Home

Does anyone else agree that...

Out of all three Prequel movies, Ep II is the most pointless one...

Whether it's the boring and pointless storyline or the title itself, it absolutely makes no sense besides page filling...

Ep I gives us a good starting point (not to mention Qui-Gon and Maul are brilliant, and if you manage to blank Jar Jar out, the movie is quite enjoyable), Ep III gives us an amazing link to the OT, with amazing duels and reasonably good acting, but most of all great visuals and emotions...

Besides its last half hour maybe, Ep II gives us nothing at all, didly squat if you ask me...

Thoughts?

Ep II was the greatest!

Well, actually, could have been great. I went in, saying, "Oh my god, this would be so cool. I get to see insane Clones go and blow up the Republic. Awesome! Let see how the Empire got formed..."

And then I went out saying, "Bah. If the whole war was against droids, shouldn't it be called the Droid Wars?"

Besides, I rather we see all of the Clone Wars battles in that movie, not just the opening "battle".

I actually like EpII a lot, though I do admit that it falls a bit flat. I don't really need to mention the dialogue being trash since it's a given if Lucas is writing the material himself. As a love story, it's mishandled. Calling it badly paced wouldn't be inaccurate. To boot, it's the most difficult of the movies for non-fans to enjoy out of context. (Some will argue that honor [sic] goes to EpI, but the reactions of both my sister and my father to EpII while we watched it with my little cousins cemented my opinion in that regard)

I think it suffers--very simply--from not being the first prequel nor the lead-in to the original trilogy. It functions, in a way, as nothing more than a placeholder...but unlike Empire--whose dramatic swells are completely character-driven--it ends on a major plot point, setting the stage for EpIII.

For all its flaws, though, it does have its moments.

I will never truly understand why people despise Jar-Jar so much and personally the reasons have never been good enough for me to dislike him at all.

I love all the Star Wars movies because I am not looking for a specific genre in any of them, but I know many that would disagree highly with me :p

Actually, Episode II tied Episode I and III together. Without Episode II Luke and Leia couldn't have been born... unless Anakin and Padme... well ya know, just not married.

Really? I didn't think Episode II was needed to tie Episode I and III together. :rolleyes:

Personally, I thought Episode II wasn't all that bad. Essentially must of it was pretty good, except the love story. We could have done with less of it and more of the conflict between the the Republic and the Separatists. Otherwise, I thought the movie was decent.

Ep 2 had it's moments, but felt too slow till the last 40 minutes or so. If you cut out the love story part, then it would probably have seemed better. Also, agree with SS that it seemed a bit of a letdown that the Clone Wars seemed more about using the clones as an army to crush a predominantly droid opponent and less a battle over the clones themselves.

I've actually grown to like them all. I wouldn't cut the love story, but George could have hired a writer to fix and improve the love story. I don't blame the actors, but the writing. Face it some of the dialog was pretty bad in iv v vi too.

i thought it was a pretty good movie, didnt gl even say it was supposed to be a love story? The tracking down jango fett/meeting count dooku was pretty damn cool! and the clone army being born, impressive. :) as well as anakin returning to tatooine and his first major dark-side action. :)

I like Episode II, but I can safely say that's it's not that good (meaning, it's my least favorite of the series). It could have been better, though. If we saw more details of the Separatist/Republic crisis and less of the so-called "love story", it would have been a great film. Or they could've just gotten better actors/writers...

Still, I like it just because it's Star Wars. ;)

Personally, I thought Episode II wasn't all that bad. Essentially must of it was pretty good, except the love story. We could have done with less of it and more of the conflict between the the Republic and the Separatists.

Like what I always say...

Less lovin', more action :uzi2:

Actually, I'd say III was the most pointless, because:

-There isn't a single surprise or plot twist in the entire film,

-The direction is stale at best, seemingly non-existent at worst,

-The dialogue is atrocious - and I do mean atrocious. I'm surprised that no-one has put Lucas up at the Hague for crimes against humanity with the kind of dross he wrote for this particular script.

-Several less-central characters (such as Padme) come across as little more than plot ciphers.

I'd say Episode 2 is the single most important movie in the prequel trilogy: Episode 1 and 3 are (imo) a good introduction, and a very good 'birdge' to episode 4.

Episode 2 explains quit a lot of things:

-General Kenobi?

-All the Leia/Luke dialogues about the Clone Wars, about how Obi-Wan had served Bail, etc.

-Origin of Stormtroopers?

-Mandalorians (for the n00bs; Boba and Jango Fett ;) )

-We see why Yoda was regarded a 'fearsome warrior' by Luke in Tesb.

-Death Star?

I think those reasons alltogether justify the excistence of Episode 2. We could make it non-canon if you'd like though :xp:

I think III is the best of the prequels, though II is not far behind. Both, unlike I, actually are Star Wars, for better or worse. I had inexcusable use of JarJar and not really much going on until halfway through. Fairly interesting story, but between the uninspired acting, JarJar, and Lucas' directing, it didn't amount to much drama, which is what the movie desperately needed. Besides, with Anakin being quite that young, the credibility of the later romance between him and Padmé is off to a rocky start to say the least.

I would agree with those who say that I and II should have been combined, since II is a little short on plot. I've always liked it more than I, however. The only bad thing is the Yoda vs. Dooku fight. Not that I mind seeing Yoda fight - it was cool in III - but in II it wasn't Yoda fighting so much as a rubberball jumping all around, i.e., preposterous, and involuntarily laughable, though not in a good way...

But II ended with Star Wars, and III began with it. I would have preferred to see an older Anakin in I and begin the Clone Wars there. The Clone Wars are interesting, but it's as if we only get to see the beginning and end of it, while the substance is cut content left out there for the cartoons and comic books to explore. Why couldn't we have seen that on the big screen?

I'd also have liked to see Anakin go from Anakin to Vader and actually be both in the same film. Yes, I realise people will argue that he did end up as Vader in III, but only in form - he didn't kill any jedi as Vader (in the mask, I mean), and he is still just whiny, little Anakin trapped in the mask. I wanted to see how he went from losing his last grasp on humanity (which we did see) to being the cold and ruthless Sith Lord we all know and love - there is a big difference between the Vader we see at the end of III and the Vader we see at the beginning of IV. Sure, we might see that in the tv-series now, but I wanted that on the big screen too.

I agree with Ztalker,

Episode II is my favorite of the PT, I can watch it from start to finish without any skipping, I like the good guys, the bad guys, the planets, the story, Everything, but I can't say that for any of the other PT films, EpI is cool but I only watch the last 12 minutes of it. Ep III is awesome, but again theres a lot of it I skip through.

Ep I- anakin is born finds his way into the Jedi order, Palpatine lurks around- Kinda guessed that.

EpII- only one where I didn't know what was gonna happen- Was pleasantly surprised, Origins of boba fett and his armor, anakin realizing his potential, more insight into why he could fall to the dark side, full Jedi battle, Yoda, mace, the beginning of the clone wars. Theres a beginning, a middle and an end, not just a means to an end.

Ep III- Anakin makes bad choice, gets burned, dons black armor- Knew that in 1988

I've actually grown to like them all. I wouldn't cut the love story, but George could have hired a writer to fix and improve the love story. I don't blame the actors, but the writing. Face it some of the dialog was pretty bad in iv v vi too.

The dialogue may have been bad in the first trilogy, but Donald F. Glut and Lawrence Kasdan are both far better at writing it than Lucas is, (viz: not just the scripts but the novelizations of all three OT films...) not to mention that the actors were far more capable of pulling off crappy scripting with their interplay....something that unfortunately cannot be said of Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman in particular.

Why Lucas thought he could be the sole writer after co-writing ESB and ROTJ boggles my mind.

Episode I was the most pointless one IMO. Pretty much the only way it tied into the overall story was having Palpatine get elected Supreme Chancellor and having Anakin get picked up from Tatooine. While important details, Episode I had an awful, non Star Wars-y feel to it for the most part - Naboo, the Trade Federation and the Gungans simply did not feel anything like the OT.

Pretty much the only redeeming qualities were the fantastic lightsaber duel with Darth Maul and Qui-Gon (one of the film's few okay actors). Apart from that it's more like a boring explanation about Palpatine's rise to power with Gungans thrown in than an actual movie.

Episode II was much more plot-relevant with how it had Anakin start to slip to the dark side, fall in love with Padme and unveil Palpatine's master plan to rule the galaxy, but the thing that killed it for me was the acting. Simply abhorrent. I could tell Lucas was trying to for a young and innocent-seeming romance with Anakin and Padme, but with how terrible the actors and the lines were it came across as vomit-inducing. Anakin acting like an emoish jerk to most everyone didn't help with it either.

III was great plot-wise but the horrendous acting offset it (again), but the fi;m would've been ruined even with good actors. The "Annie, I'm pregnant!" "You're so beautiful!" and "Obi-Wan said you've fallen to the dark side!" were textbook examples of how to write awful dialogue. That and it seemed ridiculously comical in some places... The high-pitched droid voices saying "Those are Jedi fighters alright!" or "Yer welcome!" were absurd. For Pete's sake, they're robots! Not life-sized children's toys!

All the prequels suffer from horrible acting and ridiculously over-the-top special effects. Such a pity... If Lucas' staff had had the guts to say "George, that's an awful idea," they could've been so much more... :(

Im not gonna publically destroy the films that i love. I genuinely love all of them. Yeah there are a few questionable things in some of the films and the tacts that change between the prequel and the sequel trilogies. But i love em.

Archived