Home

LucasArts Posters: The Revenge

Laserschwert

It's done! I've added three versions of the "Secret of Monkey Island" artwork to the project, each one in three different color versions (Regular, SEGA CD, FM Towns). Eventually I'm going to add versions with the marbled border as well, but this'll have to do for now.

SasP33A.png

HUGE thanks to Jake, who helped me to bring this project full-circle at last. MI1 and MI2 were the first posters I worked on, from which the LucasArts Posters project eventually was born. And now we finally have both artworks at amazing quality. So this is a major milestone!

g2sq8mv.jpg

SEFbw9p.jpg

x09YPjF.jpg

a8TVDD4.jpg

QrWCpRT.jpg

BMuzY76.jpg

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The recovered detail is staggering, and I appreciate having the options. When placed side by side, the first one is a bit warmed up for my tastes (though still valid and stunning) but the other two are Sophie's Choice for me. I never knew the FM Towns version turned that blueish hue into gray. I am being seduced in multiple directions!

They are only approximations, though. Both the SEGA CD and FM Towns version seemed to have a darkened sky on their boxes, which I didn't do for my versions, to keep things simple. There are other versions out there that have "interesting" coloring, but for most of them it looks more like sloppy work by the printers instead of creative decisions. I'm not sure why I felt these two qualified as options.

Edited by Laserschwert

On 10/21/2021 at 3:56 PM, QueZTone said:

That's incredible, amazing work Laserschwert! Looking forward to the version including logo!

Dare I ask if you have a cleaned up version of the MI SE collection cover where you use your latest ai restoration technique?

The version with the logo is already there. The one with the border is still in the making. 

Regarding the SE Collection artwork, I guess I need to tinker with it a bit more, as it isn't exactly suitable for printing it at poster size yet.

• Like 1

For completion, I've added several different versions of the MI1 and MI2 posters with their respective box borders. Sorry for going overboard with options, but these are the two most important games of this whole project.

FqIS34l.jpg

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's a mix of both. The MI1 marbling uses the scanned sides of the big box (when taking off the lid), upscaled with an AI model. I then utilized Photoshop's "content aware fill" to build a huge, seamless pattern out of those scans. So in this case it's not exactly what was scanned, but a new pattern built out of those shapes.

MI2 mixes a sandstone texture with the cracks and shading of the scanned game manual (the Korean version, if I remember correctly).

• Thanks 1

Looking good, Schwertsie!
Minor nitpick though, isn’t the colour of the title a little bit too purple-ish in the colour correction test? I’m also wondering if the contrast is dialled up a little too high.

Don’t see it as a critique though, I don’t know what your sources are, and I’m looking at it from a phone of all things. 😉

Ignore the logo for now. It will be color-corrected and cleaned up separately.... and ideally removed as an option. But that's obviously a big task. Color of the artwork itself on the other hand is very hard to pin down, as all sources look different. The only image on the web of the textless artwork looks like this:

ELmVJQO.png

It's almost as dark as a renaissance painting, so there's no definitive answer here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

They did ask for your permission, didn't they?

Nope. I guess this is too much of a legal gray area for them to care - after all, I can't claim any copyright on these. And Tim hating my guts over these posters probably doesn't help either. This makes it all the more amazing how fair and gratefully Limited Run Games handled the situation.

Edited by Laserschwert