Home

They don't make games like theese anymore

mur'phon

Or at least you don't think so.

Ever played a a game you found amazing (or amazing gimmick anyway), only to be shocked that there are no other games of this kind being made anymore? Post it here, and ramble as much as you feel you need to. What constitutes "a kind of game" is of course entirely subjective, so if someone for example thinks that Halo 1 is a kind of game they don't make anymore, they are free to ramble about it while the rest of the forum (after pointing out the existence of 1 gazillion similar games) happily ignores them.

For me, Deus Ex (1 and 2) was the closest thing to how I want my FPS games (with guns) to be. In addition to having a good story, what I constantly find myself hating developers for not doing more is the amount of choice you had in how to complete a mission. With multiple routes to your target and multiple possible options to how you get past enemies depending on your implants and skills (in 1), doing a second play through meant more than "this time I'll rape kittens". Now, I know there is going to be a DE 3, however since information about it has been rather sparse, whether it will be "this kind of game" remains to be seen.

Any of the Descent games are essentially obsolete by now, and this also extends to the rest of the flight and space sim gamut. That's why we aren't going to see a successor to the X-Wing series, unless if it's grossly simplified for the teeming masses.

Turn-based RPGs are also dead, save for any indie title that happens to escape development hell and actually turns a profit.

Real art direction is also more or less extinct; when a game isn't copying some gritty, photo-realistic firefight, it's trying to recreate a cartoon-esque feel, with little success. It's definitely changing, starting with indie titles, but the big publishers are slowly starting to take notice, and they're becoming more artistically creative each baby step at a time.

Any of the Descent games are essentially obsolete by now, and this also extends to the rest of the flight and space sim gamut. That's why we aren't going to see a successor to the X-Wing series, unless if it's grossly simplified for the teeming masses.

We did. It's called the Rogue Squadron series.

I've always thought that Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 were phenomenal RPG games that Atari has tried to replicate since acquiring the DnD license and failed to do so. Their characters were good, their stories were excellent, and the gameplay was top notch for their time.

Tachyon: The Fringe.

It isn't really a household name as it came out right at the end of space flight sim games popularity, but it was great. Nice gameplay and an awesome story that gave you one of two paths to follow.

Oh, and the main character was voiced my Bruce Campbell.

It was a fun game and I still have to go back and play it now and then. I really miss space fighter sims. Darkstar One was a nice trip down Memory Lane recently, but that's about it in the past ten years or so.

I think there's always a degree of rose tinted glasses when looking back on games from the days of yore. I know a few times I've dragged out some old classics and been quite surprised at how far they truly were from my idyllic memories of them.

I agree on the ultimate passing of the turn-based RPG, except perhaps outside the occasional JRPG. Everything is all about in your face action these days it seems. It's a shame, as I still see there being a place for turn-based amidst all the mainstream flashy graphical whizz-bangery.

Of newish games that have taken a path less travelled, I enjoyed Portal, even if it was a bit short. As has been said though, most new games that try something a bit different are going to come from indie devs. The big boys like EA and Activision want to stick with the easy money. That means a glut of FPSs, annual sport franchises, and gimmicky music games.

Deus Ex (1 and 2)

Oh god, 2 was crap.

I think there's always a degree of rose tinted glasses when looking back on games from the days of yore. I know a few times I've dragged out some old classics and been quite surprised at how far they truly were from my idyllic memories of them.
Even though I haven't played many 'prehistoric' games, I always suspect people to exaggerate a bit when it comes to these classics. When I play some of these oldtimers, I'm not always convinced I got the right picture when people told me about it. But I guess it also has to do with the fact that I'm used to a more modern approach to games which makes it more difficult for me to appreciate these older games.

In any case, what comes to mind is The Longest Journey. I'm not exactly quite in the loop these days, but I'm still pretty much convinced that they don't make adventure games like they used to, and certainly not with the themes that that game presented. I'm prepared (or hoping) to stand corrected, though.

I'm playing Ace Combat 6 right now. While it is an amazingly fun game, it makes me pine for the days of real combat flight sims. I mean, I can use my afterburner for the whole mission right now!

And that extends to space flight sims like the X-Wing series. I miss shifting shield power to engines. :(

Shadow Warrior

No shooters come close anymore :(

Fixed. ;)

Duke's Engine but it had hotties with Uzi's... and the best weapons you can get!

Katana "I like sword... its a personal weapon!"

Uzi and Dual Uzi's "Be proud Mr. Wu!"

A Gatling Shotgun "Hehehehehe"

Heat seeking Rocket Launcher that had a Nuke Option "I like BIG weapons!"

Damn good MP capabilities for the time too...

I miss those good times with ol' Lo Wang! :(

Fixed. ;)

Duke's Engine but it had hotties with Uzi's... and the best weapons you can get!

Katana "I like sword... its a personal weapon!"

Uzi and Dual Uzi's "Be proud Mr. Wu!"

A Gatling Shotgun "Hehehehehe"

Heat seeking Rocket Launcher that had a Nuke Option "I like BIG weapons!"

Damn good MP capabilities for the time too...

I miss those good times with ol' Lo Wang! :(

I require this game immediately

I think Metal Gear Solid is far and away one of the best games made in its day. I remember it being the sole reason I bought a PS2 at the time only to be converted to Xbox by Halo later on. At the time though MGS's story and gameplay were first rate and kept me hooked until the last plot twist.

i will never forget games like FEAR, System Shock 2, and Aliens vs Predator 2 (at least the human campaign, anyway). why?? because they're the only FPS games that took the time to inject some seriously well thought out scare tactics into all the action. the FPS genre is just brimming to the hilt with potential to make it a viable horror genre given how limited your field of view is and how immersive it can be.

the problem is that just about every dev out there wants to do something with either WWII or space marines and then have everything revolve around the firefight. few devs even try to interject scare tactics into the equation, and fewer still manage to get it right.

I think Metal Gear Solid is far and away one of the best games made in its day. I remember it being the sole reason I bought a PS2 at the time only to be converted to Xbox by Halo later on. At the time though MGS's story and gameplay were first rate and kept me hooked until the last plot twist.

The intro to that game is just like a movie...I was blown away by it.

I miss shifting shield power to engines. :(

While simultaneously increasing your laser recharge rate, ordering your wingmen to disable a target, and using the complicated keyboard shortcuts to dock with a freight box.

That's complicated, and that's beauty of X-Wing. :D

We could use a few more of those games around these days.

MGS is quite possibly the best game ever made in history

Until Duke Nukem Forever comes out... :/

Until the creation of Supreme Commander, this was an opinion I always held of Total Annihilation. Starcraft, Warcraft, Command and Conquer, these were all so much more limited in scope, there you played a tiny fraction of the much larger war. Total Annihilation really gave you the feeling that you were playing not just a small edge of the conflict, but a whole important battle in the war. And it did so simply because of it's well developed design. It had little to no plot, no narration, voice-acting, or cool cut-scenes, it was just good.

I would also like to support Homeworld(and 2). Nobody has done space combat anywhere near the same quality in an RTS game. Almost every space-RTS treats space-ships and boats floating on a giant, flat puddle of space. Only in Homeworld(and 2) could you do such awesome things as point your ships directly downward and attack not just from the left and right, but from any angle you could think of.

• 1 month later...
I think there's always a degree of rose tinted glasses when looking back on games from the days of yore.

Yep. This applies to many things! One generation always tells another that "X" from their era was better than "Y" from the current era. Cars, clothes, racism, hand built fine workmanship vs automated construction etc

Forming positive lasting memories associated with a particular game will resonate with us throughout time.

For me - XWA and Xw vs Tie/Balance of Power was easily my first jaw dropping experience on a pc. Then it was when I played JO/JA, then KOTOR >> You can probably dig back into earlier posts from older members here and catch us getting excited about older games.

I very clearly remember our very own Prime being very excited about speeder jumping in Jedi Academy, or my post where I illustrated using my JA disc as a coaster because KOTOR was so awesome.

Now it's games like Mass Effect, Bioshock, COD/MW and Assassins Creed that are making lasting impressions in peoples minds.

The folks that are just coming into gaming now and just know ME and AC etc will tell a group of younger folks in 10 years time that games just arent as cool as like when ME and AC were out ;)

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what Tibetan mystics were thinking of when they were coming up with the wheel of life :p

mtfbwya

Deus Ex (1 and 2) was the closest thing to how I want my FPS games (with guns) to be. In addition to having a good story' date=' what I constantly find myself hating developers for not doing more is the amount of choice you had in how to complete a mission. With multiple routes to your target and multiple possible options to how you get past enemies depending on your implants and skills[/quote']

Well put. 100% agreed.

I recently got Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight working on my macbook, and I'd almost forgotten how great that game was. The level design is one of the most intelligent I've seen, really making you feel like you're in the middle of a huge cityscape, or in the underbelly of a starship. The FMV scenes might be a little cheesy, but they really made you feel like you were part of a great story.

Archived