings.

Beware those sparkly vampires. :xp:

I'm still waiting for Amazon to deliver my copy of Marlborough: His Life and Times, by Winston Churchill, so for now i'm re-reading The Nizam's Daughters by Alan Mallinson.

It's about an aide to the Duke of Wellington going to India to handle some private business, which involves him being drawn into a war between two states.

Been reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami on Bee Hoon's recommendation and I'm completely engrossed. I find the writing style the best I've read in a long while and the novel itself is a masterpiece. Murakami's easily in my top 10 now. >.>

I didn't kno u wuz liek all postmodern bee

I'm reading the graphic novel Watchmen, which is very good so far, as well as Ulysses by James Joyce. I might also be reading some of Re Joyce by Anthony Burgess (given to me by a friend) while trying to comprehend the latter...

You're not meant to comprehend it. Simply roll over and drown, your screams muffled by the pages that form a fold on your lip. Joyce falls apart at the seams... rather like this dog.

Modernism is like swimming in a beautiful lake and then touching the sea-bed with the tip of your toe and finding yourself reciting Geoffrey Chaucer in a field, standing atop a hovering cow. Modernists (a.k.a. people who are too clever for their own good) like to push the boundary of what's coherent and acceptable: why post-modernism is simply a failed off-shoot of a great literary movement.

Excuse me while I go and stick something sharp into Tracy Emin.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm continuing Kurt Vonnegut, currently reading Breakfast of Champions. To be honest, I don't find it as good as his two A+ works, Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five, but it's still a read.

Also resuming the Old Testament, and reading the Book of Judges. Genocide is always fun.

Finished Breakfast of Champions, onto Neuromancer by William Gibson, the cyberpunk classic. I saw Blade Runner a few weeks ago and am playing System Shock 2 now, so I'm in a totally cyberpunk mood. >_<

Reminds me a lot of the only other Gibson novel I've read The Difference Engine, and so it's a pleasant read.

Archived