Home

New Star Wars Animated Comedy Series Announced

Astrotoy7

Another SW Cartoon?

OK. before you all get in the combi van and go join Groovy's TCW Hate Commune, reading who will be involved may make it quite interesting to some.

Basically, it looks like the folks from Robot Chicken and a few others have been blessed by Ole George to go ahead and make a SW Comedy Animation.

Imagine something like Harvey Birdman done to the SW Universe :thmbup1:.

Quote from official announcement at starwars.com

"Lucasfilm Animation is currently developing an all-new animated Star Wars series, focusing its efforts on the comedic aspects of the "galaxy far, far away." Featuring creative involvement from Seth Green and Matthew Senreich, creators and executive producers of the Emmy and Annie Award-winning Robot Chicken, as well as writing from The Daily Show's Brendan Hay, the series will look at the Saga's characters with a playful and irreverent tone. The series will be produced by Daytime Emmy and Gemini Award-winner Jennifer Hill (The Backyardigans), and directed by Emmy-nominated Todd Grimes (Back at the Barnyard)."

mtfbwya

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*consults magic 8-ball*

"Outlook does not look good."

I didn't know you put much stock in clairvoyance Q.

Didnt like the Robot Chicken Star Wars Specials?

This one just freaked me out with the funneh

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

And so many other awesome moments. If the new animated series can get anywhere near that, it's going to be great ;)

Like Tony Montana says:

"give it a chance mang" :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

Yes, the Robot Chicken Star Wars specials were awesome. I guess that I should have been more clear, but I think that this was better off as an occasional special instead of a series. My fear is that they'll run out of material and it will cease to be awesome or even amusing.

I'm already well inside the TCW hate Van, in fact I'd be willing to commit crime because of it... but, this could be the more adult Star Wars I've been pining for since TCW reared its infantile noggin. fingers crossed :)

The ONLY positive thing about this is it probably doesn't take place in the Clone Wars...

Although...knowing Robot Chicken...clone jokes....

Until that real-action series is here, I feel the Star Wars is getting worse and worse up to a point where Yoda will appear on Sesame Street and Haden Christensen will star in a ballet/theater show about Vader.

Hell, you're the driver.

cmon, its Groovy's van man, though adamqd is definitely riding shotgun ;)

Personally, in particular due to the space and saber battles - I dont mind TCW at all. Yes. we'd all prefer it to look like the TOR cinematic, but that's not the intended audience is it ;)

mtfbwya

"What the hell is an aluminum falcon?" :lol:

This reminds me of a call my dispatchers sent me. A man lost the keys to his Aluminum. My boss and I figured he drove a tin can or something.

It was actually a Chevy Lumina, which we figured, but still got a kick out it.

we'd all prefer it to look like the TOR cinematic, but that's not the intended audience is it ;)

It's not about the intended audience, it's about cost. People don't have any idea how much time and money they spent just to make that trailer. Imagining a whole series is ridiculous...

It's not about the intended audience

From a 2008 interview with George Lucas

It's unusual for an animated film, because it's not really hardcore like say Beowulf and it's not a Pixar movie, so it kind of falls in between in this funny world where Star Wars is, which is kind of hard-edged but not really, sort of on the verge of PG-13, flips over once in a while, but sort of the high end of PG.

Seems like GL is stating the audience quite clearly here ;)

it's about cost

From another 2008 Interview with GL

... I'm going to do a hundred shows. I'm going to do it no matter what they [the networks] do, so obviously, I want it to stay on the air a long time.

When that interview was done 2 years ago, they were already writing season 3. We can already imagine that the final season is in the works as we speak. Being irreverent to the ratings shows that cost isn't his primary concern - I wouldn't imagine it would be ;) Dude's Loaded :D

People don't have any idea how much time and money they spent just to make that trailer.

If "people dont have an idea" how about you give us some idea then! Can you provide info on this exorbitant cost. I haven't been able to find anything. I haven't even been able to discern if that sub 3.5min animation was done by BioWare(most likely) as opposed to Lucas Animation (like TCW) Then we can put the cost of that against the time and cost of the planned 4+ series of TCW with 22 eps a season!

Imagining a whole series is ridiculous...

If George wanted it done, it would be done. There's nothing that says a series has to be 22 eps. They could go for 6x30 min episodes - or whatever the heck they wanted to.

Plus, that TOR sequence is almost ALL action. A series that is wanting to convey a story wont play like a videogame trailer non stop.

What is ridiculous is the fan foam that trailer created ; "zOMG b3TTA thAN teh m0Vi3!!" Sure it's cool.. but apart from showing some cool characters fightin' there's not much else to it scriptwise... and from a dialogue perspective - there's practically nothing.

mtfbwya

Seth Green: New Star Wars Series "Isn't Going To Suck"

Source: http://tv.ign.com/articles/108/1082220p1.html

can you provide info on this exorbitant cost. I havent been able to find anything ? Then we can put the cost of that against the time and cost of the planned 3 series of TCW with 22 eps a season!

It's common sense to know that a trailer like that was not cheap. All the movement and textures are hard to animate.

If George wanted it done, it would be done. There's nothing that says a series has to be 22 eps. They could go for 6x30 min episodes - or whatever the heck they wanted to.

Never said a series has to be 22 episodes.

Plus, that TOR sequence is ALL action. A series that is wanting to convey a story wont play like a videogame trailer non stop.

mtfbwya

My point remains. It's still harder to animate, in comparison to TCW.

My point remains. It's still harder to animate, in comparison to TCW.

Your point was about cost, in time and money.

You do not need to be a champ at autodesk apps to know that if your project has the financial clout to get the necessary staff for the necessary time, the actually difficult of the renders becomes increasingly irrelevant. If you have a limited team and a limited deadline, sure.

Dave Filoni always looks relaxed in his hat... Any other director on a 100 episode animation project would be much paler :D

104503_dave-filoni-talks-clone-wars.jpg

re-watching the TOR cinematic... the only difference I can see is that the TCW characterisations are very cartoony in comparison. The space and saber battle sequences in TCW can be just as involved - and no silly bullet-time slow downs either.

mtfbwya

I can't say that I'm "totally" excited for this series to come out, but then again Seth green is making is so that should be convincing enough for me to at least give this new show a try. And who knows, it might actually be great and surprise us.

Archived