Home

[PC] Jade Empire General Discussion {no spoilers}

Pavlos

Wow... two CRPGs (this and Neverwinter Nights 2) in under half a year.

I'm wondering who will invest in this game. IGN has already posted their review here giving the game 8.6/10; the does review seem somewhat sparse on the negative side, though (too short and two years old).

Thoughts?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve played it many times on Xbox. I find the review very accurate. I was planning on buying it for PC, but I’m having second thoughts now. I do however strongly recommend it if you haven’t played it before. It is fairly short when compared to RPG of today, but it has a very rich story with Bioware usual twist and turns. The interaction between the PC and NPC is very good and for those that like the romance aspect it is covered with Jade Empire. To me it was a very enjoyable game, but it just lacked the replay value of KOTOR or TSL.

Hmm, that's a change. IGN rated it 9.5 when it first came out.

It's been a while since I've played Jade Empire, but I would strongly recommend it. It has your typical BioWare 'save or conquer the world' story, but it's done very well. Like KotOR it has a plot twist, but was better played out in some aspects. It's more of a sudden shock than a revelation. And naturally there are villains with very interesting backstories and motivations, gods intervening in mortal affairs, and sects of assassins who want to kill you.

A relatively minor issue, but I liked how the villains weren't ancient evils who'd been forgotten for centuries. It was a nice change to have ones that were 80 at the most - I think the whole 'ancient enemy of years long past' concept is getting a bit overused.

It's okay in terms of gameplay. Unfortunately it doesn't use KotOR's combat system, but your character's stats will still be more important than how quickly you can mash your keyboard.

The NPCs are good characters, too. Some of the dialogue with one of your party members, the Black Whirlwind, is priceless. BioWare clearly based his character off HK-47 with how much he loves to kill things.

The evil course of the endgame was done very well, in my opinion. It felt just plain eviler than in KotOR or NWN 2, but I won't go into too much depth.

And lastly, the endings are a lot better than NWN 2's. :p

At the BioWare forums, one of the devs said that it uses 2DA files and has a similar modding system to KotOR and NWN. :)

Yup. ;)

Just need to combine a few of the crystals you find so I won't have to switch them out constantly... also add some points to spend into styles when levelling so I can play around with more than a couple of the styles to see what they are like at higher levels. Oh and got to get more money. :insertevilsmilyhere:

:xp:

It is a very short game, and because it's a fun game, it'll seem even shorter.

The PC version will have a few extras that the Box version doesn't have, but for the most part it will be about the same.

I'm just glad it's comming out on PC so a lot more people can enjoy it.

I love it and I really haven't heard too much negative on it apart from length.

I don't replay as much as KotOR, but when I do go back, I enjoy nonetheless.

Stone Immortal rules !

The PC version will have a few extras that the Box version doesn't have, but for the most part it will be about the same.

So far it seems that those extras will be things like additional fighting styles, weapons and the like. There will be no additions to the storyline.

But it's a good game and I enjoyed a lot. I don't know how bug free the PC version will be but the xbox version was for once well polished with no loose ends. I found that JE had a similar feeling to K1 in its atmosphere and dialogues (imagine K1 in a chinese setting)...maybe the writers were the same (there are also similarities with K2 but you'll see that for yourself when you play it ;) ). My only complain is that it is quite linear and a bit short.

I liked the dialogues and the npcs a lot. There was just the right dose of humor for me.

I very much look forward to playing Jade Empire: Special Edition when it comes out next week. So far this looks to be the only game I will purchase this year.

The game's publisher, 2K Games, is offering the Rhino Demon transformation style as a bonus for pre-ordering. Check this thread on the BioWare forums to see if this offer is available in your region of the world and where you would have to pre-order to get it from. If you live in Italy or Poland though you'll get the Rhino Demon style with your game purchase regardless.

I'm wondering who will invest in this game. IGN has already posted their review here giving the game 8.6/10; the does review seem somewhat sparse on the negative side, though (too short and two years old).
I think it's rather strange that IGN gave the Xbox version a 9.9 and the PC version got ranked so much lower. I won't know for sure until after I play Jade Empire: SE but I think this apparent disparity may very well demonstrate why I should take game reviews with a grain of salt.

@ Emperor Devon and RedHawke - I would appreciate any JE:SE modding tips you are willing to offer, most especially along the lines of modding tools one can use on JE:SE. :)

@ Emperor Devon and RedHawke - I would appreciate any JE:SE modding tips you are willing to offer, most especially along the lines of modding tools one can use on JE:SE. :)

JE uses the same gff and .2da format as Kotor. Most of the KotOR modding tools available here should work with so you are already at the right place :p In fact I have seen a few mods for the xbox made with those same tools :)

Yeah, i'm planning to buy this game, since i've never played it on the Xbox. That, and i don't want to miss a Bioware game. :D

I think it's rather strange that IGN gave the Xbox version a 9.9 and the PC version got ranked so much lower. I won't know for sure until after I play Jade Empire: SE but I think this apparent disparity may very well demonstrate why I should take game reviews with a grain of salt.

Don't you think it has anything to do with the fact that a different person revewed the game?

JE uses the same gff and .2da format as Kotor. Most of the KotOR modding tools available here should work with so you are already at the right place :p In fact I have seen a few mods for the xbox made with those same tools :)
Ah-ha! Thanks for the info D3. :) I guess that reinforces what Emperor Devon stated. I wasn't thinking KotOR Tool would work with JE:SE but it sounds like that may be the case. I'll just have to try things out and see which tools work.

Don't you think it has anything to do with the fact that a different person revewed the game?
Oh yes, I'm sure that fact has a lot to do with it. :D When it comes down to it game reviews are just one person's evaluation of the game based on their own tastes and opinions. That person's view may not correspond with mine at all. In this particular case we know that the IGN reviewer for the Xbox version of JE thought the game much better than the IGN reviewer for the PC version of the game did. At the end of the day it's just different opinions from two different people, despite the fact that both write reviews for IGN. ;)

I wasn't thinking KotOR Tool would work with JE:SE but it sounds like that may be the case. I'll just have to try things out and see which tools work.

We'll put tk to work if it doesn't, anyway. :xp:

When it comes down to it game reviews are just one person's evaluation of the game based on their own tastes and opinions. That person's view may not correspond with mine at all.

In most cases, yes. Graphics play a large role in a lot of reviews, for whatever reason.

Another thing to note is how this game's been out for a while. Most ones ported to other platforms (usually a few months after the initial release) tend to get lower reviews from what I've seen. In fact, I can't recall any games that got an equal or higher score upon being re-released. :)

Maybe. There's also the possibilty of the game have remained the same in so many years, or at least, just a fw things changed. They should add a: "If you haven't played Xbox version, add 3.0 points to this review."

I've played this on my XBOX and al though I think its a really great game I found it much harder going then Kotor. I finally broke down and bought the strategy guide to help me a bit.

RedHawke I can't wait to see what Mods you could come up with this game, it would tempt me to buy it for the pc.

One thing I would love to see if anyone has the inclination is the ability to have more then one NPC with you, as in Kotor. I think with just one companion you are unfairly matched at times and possibly why I struggled at some points when being attacked by many enemies.

The overwhelming choice of styles and upgrades is also a bit daunting make it hard for a first time player to use their upgrade points wiseley so you end up with a lot of abilities but you're not really proficient in any of them effectively enough.

But Sky makes up for it ;)

Yup. ;)

Just need to combine a few of the crystals you find so I won't have to switch them out constantly... also add some points to spend into styles when levelling so I can play around with more than a couple of the styles to see what they are like at higher levels. Oh and got to get more money. :insertevilsmilyhere:

:xp:

It would be nice if you released these to the general population. :cool:

Archived