Home

Euro 08

Well, on Saturday the European (real) Football Championships kick off, I am delighted to say that England's failure to qualify means I don't have to put up with morons telling me how a second rate team is going to win the tournament.

Fortunately I cannot see a repeat of Greece's anti-football winning the tournament again, but in truth the Euro's do show the quality of Argentina and Brazil, as I enjoy watching them far more than any European teams.

Still, I'm hoping Spain finally come good and play the football they are capable of, I will be supporting them and the Czech Republic myself.

What are people's thoughts and who do you think will win?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
since england aren't in it, i couldn't give a monkey's.

i'll probably watch the final though... i think spain or portugal are going to win it.

Martin Samuel over at he times, quite eloquently encapsulates my view; http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/martin_samuel/article4061072.ece

Being welsh, I'm used to my team not qualifying for tournaments ;)

Well, on Saturday the European (real) Football Championships kick off, I am delighted to say that England's failure to qualify means I don't have to put up with morons telling me how a second rate team is going to win the tournament.

Fortunately I cannot see a repeat of Greece's anti-football winning the tournament again, but in truth the Euro's do show the quality of Argentina and Brazil, as I enjoy watching them far more than any European teams.

Still, I'm hoping Spain finally come good and play the football they are capable of, I will be supporting them and the Czech Republic myself.

What are people's thoughts and who do you think will win?

I'm excited. I sadly don't feel I have a favorite this year, I've been sorta vacillating between Sapin, Czech Republic and Holland. I dearly hope you are right about Greece this time too.

I'm excited. I sadly don't feel I have a favorite this year, I've been sorta vacillating between Sapin, Czech Republic and Holland. I dearly hope you are right about Greece this time too.

Usually I'm highly accurate at predicting international tournaments; made a fair bit of money in 2002 (I though Brazil would win, Ronaldo top score and Argentina crash out in first round; had my article published on a now defunct website :D)

However I did not see 2004 coming at all, the most curious thing about 2004 is Greece didn't and still do not have a single World Class player. However I'm hoping the attacking abilities of Ronaldo, Torres, Ibrahimovic et al will over power the anti-football played by some.

Meh...I'll be there to watch all game. Too bad 'my' team (the Dutch) will be thrown out. We got the worst defenders in the world. Luca Toni must be laughing his a** off by now... :(

I suspect the Portugese will throw in a good pucnh this time. It's about time they prove themselves and with world-class quality players in every line they might actually do so.

I do think 'Ze Germans' and Italians will do fine as well. Germany has turned into a nice-to watch soccer machine and has a quality team. And Italy is just...legendary players on every position.

Martin Samuel over at he times, quite eloquently encapsulates my view; http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/martin_samuel/article4061072.ece

he makes some very good points and i agree with a lot of it.... however its still hard to get excited by it, when we're not in it.

it's like listening to someone talk about a great party they went to, which you weren't invited.

Meh...I'll be there to watch all game. Too bad 'my' team (the Dutch) will be thrown out. We got the worst defenders in the world. Luca Toni must be laughing his a** off by now... :(

At least they got into the 'big game' tourney.

The belgium team is at low low low low low low low, suck suck suck suck suck suck suck,... did I mention low play style/ spirit.

I'm not a super big fan, buts its always great to see your national team "fight" it out against another.

I am delighted to say that England's failure to qualify means I don't have to put up with morons telling me how a second rate team is going to win the tournament.

I believe my country will take the credit for that.

I'm upset because Croatia has lost their (2nd) best player, Eduardo Da Silva, we actually had a chance to win this year, and then he gets a double compound fracture in his ankle. Ah well, i'll just hope for the best.

I believe my country will take the credit for that.

Partly :) England do have no-one but themselves to blame, they could have got through loosing to Croatia twice if they had dealt with everyone else...

For example;

ENGLAND 0 v 0 FYR Macedonia

Israel 0 v 0 ENGLAND

A win in either of those games would have seen England in the play-offs, but quite simply if you can't score against Macedonia at home, you don't deserve to be in the finals.

Since Belgium is playing football at the level of the Fiji Islands and Bhutan at the moment, I usually root for Portugal, but I can't stand C. Ronaldo (arrogant bastard!), so I think I'll be rooting for Czech Republic and let's see, Russia, I think.

I'm cheering for Deutschland.

Since going to Europe earlier this year, I've took a sudden interest to soccer. :p Previously, I've only watched the World Cup in '06.

Germany and Argentina were the best teams to watch in 06, if Germany play that same kind of football I wouldn't be sad to see them win.

There is a website called Sopcast, where you can watch the football games for free, if your in the states and struggling to get coverage, it is also as far as I'm aware legal too :)

since england aren't in it, i couldn't give a monkey's.

points and laughs <<

England's pathetic and outdated long ball game has finally landed them where they deserve.

as for the Euros >> I cant wait

Ive taken a total of 2 weeks off work so I can see all of Turkiye's group matches and the end bit(finals) live. I have sat TV and will be recording all 50+ matches on my htpc, and watching them with mates with in my new home theater/projector room :)

I think France has a decent chance, and if Andrea Pirlo has a great tourney, Italy can make it too... Spain and Portugal can never pull it off in pressure matches..

It would be great if Turkiye had another great run, like WCup 2002, but Im happy just to see em there :)

haydi turkiyem!! Ne tutar seni!!

mtfbwya

It would be great if Turkiye had another great run, like WCup 2002, but Im happy just to see em there :)

haydi turkiyem!! Ne tutar seni!!

mtfbwya

Turkey have a decent team, I think you'll go through the group stages, but go out in the quarters, you did have a good tournament in 2002 :) I have a lot of Turkish friends and I do remember getting annoyed by people complaining about it not being a penalty in the first game with Brazil. (Everyone seemed to have conveniently forgotten that Rivaldo had scored a fair goal 10 minutes earlier which had wrongly been ruled out for offside.

Your opening game will be a very interesting affair, especially after events of a few years ago.

Portugal are good in pressure games, they managed to get to the semi's at the world cup knocking out England and the Netherlands, and got all the way to the final in 2004 ;)

Spain, well they go with the best squad, but can they finally perform?

Archived