Home

How much are you willing to spend on a game console?

The Source

How much are you willing to spend on a game console?

As you have noticed, game console prices are sky high. PS3 is rumored to run for $600-$1,000. Depending on who you ask. XBOx 360 is about $400 for the highend version. Now, I believe they will be made, so they can run on a HDTV. At the moment, you can buy a HDTV for around $2,000.

How much are you willing to spend for a game console?

Do you think that the game console market will crash because of these prices?

Not to mention the price of the game: $60ish dollars.

My plan right now is to buy an Xbox 360 and a HDTV when Mass Effect comes out. Small apartment = small TV. I'm looking at around a 37 inch model and the one standing out to me now is around $1,599.00. So I guess I willing to spend around $2000 total. I'd rather just save the money or buy another PC, but that game looks too good.

I don't think it will crash all together, but PS3 may run problems at that price and have to rethink their pricing strategy.

I wouldn't want to spend more than $300. With all the games and accessories such as controllers you need, that can add up to a very large amount. I'm waiting for the Xbox 360 to come down in price around Christmas time and I'm definitely getting the Wii for ~ $225.

Don't hold your breath on a 360 price cut. With the PS3 being 600+ bucks, there is no need for Microsoft to lower the price.

The most I will ever pay for a console is $400, and that's what I paid for my 360 that came with 3 games (which I exchanged for better games), an extra controller, and some other accessories.

I most likely won't be buying a PS3 for several years.

We all know that PS3 for 600$ is suicide for Sony. Unless its simply so amazing everyone must buy it (which I doubt), a 600$ pricetag for a console is simply too expensive. Remember the other consoles with such a price tag? They all bombed even though technologically, their were quite good for their time.

Consoles are made to be accessible to the general public. Granted, 600$ is still much less then a computer of equal quality, but I don't think the regular consumer knows or cares about that.

For me, 200USD too. Never bothered with something higher.

Don't hold your breath on a 360 price cut. With the PS3 being 600+ bucks, there is no need for Microsoft to lower the price.

Though that sounds logical, a price cut, as small as it can be, is always a huge marketing gimmick. People who waited for a price cut will decide to get it then.

It's not because the PS3 is 600+$ that suddenly consumers who couldn't get the 360 at launch price, will just up their budget for gaming and get the console. They might just wait longer.

As much as it takes to get what I need. Logically you can't get a "good" console for less than 150 bucks. So if I were to get persay a "next-gen" probably around 3-400. Of course, including games and other hardware that's necessary.

if i was going to spend any money on a next-gen console, it would have to be about $100-300, and that puts me squarely within range of the Wii. but don't hold your breath, kiddies. i'm a PC fanboy, and there ain't much out there that's gonna change that, especially since i'm not very impressed with this lineup of next-gen systems.

I wouldn't go over the $200 US mark myself, I just cannot see spending more than that for a console.

I agree.

When I bought my X-Box, I spent $150 for the system. I cannot see spending anything more than $200 for a system as well. I find the price of games to be insane. I usually wait until they hit $20 to $30 dollars.

If I am going to spend $1,000 dollars on something, I will buy a supped up pc.

My plan right now is to buy an Xbox 360 and a HDTV when Mass Effect comes out. Small apartment = small TV. I'm looking at around a 37 inch model and the one standing out to me now is around $1,599.00. So I guess I willing to spend around $2000 total. I'd rather just save the money or buy another PC, but that game looks too good.

I don't think it will crash all together, but PS3 may run problems at that price and have to rethink their pricing strategy.

You stole me idea :p

I'm all ready to buy myself a standard (CRT) widescreen TV for Wii games. I mean we do have a BIG widescreen TV in the house, but the one in my room isn't widescreen so yeah... it should cost me about 400AUD (304USD) - 500AUD (380USD) to get a very decent one and should last me around 5-6 years until HDTVs finally become the standard in the home XD Which is around the lifespan of the Wii/Xbox360/PS3 generation anywayz lol.

But yeah, soley on the game front when you buy a system, it's more than just the price of the console you're buying, it's the games and accessories too. Wii, while being the most affordable will still be very expensive for me. I expect things to work out like this if I bought the bare minimum I want for the Wii...

Wii Console* = 260AUD (199USD lol)

1 Extra Controller (Wiimote + Nunchaku) = 50AUD

1 Traditional Controller = 50AUD

1 Component Cable = 40AUD

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption = 100AUD

Red Steel = 100AUD

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess = 100AUD

*Wii Console = 1 Wii System, 1 Wiimote, 1 Nunchaku attachment, 1 A/V Cable, 1 Power Cable, 1 Sensor Bar.

So that adds up to 700AUD... which in the end is very expensive... but I've gotten quite a lot of stuff there that will last me for awhile so I'm happy. Twilight Princess is said to last me 80hours at least lol :D

Also on a final note, the sensor bar has been shrinking in size ever since Nintendo released the photo's of it, shown it at E3 and have been showing it off at certain invited functions recently. Rumour has it that Nintendo plans to intergrate the sensor bar into the front of the Wii console itself and eliminate the need for plugging in an external bar. I really do hope this rumour comes true!

Also, this is just me, but I think Nintendo may be thinking about packaging 2 Wiimotes and 2 Nunchaku attachments into the console bundle... and possibly Wii Sports. I reckon Nintendo could do this very easily... it could be their version of a "premium" package costing 249USD instead of the standard version costing 199USD. Kinda like what the 360 and PS3 do but not rip you off by taking out key components in the cheaper version XD

No more than 300$ for myself. The thing is, I'm not willing to pay 60$ for the same game that costs 10$ less on the PC. Add on to the fact that you would have to pay a subscription to Xbox Live (I'd actually be interested in the PS3's online service since it's free) and all of the downloadable content it's just not worth it in the long run (Why the hell would you pay ten bucks for a few extra maps and horses?). Not only that but to get the most of your graphics you're going to need an HDTV, and it'll be ages before I get my dream 40 inch plasma.

In the long run, the consoles are going to cost you alot more than 400-600 dollars if you're looking to get the most out of them.

Archived