Harry Potter vs. Lord of the Rings  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Harry Potter vs. Lord of the Rings

• Harry Potter
    • Lord of the Rings

*blinks*

*dies*

*continues blinking*

I believe that the "continued blinking," Rhett, is known as postmortem twitching. :xp:

Anyways...

Lord of the Rings, easily. Harry Potter has inspired kids to read, but Lord of the Rings just has an amazing plot. Harry Potter is just, "Harry learns magic. Voldemort returns. Six times. Gawd. That was predictable. Not to mention the epilogue to Deathly Hallows was terrible- that brought the series down by an entire point for me.

LotR... LotR... That's all that need be said. It's Lord of the Rings!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the Harry Potter is easier and funnier to read then LOTR, but LOTR have a much greater story to it. So in term of reading and rereading i actualy say Harry Potter, but in term of evrything else, story, movies, games and even universe they are in i say LOTR

Like someones said earlier, he loved the way Tolkien descripe evrything, i just find it irritating that it need to be one page descriping the area they are in. It take away from the action and the story that im intressing in, so thats why i will probaly never reread LOTR serie even when i think it's good

And i can't really choose one or the other, i want to take LOTR since it is a better story IMO, but not a story that i will read multiple times that i have been doing with Harry Potter. Hard to descripe what i mean in english, but hope someone get what im saying ^^

Harry Potter has some transparent characters I would like to throttle, and a style of prose that is clunky, basic and functional. This is fine for children's literature, but it's not exactly adult reading.

Lord of the Rings is on a whole different level (and so is the Hobbit, which could be more fairly compared to the Potter books). He didn't just use the English language excellently and intellectually (it is heavy going, I agree...), he also had to go and make another language to play with. The plot is also far more developed, and less linear and repetitive than Harry Potter.

I can see why Harry Potter is considered enjoyable and entertaining, and I'm thankful for the incredible positive effect its had on children's literacy and love for reading. But for a deep and intelligent story, Lord of the Rings has no equal: it's the big daddy of fantasy fiction.

And the films aren't half bad, either. :)

I'd have to say LotR. Minas Tirith owns Hogwarts in every way, and the Nazgul are much more badasses than Death Eaters.

Deathly Hallows spoiler:

Hogwarts coming alive in the movie could be pretty sweet. That would top the Army of the Dead from RotK.

LotR just has a much more epic story. that and i really enjoy Tolkien's writing style over Rowlings anyways. Tolkien was always much more detailed, and that's what i love when i read.

the other big plus is that the LotR movies where just better all around than the HP movies (thus far). and regardless of how well done the next HP movies are, its going to take a monster effort to top Return of the King. there is no other movie out there that tops it in terms of how epic it is.

You took the words right out of my mouth. And I must add, that The Lord of the Rings, has HOBBITS! That automatically trumps anything Harry Potter churns out. =P

And with LotR, the movies are actually pretty darn close to the books, I can't say that about Harry Potter, mostly because I haven't seen all of the movies (about five minutes of one of them), nor have I read the books... But I do know from what I've heard, and what I've read... Harry Potter just WOULD NOT appeal to me at all.

LotR, we get the Silmarillion (Sp?) and the Lost Tales (Vol. 1 & 2), and the lay of Berlain (Sp?) and the Hobbit, and The Children of Hurin, and the other one in that series..... oh, yeah, we also get the actual Lord of the Rings.

But, look at the sheer history and depth of Tolkien's world compared to Rowling's, it's just... amazing.

So, obviously, my vote was for LotR.

@Ray: Boring? LotR is anything but... unless you can't get out of the first book of the Fellowship. :giveup:

In both, LOTR demolishes HP. I really liked reading the the HP books, especially the later ones, and the movies are pretty good, but they cant even be compared to lotr.

Lotr has a story that affects all of middle earth, whereas the story in harry potter doesnt really affect the non-wizards until the last books. Also, Lotr has my all time favorite scene in a movie EVER, the last march of the ents. That scene gives me goosebumps every time I see it, and its not like thats the only good scene even, the entire movie is almost perfect. The only thing I can fault the movies on is not including my favorite whatever he is Tom Bambadil.

Lets see Epic story, Massive battles, whole world created, elvish, trolls, ogres, Nasgul, Sauron, Golem.... And of course Gimli.... Oh yeah LoTR wins hands down... And they did it in 3 books... HP couldn't finish it in 3....

And what wizard compares to Gandalf.... He even died and came back...

Lets see... Comparative based on characters

HP has Harry... LoTR has Frodo

HP has dorky kids with overinflated self worth... LoTR has the Fellowship

HP has a dieing gay wizard... LoTR has Gandalf the grey and Gandalf the white... Can't keep him down....

I have immensely enjoyed both series, but LOTR really wins without any question for me.

I love the detail that Tolkein put into creating not just a story, but a living world, one that keeps on going - and he enthused the entire of Middle-earth with a history almost as vibrant as our own.

And the languages... Elvish, Dwarvish, Black Speech, and more.

Each culture is distinct - and while tied to some real-world cultures, it's not obvious - sure the Dwarves are like Vikings, and Rohan similar to the Saxons, but you don't realise it.

I do like Harry Potter, but never as much as I could like LOTR.

Archived