Home

Sony network hacked

Totenkopf

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great, for once I get me a console...

As far as I know, there's nothing out of the ordinary in my case. I had no Credit Card number saved on my PSN account, so at least I'm not in for the worst. Some personal info is saved on my PSN account, however, and I'd like to change my password as soon as possible. Of course, I'll have to wait until PSN's back online. Fingers crossed nothing's compromised.

So far the most damaging aspect of this is the hit on Sony's reputation (which as far as PR and customer service is concerned, Sony's never been good at that anyway, putting it lightly). So even though I have a PSN account and my credit card info is on there, no I'm not worried in the least.

This is why I only use my pre-paid debit card online. Even if you have a credit card, I still recommend getting a pre-paid if you ever plan to use it online. The most anyone can steal from it is what you put on it.

You can buy them practically anywhere these days, at least in the U.S., but I believe they are available in most countries. They've really caught on the past few years.

This is why I only use my pre-paid debit card online. Even if you have a credit card, I still recommend getting a pre-paid if you ever plan to use it online. The most anyone can steal from it is what you put on it.

You can buy them practically anywhere these days, at least in the U.S., but I believe they are available in most countries. They've really caught on the past few years.

Or PayPal

Btw. I'm too lazy to read the OP links, but atm there is "no evidence" that cc information was taken, only things like names, addresses, other user info **** you can get on Facebook, so yeah, while there is no proof that cc info was taken, there's no proof it wasn't either...

Something like this makes me glad I have an Xbox instead. :D

While I have both, I gotta agree.. even before the 'hack' I definitely like the xbox better. Pretty much retired the PS3 to Folding. ;)

Speaking of xbox, Hulu Pus (the only other reason I used the PS3) just became available today. Seriously thinking about cancelling cable :xp: [/offtopic]

Btw. I'm too lazy to read the OP links, but atm there is "no evidence" that cc information was taken, only things like names, addresses, other user info **** you can get on Facebook, so yeah, while there is no proof that cc info was taken, there's no proof it wasn't either...

Not necessarily.

Admittedly, that does admit it could easily be a coincidence, but it's still going to worry a lot of PSN users.

Something like this makes me glad I have an Xbox instead. :D
No offense, but that's pretty stupid and ignorant. This could have just as easily happened to MS, or any company for that matter.

Not necessarily.

Admittedly, that does admit it could easily be a coincidence, but it's still going to worry a lot of PSN users.

There's also reports that 2.2 million PSN user's credit card details are up for sale. Dunno if it's credible but it adds to the PR nightmare for Sony XD.

This could have just as easily happened to MS, or any company for that matter.

To be honest.. I'd be surprised if someone didn't attempt it, especially now. If only to test the waters...

I'd imagine (read: hope) that the xbox devs will look in to their own security in anticipation of copycat attempts.

Dodged a bullet on this PS3 scare. My information was stored on their network.. but the card I had stored expired this month :lol:

Activated my replacement (with a different CCV code & stripe) just to make sure my 'hacked' card was rendered useless. Needless to say.. this one won't be stored on either xbox or psn accounts. Also contacted my card provider to update my account activity notifications just as a precaution. I'll deal with the extra emails. ;)

If you wanna look at this in the most positive way possible it has at least brought the subject of CC security to large scale media attention and likely has made other companies examine the strength of their security.

If you really wanna twist it in a positive manner, you could say that any CC info that was stored on PSN is basically hot potatoes now. With not only CC companies and Sony looking closely at it, but also government agencies such as the FBI. As a hacker you'd have to be either foolish or have Duke Nukem Balls of Steel to do anything with the info you just stole.

That's probably closer to blind reassurance though XD.

Sony has said that some PSN services will resume soon, and Kazuo Hirai, head of Playstation, has apologised personally for the outage and security breach.

to repay all psn users they will give users an hours spree on certain games where they can download certain games dlc for free.

-----------------speculation--------------------------

you saw it here first.

What, and lose even more money? Their share price has already reached an 8 month low.

Archived