Home

OMG! Something freaky just happened!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Freaky stuff. (I definitely shouldn't have read it at this late hour)

Aaaanyway, I do remember one extremely freaky thing that happened to me a couple of years back. It was sometime past midnight, I was home alone, watching TV and at some point I dozed off in my chair. Next thing I remember was hearing a whispering voice saying my name. Needless to say I jumped out of the friggin' chair and checked and rechecked the entire apartment. In the end I attributed it to exhaustion and imagination and went to bed. Never happened again, but it still freaks me out to remember it.

For my senior project I made an N2 laser as some of you know.

During the preparations on this particular evening, however, I had to mess with it a bit. During my testing, for some odd reason, the power inverter decided it was not going to power my home made device, so instead its hot output arced to a random spot on the wooden table.

What happened next I'm not so sure I can describe accurately: The arc "impact" point seemed to be collecting the electrical energy almost like a blob of water with a small stream feeding into it...the "blob" isn't a completely accurate description either. Its behavior was "blob"-ish, but it consisted of a cross of electricity and fire to the best I could tell. It was like it was trying to become a sphere. It had a purple-blue-orange-pink-grey color swirling about it. About the size of a regular size marble.

I turned it off after about 5-10 seconds because I thought the table would catch on fire. Checked afterwards. There was very little scoring. A pin prick size burn, which is strange. Have not been able to replicate it since.

I am not a physicist so I couldn't tell you what I did. I can only offer theories, and similarities observed or described...if anyone cares. I don't know what I actually did, but it was pretty cool..

An impending electrical discharge can easily generate a plasma (essentially what ball lightning is, and also why the air just before a lightning strike becomes charged and sulphurous), I'd say the only thing preventing you from being immediately electrocuted and quite seriously was a pair of thick soled shoes, carpet and wooden floorboards, but it wouldn't have done so for much longer.

Freaky effects with electricity are usually the last warning you get. You were very lucky GTA.

There was some kind of earthing point where the centre of the table, probably metal brackets fastening the legs. It is actually the earth which draws positive charge, what happens is a plasma forms at the earth point and then an electrical discharge arcs to it.

If your hair stands on end when standing anywhere near an electrical appliance for example you need to get out of the vicinity immediately and shut off the power, then get the appliance checked.

You need to make sure the electrical supply to your homemade device is properly earthed. Get it looked over by an expert mate, before you hurt yourself or someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

After a while of enduring the crazy ****, they will bring paranormal investigators in on it if the problems don't stop after a certain amount of time has passed. Some of the time it turns out to be nothing more than a old house falling apart - small earthquakes or animals living in the walls, attics, etc. But sometimes it turns out to be something that can't be explained no matter what investigators try to do to debunk the "my house is freak'in haunted" claim.

So anyway if freak incidents like that continue to happen around your house, well just keep a video camera ready and try to capture them on video if you can. It always helps in backing up your claims. :)

You've got to be kidding me...that's in the same league as the Vatican's "exorcism department" to me :lol: Paranormal investigators = charlatans making a living out of people's beliefs/fears. I always lol when my mom used to talk about the "ghost" who was humming at night in one of our previous houses that was 200yrs old...I must have been about 8-9 yrs old but I clearly remember being "that ghost" :p (even if I was apparently sleeping like an "angel" when she checked...and more than once! ) I told her only last year after more than 25 yrs (the fun had to last)...you should have seen her face :lol:

small earthquakes or animals living in the walls, attics
You don't even need that to get noises. Houses as any other buildings continue to "work" by themselves and so does the land underneath. A screw or nail supporting a frame that has been in place for many yrs can also give up (happens regularly)...children are not to be excluded either :o

Anyway, scariest thing that ever happened to me was spending a few hours with a knife on my throat in the middle of nowhere and I swear it was no ghost....being in a plane that had lost its engines comes close second (I am in no hurry of becoming a ghost!).

I always thought the dead were less dangerous than the living...Keep the ghosts coming :p

well there was no pan and i checked the bedrooms. all 9 siblings were asleep. my parents were gone on a trip.
Seems to me that with 9 siblings there is a high margin error...mom only had one kid to check on and it took her 25 yrs to realize she that had been fooled :dev8:

You've got to be kidding me

I Kid You Not Ma'am :eyeraise:BEWARE! BEWARE! There everywhere!

Yeah, I'm kidding.....seriously................what? LOL. Don't look at me like that. :D

...you should have seen her face :lol:

Hmmmm, was it something like this?

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
picture.php?albumid=434&pictureid=4139
And I bet her response was: Wwwhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaat! On no you didn't!

Your poor, poor dear mother...ssshhhhammnne own you Darth333. :tsk:

Well this didn't happen at my house, but one of my best friend's house (i think you know him SR, his name is Rueben Shan on here) but anyway, we were up watching tv, he was on my laptop playing KotOR and then the strangest thing happened, the floors started creeking, so we looked up at the hallway and there was a man that neither of us had ever seen before walking down his hallway, then we called out to his mom and she came running, but by the time the guy had reached the living room, he had just... disappeared. My mom believes in the paranormal and so does his mom, so they both believe us... but it was some freaky ****.

Spot on! :dev8:

She laughs about it and makes fun of me now :p

Wwweeell that'll learn ya! :D In the words of Jolee Bindo: "Respect your elders child."

Aaaaah yes...mothers, gotta love them. :hugs:

Scavengerman....your house is possessed, get the hell out of there..for godsakes! :eyepop

*Purifier whispers* GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

An impending electrical discharge can easily generate a plasma (essentially what ball lightning is, and also why the air just before a lightning strike becomes charged and sulphurous), I'd say the only thing preventing you from being immediately electrocuted and quite seriously was a pair of thick soled shoes, carpet and wooden floorboards, but it wouldn't have done so for much longer.

Hmm. Well I was on my parents' house deck. It was wooden. My mentor for the project also suggested my steel toed boots could present a problem to that effect as well. :p No carpet either.

Ball lightning? :eek: ...Ok, I guess I need to stop being in denial. Proud as I may be of my N2 laser attempt, I don't like to brag about this odd little mishap. I do admit, though:

-I heard a an electrical physics PhD on Coast to Coast describe ball lightning very similar to what I remembered happening, but it was so late I merely brushed it off as "hearing things" thinking "I *couldn't* have done it on accident!"

-You're #3 of persons I've engaged with who have said that as well.

-Books offering similar descriptions on electrical plasma arcs

Freaky effects with electricity are usually the last warning you get. You were very lucky GTA.
Agreed. Oh, I wasn't *about* to wait and find out what would happen. Though perhaps a fool, I'm no idiot.

Also attribute averting it to

1) good training from my mentor (He _is_ an electronics engineer with a master's after all. -possibly a PhD by now-)

2) in the months prior I'd had a few electrical mishaps, most of them minor though one was a potentially life threatening hit with an arc welder--so a bit gun shy

3) the supply itself being a very low current level. Possibly underpowered in these circumstances.

In case you are curious: Integral brand neon sign tansformer inverter (normally for england/europe, but was a nice ebay find)

Input: 220VAC 50Hz (I suspect wide compliance--I was only using 125Vac @ 60Hz!)

Output: 20KV 10mA 15Khz

Heavy duty "brick" type potted with hard heavy dielectric back epoxy.

There was some kind of earthing point where the centre of the table, probably metal brackets fastening the legs. It is actually the earth which draws positive charge, what happens is a plasma forms at the earth point and then an electrical discharge arcs to it.

That is my thought. The metal frame supporting the table b/c large metal objects make good earth/ground when you'r away from natural earth ground.

Further supported by the fact: The deck I was on was ~2 feet off the ground, held by 15 beams with concrete piers at their bases. So yeah, it was actually electrically "floating". But I didn't have any other option of where to work but outside.

I theorize the wooden table had a strong enough dielectric to hold it back, albeit not for long.

Similar phenomena I have observed are:

1) plasma cutter "blade" --looked similar behaved somewhat like the 'impact spot'

2) a plasma "globe" where the streams are impacting the glass all over--this is like a miniaturized and controlled version of what I did.

If your hair stands on end when standing anywhere near an electrical appliance for example you need to get out of the vicinity immediately and shut off the power, then get the appliance checked.

If it didn't go according to plan, that's about all you can do. --And eliminate possibilities of recurrences before trying again. Which I did.

You need to make sure the electrical supply to your homemade device is properly earthed. Get it looked over by an expert mate, before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Oh, believe me, I sure did. Mind you this was several years ago, friend. (The device is long since sitting in my shed). That night, I didn't bother firing it back up again, though. That was for damn sure.

My mentor was baffled. So we had a little time later that week to find...more adequate testing grounds. That must have been it.

Thankfully the laser was fine. The NST wasn't behaving erratically anymore. But for safe measure, I kept a 30 lb I-beam section and 2 thick wires each with clips on each end for "portable grounding".

The laser itself hardly worked b/c of gas pressures and temperatures being far from desirable. Occasionally it did. My mentor swears he saw its beam zap my hand, but I didn't feel anything and the round "sunburn" could have come from anything--like the sun.

• 4 months later...

Archived